Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

teeth loss
teeth loss
hello, I am looking for so answers. I am using a full face mask and since I have been using this I have lost 11 teeth. My GP and my dentist have no answers as everything is healthy in my mouth. I am not sure what is going on but it almost seems that it all relates back to using my cpap. I would love to hear from others if this is also happening to anyone else.
the dirtiest word in the dictionary is CANCER as it knows no age, gender and or health Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: theeth loss
You dont say how long you have used a full face mask, but mouth breathing, no matter what mask you use can cause dry mouth.  Over time, this can affect gum tissue, which in turn if not treated by your dentist can cause tooth problems.  

I'm just repeating what my dentist tells me.  

Now, only you know if the above has been a problem for you.  

I find it puzzling that your dentist says everything is healthy in your mouth after losing 11 teeth.   Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: teeth loss
There appears to be a correlation between OSA and periodontitis.

You may want to read "Putting Some Teeth into It: Connecting Periodontitis with Sleep Apnea" [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4507718/].

And, like OpalRose, I would wonder what the hell my dentist was thinking if you lost a number of teeth in a short period of time. Unfortunately, an infection of the gums can result in cardiac issues and other problems. I probably would seek a second opinion.

Best of luck solving the mystery.

BTW: My dentist noticed some tooth incursions (overlapping or touching teeth) that may be attributed to tight mask straps over a long period of time. And, possibly the use of a tight chinstrap.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been on cpap and do you use a humidifier? Since I have started cpap I am very religious on dental hygiene. Occasionally I use biotene so my mouth does not dry out.
Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I have been using cpap for several years now and no the teeth did not all fall out over a disease and other factors as I suffered a heart event back in 09 and between my cardiologist and my dentist we have come to the realization that my heart event was caused by OSA and stress.  That is where we start to wonder what the heck is going on as they can not find any underliing problems and we are being very careful in so far as the dry mouth effect caused by mouth breathing. We are looking for others that are having similar problems and I guess I will just have to keep looking for answers. On the brighter side(LOL) it has save me major bucks not having to have teeth pulled. I guess that at this point I have to keep smiling and cheerful so have a great day all.
the dirtiest word in the dictionary is CANCER as it knows no age, gender and or health Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also check your medications. There are a lot that are bad for teeth, like beta blockers. For me, mine looked fine on the outside then would start to fall apart, with hard, black insides. The dentist tried to patch a few of them but reached the conclusion it has to be something else going on due to the hardness. That's when he looked at my medication list, asked me how long I had been on some of them, and that's the conclusion we made.

Saliva is a very, very important thing. It's role in the mouth is incredible. The stuff in it helps with teeth and gum health by counteracting nearly everything we idiots feed ourselves. However, again, some medications cause dry mouth. Add in the CPAP. Add in lip leaks, open mouth breathing, etc, and it is just a problem that found a place to happen.

I don't see how a full face mask usage would cause teeth to fall out. Shift? Sure. Fall out on their own? No.

Why does your DENTIST have anything to do with the conclusion your heart attack was caused by OSA? Did you at any point wear a dental device by this person?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Altosnowman,

I also strongly urge you to get a 2nd opinion regarding the loss of your teeth, preferably with a periodontist since they are more experienced than regular dentists in dealing with complex issues like yours.   Please do this immediately as I am really worried about your situation.

And the person you go to needs to provide a plan for protecting the rest of your teeth.  After I had two teeth extracted last year, I was told in addition to regular brushing and flossing. to consume xylitol on a regular basis and to use a prescription fluoride toothpaste before going to bed.   In follow up visits, I have had zero cavities.  Of course, your plan may be different from mine but something needs to be put in place.

Best of luck.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
My gums have actually improved since going on cpap. I have much sinus congestion and am a mouth breather. Cpap has help my sinus congestion while I am sleeping and because I am using a full face mask with a humidifier my mouth is not as dry. Before cpap my mouth was dry most of the time.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 695 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  APAP Weirdness After Weight Loss Apnea23 3 578 03-11-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Front Teeth is hurting in morning. kdpatel 3 681 03-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  AirSense 10 Elite pressure loss Da93 6 848 11-06-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.