Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: testosterone
So far as I know Manu doesn't sell her organic olive oil in the US, sorry - a farm like hers is just enough to output for European health food and fine food stores, not enough for hypermarkets or N.A. export, although she did tell me there are people in New York flying her stuff in, but I assume they are too rich to know better.

But if you can find it, the type is Podere Millifiore. She does the best organic honey, too. Also agrotourism. I think I may have stepped over the commercial endorsement line here, if so, I apologise to the mods.
06-05-2015 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60

Other Comments:

Mongo, because of the rule of this forum, and laws that govern licensing of medical advice both here and on your side of the Great Divide, I cannot really comment on your list that you PM'd (and left off allowing a return PM, btw, so I have to say it here), except to say that you need to always keep on top of your doc and your pharmacist to ensure no negative interactions and ensure smooth usage, especially if any of these gets adjusted or a new one is added or one of these left off. This is a delicate balancing act, and I am glad you have a quarterback you can trust and who can give you good sound advice on this on your side of the Pond. This is good advice for all of you, btw - keep a good quarterback in your corner.

People, please remember that there are strict rules as to how far I can go on this forum, and even stricter rules at my licensing board, so while appreciate you keeping me in the loop and don't mind helping to clarify medical points that may be confusing to the lay person, I am restricted as to how deeply I am allowed to go into your history or what advice I can give when asked. nonetheless, always glad to be of help when I can be. Just remember that anything I may say should not be taken as final authority, your own GP should always be that. He knows your history and you, I don't.
06-05-2015 08:46 AM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(06-05-2015 07:33 AM)AlanE Wrote:  I'm all for homeopathic or natural ways when it works.

Sorry Alan, homeopathy is bunk. Paper after paper has found there is no scientific basis for homeopathic "remedies" and it is no better than a placebo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/ho...ys/6302722

https://ama.com.au/media/evidence-clear-...-treatment

There have been cases here in Australia when people have died after homeopathic treatment because they shunned conventional medicine.

"Natural" is also bunk. Please define "natural": Oleanders are "natural" but you wouldn't want to eat them. Likewise cyanide and arsenic are "natural". Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it won't kill you.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-05-2015 09:21 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

My natural T level is in the abnormally low range due to a genetic condition known as Klinefelter's Syndrome. Thus I've been receiving supplemental T since 1997. Tried the weekly shots which were a pain and the daily patches; finally settled on the daily gels. The gel is definitely more expensive, but the insurance picks up the lion's share of the cost.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-05-2015 11:15 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(06-05-2015 09:21 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  "Natural" is also bunk. Please define "natural": Oleanders are "natural" but you wouldn't want to eat them. Likewise cyanide and arsenic are "natural". Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it won't kill you.

Okay fair enough. Neither does it mean it will kill you. Unless you buy it at a grocery store. Happy Eyes

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
06-05-2015 11:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

I am reluctant to weigh in on homeopathy and "natural" remedies, partly because people have very fixed ideas, and partly because, like it or not, our health authority in this country recognise it along with certain "alternative" medicinal therapies, at least for insurance purposes. Nonetheless, there is no support scientifically for homeopathy in any way shape or form, and I am minded of the terrific experiment that James Randi carried out in France to show just how much wish fulfilment the researchers there who found support for homeopathy had been engaging in. It was a masterful demonstration of the dangers of looking for what you hope to find. In brief, there is no support for homeopathy at all within science, nothing to show it to be more than a placebo effect (never underestimate the power of the placebo, BTW, I use it daily in my practice - wonderful help, it is). In terms of "natural" means of healing, well, one has to define it - there are precious few synthetic medicines out there, most are made of things that are naturally occurring, some manipulated, but most are just things you can find yourself, if you are willing to go into the Amazon Jungle, of course, or scrape off things from under rocks and other icky stuff. The single most effective medication in the world is the lowly aspirin, and it is 100% naturally occurring. But I am against self-medicating, especially with "natural" remedies, because it can be harmful - there is a reason doctors and pharmacists study for upwards of a decade. Even the lowly aspirin can kill when improperly dosed.

Just a few cents worth of observation from a perhaps not neutral observer. Or perhaps more neutral observer than you can ever imagine. One may accuse me of either, it will depend on your prejudices.
06-05-2015 12:16 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

My doctor and I have talked about it and he feels it is not prudent in my case. My father passed away at age 56 from prostate cancer. I have outlived him by quite a few years and want to keep it that way. So far so good. I have seen in several articles, plus in discussion with my GP, there are still too many unanswered questions in regard to the cancer risk. So for now, We are waiting and seeing.

Homer
06-05-2015 12:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Sounds like sound thinking, IMHO, Homer. Good luck.
06-05-2015 01:11 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(06-05-2015 12:36 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  My doctor and I have talked about it and he feels it is not prudent in my case. My father passed away at age 56 from prostate cancer. I have outlived him by quite a few years and want to keep it that way. So far so good. I have seen in several articles, plus in discussion with my GP, there are still too many unanswered questions in regard to the cancer risk. So for now, We are waiting and seeing.

Homer

Homer, one of my lifelong friends' father passed away from prostate cancer. He made it a few more years than your dad. But, when it came to the son (my buddy) they started watching his PSA early; and it did keep climbing. My friend had to have it removed in his 50's. I don't even want to think about how they did the needle biopsies for that.

My contraindications for T-supplementation are cardiovascular.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-05-2015 01:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I can now have my PSA tested each year and have it covered by insurance. Was an expensive test before.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
06-05-2015 03:07 PM