Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RE: testosterone
(06-05-2015 12:16 PM)DocWils Wrote:  I am reluctant to weigh in on homeopathy and "natural" remedies,

It's okay Doc and DeepBreathing. I appreciate the information. I would rather not fall for some scam that could be dangerous. Shy

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 03:09 PM by AlanE.)
06-05-2015 03:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

(06-04-2015 07:20 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Review your meds: Opioid drugs such as fentanyl, MS Contin, and OxyContin, [...] all can take a toll on your body's natural way of producing testosterone. So review your meds with your doc and if you need to adjust them, do so - but do not stop taking them on your own just because of the testosterone levels in your body - they are there to help in other ways.

The doc has spoken.

Please read disclaimer below, nonetheless.

/sigh

Guess that's the "why" for me. My 'count' is *very* low, and my pain Doc actually suggested trying it - due to cost, have not done so.
Not sure how 'low T' relates to 'pain', or dealing with chronic pain?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
06-05-2015 06:39 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Peter,

The relationship with lowered testosterone levels and growth of pain is a bit sideways in terms of relationship - low testosterone can lead to weight gain, and weight gain can cause osteoarthritic pain.

On the other hand, chronic pain can be treated to a small degree by elevating testosterone levels to the norm. Contrary to popular belief, adequate testosterone serum levels are required in males and females (yes, women have it too and need it too) not just for libido and sexual function but also for cellular growth, healing, maintenance of muscle mass and bone, and central nervous system maintenance of opioid receptors, thus, a lack of testosterone activity in the central nervous system may result in poor pain control, depression, sleep disturbances, and lack of energy and motivation.

However, it does not mix well with other meds, as I have previously stated. Before trying to use artificial testosterone boosting agents, I would suggest attempting to boost it as I described before, via diet and exercise. These methods as I described earlier will not act in contraindication to your meds regime.
06-05-2015 07:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Thanks Doc~! Mostly, my exercise is limited to the yard-work I do in my neighborhood, and miles ridden on my recumbent trike. Even with the new knees, walking is just plain too painful most of the time. Starting last winter, I am now in a indoor pool in the winter months, so I am trying - course it's like the chicken and the egg - exercise causes more pain, but no exercise makes pain go up quicker (if that makes any sense) - sorta like I feel damned either way...

I know, it's my life so I gotta live it, right?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
06-06-2015 12:52 AM
cant_sleep_in_nj Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S8
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Also use a transcend II for travel with a mirage quattro full face mask

My T level was low end of normal for my age. No issues with anything other than sleep. been using axiron gel to absorb and it makes a difference in my sleep. I stopped using it for a week or two, had to start it back up. the downside is you will absolutely be chasing your wife/GF all around the house MUCH MORE....its like being 15 again in that way

had to get a quick blood test for it for the first 6-9 months to make sure i was absorbing the right amount and I assume the PSA levels.

Another note, it definitely helps me stay focused on my diet. when im cutting back on the test, i tend to cheat more or eat badly all together.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 01:20 PM by cant_sleep_in_nj.)
06-06-2015 01:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(06-05-2015 01:50 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 12:36 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  My doctor and I have talked about it and he feels it is not prudent in my case. My father passed away at age 56 from prostate cancer. I have outlived him by quite a few years and want to keep it that way. So far so good. I have seen in several articles, plus in discussion with my GP, there are still too many unanswered questions in regard to the cancer risk. So for now, We are waiting and seeing.

Homer

Homer, one of my lifelong friends' father passed away from prostate cancer. He made it a few more years than your dad. But, when it came to the son (my buddy) they started watching his PSA early; and it did keep climbing. My friend had to have it removed in his 50's. I don't even want to think about how they did the needle biopsies for that.

My contraindications for T-supplementation are cardiovascular.

justMongo,

I get mine tested every year at the same time I get my other labs done for my statins and the like. We have a real good baseline and it includes results from two different labs. BTW, my insurance covers all of this.
06-08-2015 12:09 PM
Adoniscmj Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense10 Autoset for her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6 to 9
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(06-04-2015 04:37 PM)AlanE Wrote:  Last visit to the GP he asked me how my libido was. Not his business so I said nothing. He asked if ordering a testosterone check would be needed. I said why not. The whole testosterone thing for a guy my age is sketchy at best. And even if it is low, I've heard more about how bad supplements are compared to just living without a 'desire'. don't get me wrong, this isn't a "I've fallen and can't (it) get up" scenario. :grin:

I guess my question is, if you know or heard anything - do testosterone treatments really work or are they just not worth it? So many side effects and lawsuits it makes me want to just forget the whole thing.

I am on testosterone because I have Crohns disease and my immune system attacks other things as well as my intestines and stomach. I found out that my T level was at 20 that is lower than a woman. My immune system had damaged my testicles so they don't produce testosterone any more. The lack of T has led to depression, lack of energy, osteoperosis, and assorted other problems. In my case I needed hormone replacement therapy. It can be harmful to those that don't need it as a high T level can cause organ damage. You have to weight the pro's and con's to decide whether it is worth the risk.
06-30-2015 12:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board