Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

the event flag column
RE: the event flag column
jaswilliams,

I think the backup rate (resp. rate?) is set at 12. The Resmed Aircurve ST machine that I’m currently using is not only disrupting my sleep, but also suffocating me in the middle of the night. I keep waking up gasping for air. Since I just got the machine about a week ago, I’m going to give it another week. If by next week I don’t see an improvement, I’m changing doctors.
How does the EERS with CPAP work? So the ASV machine did not work for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
You should not wake up gasping for air, not even at first. Getting used to CPAP/etc. mostly involves getting used to having a mask strapped to your face and all the new sounds/sensations. Breathing should be working from the start.

A backup rate of 12 seems OK, since it makes sure you're breathing at least every 5 seconds. But what ASV will do that S/T won't is increase your IPAP each breath until you start breathing again. (And ASV generally has an option to match your breathing rate, so if you're breathing at 15 bpm, it'll trigger after 4 seconds, not 5.)

EERS is a non-standard therapy based on the theory that complex apnea is caused by hypocapnia (too little CO2). The idea is that some people are very sensitive to CO2 levels, and if they drop due to the continuous fresh air of CPAP, their respiratory effort drops. To counter that, with EERS you block the vents on the mask, and insert an exhalation valve a little farther down the tubing. That means you're re-breathing a small amount of your own CO2. It does seem to be controlling my centrals quite well, and having constant pressure is less disruptive to my sleep than fighting with the machine's idea of when I should be breathing.

But even the DMEs that provide the equipment won't modify the masks, they just pass on the instructions from the doctor on how to do so. They don't want to be liable if something happens. I can understand. So I can't imagine your doctor would be interested in something that creative or risky (from a liability standpoint).
Post Reply Post Reply
Two Wiki Articles to review.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...tral_Apnea
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS)
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred,
Thank you for the articles. I will definitely read them.
Post Reply Post Reply
sawinglogz,

If the ASV machine does not treat my central apnea, I’m definitely asking my future doctor for the EERS treatment. Better than surgery (inspire device), I think. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor does the Inspire device, but doesn't recommend it for everybody.

The ASV did treat my central apnea: I was getting AHI of 0.0 or 0.1 every night.

But that was the catch: despite completely controlling my respiratory symptoms, I just wasn't getting restorative sleep after years on it.

So I'd definitely give ASV a shot if I were you.
Post Reply Post Reply
ASV is the traditional and proven therapy
Post Reply Post Reply
The ASV works fine for me. I am using an older Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt as I got a great deal on Dotmed it’s great... I was prescribed an ST it kind of worked for me after I modified the rise time to prevent it feeling like being kicked in the face with a wall of air when it switched from Epap to ipap. An ASV is lovely to sleep with, and most nights my ASV is 0.0-0.2
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

[b]sawinglogz Okay [/b]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  manual event logging for oscar capman 2 128 03-07-2024, 02:06 PM
Last Post: capman
  OSCAR code and event flags? PeaceLoveAndPizza 0 398 12-12-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Event type display MarkChap 8 911 09-16-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Quick OSCAR Question re Custom Event Flagging AndyB 3 718 06-06-2023, 08:32 AM
Last Post: AndyB
  Event Logging - Pressure at Time of Event esleepie 2 547 05-07-2023, 08:52 PM
Last Post: esleepie
  User Flag 1 and 2 YouTakeMyBreathAway 5 548 02-06-2023, 11:18 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
  Respironics and disabling VS2 event spetzal 2 534 12-11-2022, 04:44 PM
Last Post: spetzal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.