Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

the gas was so bad...
RE: the gas was so bad...
(05-10-2016, 07:41 PM)plaidwandering Wrote: well set max to 9.5 and put it on before an afternoon nap that I figured would be 15 minutes

woke up 50 minutes later super light-headed, swimming feeling like the first night that I didn't fall asleep with it on. Stomach is iffy too, still feels like it got pumped up. It isn't giving me an AHI for the nap, maybe it only does that for longer periods?
Set the max pressure at 9cm for now and see if the stomach can handle that.

The machine's LCD only updates once a day at noon GMT since you are using a PR machine. The LCD's AHI is based on all the data recorded in a 24-hour period that runs from noon to noon GMT. You should find out what noon GMT translates to in your local time.

Your machine is compatible with SleepyHead, and if you want to see the data before it updates, you can pop the SD card out of the CPAP and load the data into SH at any time of the day. SH will show you all the data on the card.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 09:33 PM)Hmm888 Wrote: I had a major bout with aerophagia when first started CPAP. I took me a lot longer than most people to adapt to CPAP, but I toughed it out. I wonder if your body gets used to the pressure and adapts over time?
Short answer: Yes, most people's bodies do adapt CPAP and often aerophagia becomes less of an issue over time. And for many people, the amount of pressure their stomach can tolerate without triggering aerophagia also increases with time.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had aerophagia quite bad when I started. My doctor and DME both wanted to switch me to a BiPAP. After that I had to take over and lower the pressure myself. Then I got an auto-BiPAP, which allowed me to spend more time at lower pressures. I still swallow some air, but all it does is cause a bit of flatulence. No discomfort.

I agree with all the good advice you've gotten so far in this thread. Keep bugging your doctor until you are comfortable. Do not give up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 02:06 PM)plaidwandering Wrote: Joking aside, I managed to sleep 6.5 hours on my machine. I remember waking up several times in the night with a brief thought of "I feel like I should burp" before conking back out.

Had RT check data for mask leak and none found, so don't need a different mask or chin strap.

The pain and nausea are too severe for me to 'just do it' for a while to see if my esophagus learns to block out the air.

I had this happen.. turned out my chin strap was too close to my throat and pushed open my epiglottal sphincter when I relaxed. Folding the strap away so it wasn't against my throat fixed this for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not using a chin strap, I guess that sentence could be read two ways. I meant I don't need one, because I'm not leaking.

Didn't get anywhere with it on 9, hadn't fallen asleep by 1:30 and had to give up for the night so I could function at work

I would like to think everyone for all the responses and encouragement
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.