Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is more better? EPR, Pressure, Humidity
Is more better? EPR, Pressure, Humidity
As I look at everyone's settings, I think mine are too generic. I only had an in home study and so the Dr. prescribed the auto PAP and had the pressure set from 4 to 16, the EPR off, and the humidity at 4. After 2 months, I have discovered many things and each time I learn something new, I have more questions.

I am on therapy 7 to 9 hours every night and my sleep, or lack of sleep is divided into 2 distinct sessions. The first 4 hours I get good sleep (so to speak). And the next 4 hours are pure hell with very little sleep. I feel like I am in a battle with the machine. I have looked at the SleepyHead reports and something is happening but nothing obvious from the report.

I changed the EPR from off to 1, and upped the min pressure from 4 to 5 and this made a world of difference. Min pressure at 4 is actually uncomfortable. Feel like I am struggling to get air in. Min at 5 was much better. Hence, the question "Is more better?"

Also I noticed my pressure (on average) rises throughout the night. I changed the humidity from 4 to 6. Can too much humidity (besides the obvious) gum up the mask vent and cause the pressure to rise?

I don't think changing the min pressure will hurt anything like the max pressure will but it will change the high/low range of my therapy.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is more better? EPR, Pressure, Humidity
First off, humidity and EPR are "comfort settings" and should be adjusted purely on your preference. For me, 4 was too low and dried me out. I'm now regularly using humidity at 5 with my heated hose maxed out at 86 deg F, and I find that is the best happy medium for me. If I raise the humidity any further, I get excessive condensation in the hose and mask (i.e. rainout), which causes a lot of problems in the A10 (machine shutoffs, inaccurate data, etc.). I sleep in a cool room (60-66 deg F usually), which makes my setup especially susceptible to rainout.

To address your question about humidity "gumming up" the mask - as long as the humidity isn't condensing, it's not a problem, but as soon as condensation starts building up, it can indeed block the P10 vents, which prevents the exhaust and exchange of air that is necessary to keep carbon dioxide levels down and oxygen levels up. If the relative concentration of those gases gets out of balance, you'll wake up feeling like you're suffocating or at best have a headache the next day.

Pressure, on the other hand, is NOT a comfort setting. It is obviously the most critical setting in your therapy, and it appears that your pressure range is too broad. In particular your starting pressure is probably too low, especially if you're using EPR, which essentially subtracts x cm H2O (where x = EPR setting) from your pressure setting on exhale to make exhale easier. You were correct to raise it from 4 to 5, but I bet you would get better results from an even higher minimum.

To optimize pressure, you will need to carefully analyze your data in Sleepyhead. Look at long-term trends, not just one day or even week - are you regularly hitting your maximum pressure (if not, lower it), does pressure quickly rise from your minimum pressure as soon as you fall asleep and start having apnea events (if so, then raise it), where is your pressure for most of the night, does there appear to be a sweet spot or range?

You didn't mention what your AHI's have been, but if they are under control, these will just be tweaks. I imagine with a relatively high max pressure, you don't have them once your therapy gets going, but you might have them earlier in the night since you're starting so low. Again, this is information you can extract from your Sleepyhead data.

If you would like more specific guidance, consider posting your data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see that you're using SleepyHead. What is it telling you about your settings? Playing with your settings won't hurt you. If you set your pressure too high, everybody will know it the next day. . . Can you spell "aerophagia"?

Most people don't feel comfortable with a pressure generally below 7. . . Again, it's a subjective call.

Too much humidity can cause "Rainout" which is nothing more than condensation forming in the hose and mask. It's not dangerous, just annoying. You hear/feel it gurgling and trickling in your nose.

Hang in there and enjoy the therapy!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rcgop,
You ask if more EPR, Pressure, Humidity is better....my answer is not necessarily.

EPR is a comfort setting to help you breath out against pressure. It can help you or not.
The only way is to try it. Set it midway to 2, see how you feel with it...you can always lower it or raise it. Some folk report an increase in Clear Airways if set at 3, so again you need to watch your results.

Humidity is another comfort feature. Some like it, and some don't. Again, try the different settings. Too much humidity can cause congestion, as too little humidity can cause you to feel dry.

I've left your pressure question for last, because this is "not" a comfort setting.
One thing, you've not told us your AHI breakdown and if it is controlled. Pressure changes should be made in accordance with what you are seeing on your SleepyHead reports, not by what others set their APAP's to.

I agree with raising your minimum pressure. A start pressure of 4 can make you feel starved for air.
Your start pressure should ideally be set 1 to 2cm below your 90% pressure number, and your max pressure should be set to 1 or 2cm above that 90% number.

Again, a lot depends on what type of apnea events you are having. Let us know your AHI numbers, and the breakdown. (Hypopnea's, Obstructive, Clear Airways)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2016, 11:55 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I agree with raising your minimum pressure. A start pressure of 4 can make you feel starved for air.
Your start pressure should ideally be set 1 to 2cm below your 90% pressure number, and your max pressure should be set to 1 or 2cm above that 90% number.

Hi OpalRose,

Start Pressure usually refers specifically to the Ramp starting pressure.

Regarding the Start Pressure versus Min Pressure, I think you meant Min Pressure.

Always good to read your posts, which are always filled with good advice.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 04:55 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(05-13-2016, 11:55 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I agree with raising your minimum pressure. A start pressure of 4 can make you feel starved for air.

Hi OpalRose,

Start Pressure usually refers specifically to the Ramp starting pressure.

Regarding the Start Pressure versus Min Pressure, I think you meant Min Pressure.

Always good to read your posts, always filled with good advice.

vsheline, thanks for clarifying,
Yes, I meant minimum pressure. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 275 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 115 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 137 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,252 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 404 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,248 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,022 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.