Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

the journey so far
RE: the journey so far
Minute vent measures how much air you breathe every minute. Your leak data looks good to me but you can have small leaks that are bothersome enough to wake you up. I had a mask that would leak air right into my eyes and it would wake me up. I would adjust the mask to get rid of the leaks and go back to sleep. Then 1-2 hours later wake up due to leaks into eyes. Repeat all night long. Was not fun.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
minute ventilation is a calculated number.

MV = tidal volume (in Liters) x breathes per minute.

Note that TV is reported in milliliters; so a conversion from milliliters to liters is required.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 12:47 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Cate1898,

Miles2go reported total leak which I take to mean that it is like the PR machines. The 24 l/min leak rate target is for only the unintentional portion of the total leak rate, which is what the Resmed machines report. Assuming that my assumption Big Grin is correct, miles2go's leak rate is very nice. If you assume 30 l/min vent rate then miles2go's leak rate numbers are between 7 and 15 l/min. Nice job miles2go.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(11-28-2015, 07:38 PM)miles2go Wrote:
(11-28-2015, 07:19 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Welcome to ApneaBoard miles2go!

How is your leak rate on your FFM?
thanks for the welcome! a quick look shows leak rate of around 3 and has been as high as 7 over the last few days. total leaks are-
min 37
med 40
95% 44
max 45

for last night. and they generally stay around there except for when i hit the 7. these numbers may be somewhat skewed. had a stuffy nose and took benedryl for two nights. my AHI was fantastic (1.07 and .097) but i've read enough to know i want to stay away from that stuff!

PaytonA: I was looking at the numbers above. I thought 24 was the max acceptable leak. Thanks for correcting me!!

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Cate1898,

I have made the same mistake. 24 l/min is pretty much the max acceptable leak for the Resmed machines but does not hold true for the machines that report total leaks like the PR machines. For those you need to know the mask vent rate which you can subtract from the total leak rate to get the unintentional leak rate.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
UGH! Math. (lol)
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Miles -

Here's what works for another beardy guy... I couldn't ever use a FFM... just not comfortable for me. But I've found that the seal on the ResMed Mirage Activa LT is awsome. It's a nasal mask, so a bit of a compromise between the pillows you've tried, and the FFM. And it's quiet - I've tried a couple different masks and this is by far the quietest one I've had.

Like you, the blast of pressure was my downfall... so I refused to accept a fixed CPAP machine. Working with an S9 Autoset is much easier - even on nights when I eventually hit 19 H2O, I never really get that blast of pressure, and it slacks off pretty quick when it starts to rouse me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 11:39 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Minute vent measures how much air you breathe every minute. Your leak data looks good to me but you can have small leaks that are bothersome enough to wake you up. I had a mask that would leak air right into my eyes and it would wake me up. I would adjust the mask to get rid of the leaks and go back to sleep. Then 1-2 hours later wake up due to leaks into eyes. Repeat all night long. Was not fun.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
i snuck in here last night and read your reply but just wanted to get to bed. but i did try adjusting my straps a bit. first attempt made them way too loose around the bottom and boy, did i get some leaks! tightened them back down but not as much as before. slept a tad bit better, but then my sleepyhead data showed a higher leak rate. grrr.

will continue to play with it. also, too, need to upload my data here for you all to comment upon.
but that's for another visit....

oh and thanks!

(11-29-2015, 11:53 PM)justMongo Wrote: minute ventilation is a calculated number.

MV = tidal volume (in Liters) x breathes per minute.

Note that TV is reported in milliliters; so a conversion from milliliters to liters is required.
hey! i was led to believe there would be no math on the test!Smile

and metric, to boot.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 12:49 PM)CHanlon Wrote: Hi Miles -

Here's what works for another beardy guy... I couldn't ever use a FFM... just not comfortable for me. But I've found that the seal on the ResMed Mirage Activa LT is awsome. It's a nasal mask, so a bit of a compromise between the pillows you've tried, and the FFM. And it's quiet - I've tried a couple different masks and this is by far the quietest one I've had.

Like you, the blast of pressure was my downfall... so I refused to accept a fixed CPAP machine. Working with an S9 Autoset is much easier - even on nights when I eventually hit 19 H2O, I never really get that blast of pressure, and it slacks off pretty quick when it starts to rouse me.

thanks for the reply! yeah i had thought of that one (or maybe similar) when i had decided to give up on nasal pillows. as i've said in another post, i don't like the limit of 30 days to swap out, so i'll stay with simplus for awhile.
i'm not on a fixed cpap; it's auto. but i still couldn't tolerate even a setting of 7 on it, even with smartflex to help with the breathing. this is much more comfortable and i'll keep trying to fight the leaks for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
hey, could someone point me to a help file or link as to how to upload my sleepyhead image files?

thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a little tutorial > http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 932 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,283 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 624 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,209 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,415 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 805 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.