Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Should we have an index, which includes the length of events, as described in my post?
This poll is closed.
Good idea
93.75%
15 93.75%
Bad idea
6.25%
1 6.25%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

AHI and length of events
RE: AHI and length of events
(08-17-2014, 07:38 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:
(08-17-2014, 07:06 PM)Ghandi Wrote: Seriously ..that should be criminal. It the first place they treat apnea because desaturation is harmfull. I dont understand why a doctor would't be bothered with 70 seconds events.

I feel the same way. That's why I'm considering replacing him and looking for someone more concerned about the patient and who gives more credibility to what the patient says. This jerk as much as told me that any recording I do will not be useful since it's not recognized as being from a certified source. It's not like I was applying for a grant, I just wanted him to know how my condition was affecting me and he countered by saying I only had 1.9 events in an hour during my sleep test and couldn't qualify for any treatment that Medicare would pay for. I told him "to hell with Medicare, I want something done now". It had been 5 months since my first visit with him and I was very desperate from lack of sleep and getting so depressed that life didn't seem worthwhile anymore.

I suppose I should be grateful that he finally agreed to write me a prescription so I could buy a CPAP machine out of pocket, which I have done. The S9 rendered a 16.9 AHI on my first session with it but I doubt that will impress the good doctor since the machine isn't one of his certified sources. I didn't sleep hardly at all in the certified sleep lab study so I don't see how they arrived at the 1.9 per hour figure when I slept less than 15 minutes tops. My next appointment is for Sept. 2nd so I've got some time to ponder his fate as my medical adviser. I have managed to titrate my events down to 5.7 and am sleeping much better. I now have hopes of returning to my old jolly self and worrying about something other than how I may sleep on any particular night.

Maybe next time I do a sleep test I should just hold my breath and grunt 10 times per hour and game the system. Bigwink

Sorry if my comment might offend you, but it sounds like you don't have a medical advisor but instead you have a "medical dictator".

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,319 Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 145 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 193 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 112 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 154 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,554 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.