Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

"this green thing"
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a r azor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the"green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart a** young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to p*** us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smarta** who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 07:10 PM by me50.)
04-30-2015 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Sex: Male

RE: "this green thing"
The first radio I built had a coil of recycled copper wire on a core of recycled oatmeal container and a tuner made of a block of wood and the foil from a recycled cigarette pack with a detector (diode) made of one of dad's old recycled safety razor blades and the recycled carbon from a dead D cell and an "ear bud" made from a bit of Bakelite and a lump of natural quartz. The power came from the bunk bed spring over my head. So with almost no negative environmental impact from me I was able to hide under a blanket and listen to WLW and the Red's game with no adverse environmental impact upon my a** from an angry parent.

gawd I sound like some old gas release...

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 08:17 AM by Mark Douglas.)
04-30-2015 08:15 AM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(04-30-2015 12:24 AM)me50 Wrote:  We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to p*** us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.[/font][/size][/size]

Cute story ME... Especially enjoyed the last line.
04-30-2015 12:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
truetopath Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR system one 560p auto with a flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resumed F10
Humidifier: PR system one
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I saw that in an email a couple months back, and I love it. It's so true!
05-01-2015 07:38 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Great commentary, thanks me50.

trish6hundred
05-02-2015 01:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

On the other hand, these are things that we old farks remind ourselves of as justification as to why we can't figure out the damx smartphones all those that are wet behind the ears have dangling from their cigarette pockets.

I don't know what the world is coming to............
05-02-2015 01:54 PM
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

(05-02-2015 01:54 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  On the other hand, these are things that we old farks remind ourselves of as justification as to why we can't figure out the damx smartphones all those that are wet behind the ears have dangling from their cigarette pockets.

I don't know what the world is coming to............

We who you talking about you old fark? SHa_biggrin5 If I stay with any smart fone at all (may go to flipfone 'cause I waste way too much time with a smartfone) gonna toss this ifone and go with something that will run a CyanogenMod to strip out the bloatware and spyware to whatever degree I can. One of my son's friends heard me cussing Apple one day and said I just didn't understand how to use my ifone and told him I understand it just fine. That is why I hate the !@#$%^& thing

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
05-02-2015 02:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I'm tethered to a company issued BlackBerry because of my job but I don't have a personal cell phone. My Wife has one which is probably sitting with a dead battery in the bottomless pit she calls a handbag. Blink
But I do own more computers than there are people in this house.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 02:32 PM by AlanE.)
05-04-2015 02:31 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

(05-04-2015 02:31 PM)AlanE Wrote:  I'm tethered to a company issued BlackBerry because of my job but I don't have a personal cell phone. My Wife has one which is probably sitting with a dead battery in the bottomless pit she calls a handbag. Blink
But I do own more computers than there are people in this house.

........ your name doesn't happen to begin with "Barack" does it?
05-04-2015 02:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

If I had a brother... he wouldn't look anything like him. Smile

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-04-2015 02:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is There Such a Thing as "Fat but Fit"? icyura10 2 219 08-19-2016 03:41 PM
Last Post: icyura10