Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

thrush from apnea mask?
thrush from apnea mask?
I have developed patches of white on my tongue. Dr has tried two mouthwashes and I am now on a 3 pill regimen of fluconazole. first 2 pills seem to have made the patches less distinct, but I may be fooling myself. About 2 weeks ago , I had 2 separate dehydration events, owing to a defective ac unit. also. I have frequent dry mouth episodes from mouth breathing in the mask, and I wonder if either or both of these might be partly responsible. If pills fail to correct. Dr will refer me to ENT. Not usually a whiner, but never had anything like this before.

Another thing: I wash my cushion regularly. but until recently -- when I changed to a new hose -- I never cleaned the older hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: thrush from apnea mask?
Hi nativedancer,
You mentioned that you have had dry mouth, where do you have your humidity set? To much or too little can be a problem. It's like so much with this therapy, trial and error.
Good luck to you with getting rid of the stubborn yeast (thrush.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Trish, good to hear from you again. I put the tongue to a family vote, and both son and daughter think it is normal. I conveyed this to the doc, and he said he would send me to ENT clinic if I wish, but left the decision up to me. I'll wait a few more days, I guess. Guess I'm the only one worried, eh? But I seem to get that way more and more, the older I get.

Hope y'all are well. Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2016, 12:20 PM)nativedancer Wrote: I have developed patches of white on my tongue. Dr has tried two mouthwashes and I am now on a 3 pill regimen of fluconazole. first 2 pills seem to have made the patches less distinct, but I may be fooling myself. About 2 weeks ago , I had 2 separate dehydration events, owing to a defective ac unit. also. I have frequent dry mouth episodes from mouth breathing in the mask, and I wonder if either or both of these might be partly responsible. If pills fail to correct. Dr will refer me to ENT. Not usually a whiner, but never had anything like this before.

Another thing: I wash my cushion regularly. but until recently -- when I changed to a new hose -- I never cleaned the older hose.

I experienced this once when I started to open my mouth (pre-chin strap using nasal mask) and my dentist recommended a mouthwash and giving the situation two weeks to resolve. He recommended sanitizing my toothbrush after every use and bushing multiple times during the day. It worked well for me and the problem did not reoccur after I resolved my dry mouth issues.

It appears that yeast bacteria are always present in our mouths and are held in check by natural factors. Dry mouth can certainly upset the balance that allows the bacteria to predominate as can stress, certain medications, and diseases like unchecked diabetes. Other than keeping your equipment scrupulously clean and having your doctor rule out other possible causes, it appears that your quest might be one of trial and error. Perhaps even switching to a nasal mask that can accommodate your pressure requirements and using a chin strap. Best of luck.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
srlevine1, i'm relieved to have your support for the dry mouth theory. i can't use a nasal device, however, wish i could, but i am a mouth breather and a ff mask is the only solution. also, i tried two anti-bacterial mouthwashes with little effect. dry mouth has always been an issue for me, since i first began my therapy over a year ago, but the yeast issue is very recent. there is possibly another factor: about two weeks ago. i had two separate episodes of heat exhaustion, both of which caused dehydration and sent me to the er for treatment. if the dehydration figures into the problem, the yeast may go away gradually, but if i cannot see any improvement soon, i will get an appt with the ent clinic here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2016, 03:21 PM)nativedancer Wrote: Thanks, Trish, good to hear from you again. I put the tongue to a family vote, and both son and daughter think it is normal. I conveyed this to the doc, and he said he would send me to ENT clinic if I wish, but left the decision up to me. I'll wait a few more days, I guess. Guess I'm the only one worried, eh? But I seem to get that way more and more, the older I get.

Hope y'all are well. Jim

Hi nativedancer,
It’s good to hear from you again as well.
We are doing well, thank you.
I don’t blame you for being concerned about your thrush, hopefully, that has cleared up.
I’m sorry I have been a bit slow to respond to your post, I’m trying a new Oporating system on my computer and I’m not sure if I’ll stay with it yet,or not. Anywho, you take care of yourself.

trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 611 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,943 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12
  [CPAP] Positional Apnea/Mask Selection rwhimlin 3 683 05-09-2023, 05:12 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mask leaks contributing to apnea events? Birder806 2 563 03-12-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.