Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

tidal flow question
tidal flow question
when awake my tidal flow is high and breathing rate slower, when asleep breathing is fast and shallow and tidal flow is low

the question is now low is to low?

I run close to 450 when asleep, sure looks small when compared to when I am awake
is there a place to look up stats to see if your data in a normal or healthy range?

it just looks so low, I know the increased number of breaths will make up for shallow breathing to a point, but there must be some range of over all volume per hour that is healthy and good and below or even above X to X for a given weight or size or even age where things are not so good.

thing is if one can not change it maybe one should not know or worry about it...lol

but maybe with knowing one could exercise ones breathing to get closer to the ideal range for the over all amount of air you breath, be it fast and shallow or slow and deep.

just asking seeing as I am new to all this and like to know as much as possible

thanks
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: tidal flow question
The only thing I know about Tidal Flow is that when it's high, you can't get the good clams.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am no Doctor, seriously~!

My assumption is simply to track your own numbers to learn your personal 'norms', so that if they change, *then* you can worry!

Compared to many here, I seem to breathe fast and light, yet when waiting for sleep to claim me, I find I am inhaling once for every two or three times that my wife does, yet still twice the speed of my one dog that snores Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I run about 500 during sleep; and my respiratory rate is around 15 BPM.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I run about 650 during sleep; and my respiratory rate is around 17 BPM. Those are Median numbers.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2014, 03:09 PM)justMongo Wrote: I run about 500 during sleep; and my respiratory rate is around 15 BPM.

(04-03-2014, 04:23 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I run about 650 during sleep; and my respiratory rate is around 17 BPM. Those are Median numbers.

OK, I'll split the difference -- my Tidal Flow is 580 and 15.6 BPM (averaged over the past 30 days).
Post Reply Post Reply
My median tidal volume is lower than yours, and it's not worried me (until just right now). Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2014, 11:17 PM)APAAW Wrote: My median tidal volume is lower than yours, and it's not worried me (until just right now). Smile
Maybe I will worry too. Although mine is about 5.25/12.5. I hope that's good...is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is different. I think all those numbers are in range.
As for space45, the OP, you just started Papping after untreated OSA.
One thing that will happen (that's a good thing,) is -- with positive pressure, you will restore some of the little air sacs, aveoli, that have collapsed due to OSA. As they are recruited back into the surface area for gas exchange, you blood gases will improve... even when awake.

Let me switch gears for a moment. Do you get a routine, annual flu vaccine? Also, if over 50 years old, you should have the Pneumonia Vaccine -- with a second dose 5 to 10 years later.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife makes me and the dog get all our shots.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 31 4 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 30 1 hour ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 448 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 110 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.