Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

too sensitive??
too sensitive??
Had a sleep study last night, could not sleep with all those wires and probes, 24 in all...had to take a Zopiclone after 4 hours of laying there...
anyway, apparently I have "serious" sleep Apnea...Have not see results yet, seeing my dr next week.

I spent two months on CPAP, could not sleep, felt worse every day on it. Took myself off, and have been sleeping so well...

I am wondering if I am just too damn sensitive for CPAP/Sleep tests. That on an unconscious level I am freaked out by these machines and just cannot relax??

What do you all think??

be polite now, lol...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: too sensitive??
storywizard When i get a pressure change i sleep less because i'm anxious about it.
My first night were the same and i take some sleep medication.

I think the psychological sensitivity you are bringing up could be the culprit. I'd suggest trying to read yourself to sleep with the cpap. Watching tv wearing the cpap. well trying to get confortable with it at home in differente settings. that way, when bedtime comes you will be so used to it that it could change your reaction and you could be more relaxed about it.

IT's justs my own to cents not a medical advice in any form. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually not a problem falling asleep even with machine, last night, well "first night syndrome".

On the machine I could fall asleep, just did not sleep deeply, then would wake up and not be able to fall back to sleep...

S
Post Reply Post Reply
My first sleep study was miserable, only slept a couple of hours, but was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Then a second study a couple of weeks later was needed to look at the central apneas. That one I slept for 20 minutes the whole night and had the worst nightmare of my life.

But, you know, they got me the right machine, and it has made a world of difference once I got a handle on some of the upfront issues we all have, and once I gave myself time to get used to a new way of sleeping. For me, this is really sleeping, and it shows in all aspects of my life.

My advice is to not link your sleep study night with your real nights to come. Give them a chance to find the proper treatment for you. And what you might feel as oversensitivity could just be the raw nerves we get from not sleeping as well as we should.
Post Reply Post Reply
I already spent 2 months not sleeping with a CPAP machine, I need to get a sleep study where I use a CPAP and they can see all the ugly centrals I get...soon I hope...

S
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2014, 07:03 PM)storywizard Wrote: I already spent 2 months not sleeping with a CPAP machine, I need to get a sleep study where I use a CPAP and they can see all the ugly centrals I get...soon I hope...

OK, I didn't quite get what the recent sleep study was for. Too see why you were having so much trouble? To find a better pressure? To see if you were cured? (Just kidding, sorry, me and doctors, that's another story).

If you have centrals it could be from too high a pressure on CPAP I suppose, although I'm pretty new to all this, but that's happening to my husband. If you have obstructives and centrals, you probably need a different machine. That's my situation. If you're like me, being on a CPAP would be horrible. No wonder you had problems.

Hopefully this new study will give them better info so they can get you on a better treatment plan, maybe with a different machine. Just keep on them so you get what you need.

Post Reply Post Reply
all of my sleep studies, except the last one, was not very good. the last one I had expected to be terrible because there was a few roaches in the bathroom. Funny that I slept the longest of any sleep study I ever had and I woke up one time but immediately went back to sleep. I guess I didn't want to walk or go in the bathroom because of the roaches so I just stayed in bed to avoid it at all costs lol
Post Reply Post Reply
I was so exhausted at my sleep study that a pack of wild horses, a stampeded of elephants and 13 zebras couldn't have kept me awake. I almost fell asleep while they were jamming my head with that glue crap to keep the wires attached. I was just exhausted.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2014, 07:35 PM)me50 Wrote: all of my sleep studies, except the last one, was not very good. the last one I had expected to be terrible because there was a few roaches in the bathroom. Funny that I slept the longest of any sleep study I ever had and I woke up one time but immediately went back to sleep. I guess I didn't want to walk or go in the bathroom because of the roaches so I just stayed in bed to avoid it at all costs lol

That's how I felt on CPAP for two months...

looking forward to the next sleep study...

S

Post Reply Post Reply
I am the poster boy for CPAP but didn't sleep very much at the Sleep Study, none during the titration portion although they reported some bogus numbers for that section.

Not your bed, not your pillows, all sorts of new things, going to bed when THEY say it's time, machines, new masks, new sensations, etc.

It's a wonder anyone sleeps during those things -- and I was virtually motionless 98% of the time, calm and relaxed (but not asleep).
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Sensitive skin conphil 4 434 09-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: conphil
  Sensitive to flow limitation after 6h of sleep McPhearson99 9 1,175 07-11-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: McPhearson99
  Sinus are sensitive to mask pushing against them tsgoodwin23 4 675 11-08-2022, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Sensitive to adrenaline rush hbp Bigtoddhere 0 623 12-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Bigtoddhere
  How can you tell if you are sensitive to higher pressure. Rcgop 9 1,745 06-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Last Post: tedvpap
Question [Symptoms] The tip of my nose is sensitive using the Amara View mask Rousseau21 23 9,778 10-30-2017, 07:09 AM
Last Post: brenda1967
  My oximeter CMS50I is very sensitive to hand movements, is yours the same ? djrem3000 2 1,221 06-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Last Post: ajack

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.