Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

traveling, don't want to use humidifier
traveling, don't want to use humidifier
Going on vacation this summer for two weeks (yay!).  Will be flying, cruising, etc.  I would rather not have to deal with the distilled water and humidifier tub on my AirSense 10.   Any gadgets for helping with humidification w/o using the tub?  From my (years ago) experience in ICU with respirators, I remember there was a thingie called a "nose" that let the patient use their own natural humidification.   Anybody know?
thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: traveling, don't want to use humidifier
You don't need to use distilled water. If the water's good enough to drink, it's good enough for your humidifier. Use bottled water if the local tap water is of uncertain quality. If you get any mineral buildup in the tub, wash it with vinegar when you get home. This has been my way of handling things for years and I've been to a lot of third world countries including Burma, up-country Thailand and Laos, with no problems at all.

Enjoy your vacation!
Post Reply Post Reply
We traveled over a month last summer, and just used local water. Wipe out the humidifier tub in the morning with a towel or washcloth, pack and go. I don't even use distilled at home, and that's been the case for over 12 years. No problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with others. If distilled water is your hiccup, just use tap or bottled water (whatever you drink).

When I travel, I use bottled water.
At home, I use my filtered tap water.

If you do want to use the ResMed without the humidifier, you can buy an end cap to go over (and seal) that area of the machine.

I don't know about the ResMed. But the DreamStation is obnoxiously loud without the humidifier - so much so it's impossible for me to sleep without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first CPAP didn't come with a humidifier; I used it for nearly a decade without any problems.

The last two times I traveled by air, I used the extra space in the CPAP's bag to hold my neti pot and pill boxes.  Medical devices don't count against your carry-on allowance, so I was able to take both my backpack (under the seat as the "personal item" and another item (my travel guitar) in addition to the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks for all the replies! Good info. I did not know about the medical devices not counting against carry-on allowance. Good to know!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your question asks specifically for a gadget that increases humidification and references reusing the patient's own humidity.

This gadget is called a heat/moisture exchanger (HME). It soaks up moisture from the exhale and then puts it into the new incoming air. It is available on amazon and at CPAP supply retailers.

I've never used one, so I can't testify as to how well they work. Just trying to answer your original question as asked.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Two things.

1. My husband uses the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with the siide panel instead of the humidifier. It is as silent as my Airsense 10 Autoset for Her with the humidifer.

2. Although a CPAP is considered a medical device and does not count toward your carry-on in the US, that is NOT always the case in international airports. I found that out when traveling in Europe. I had a small carry-on suitcase, my CPAP, and a TINY (maybe 5x7?) crossbody bag. I was told I had to consolidate into my suitcase before I could board. I pointed out that my CPAP was a medical device (even had a medical device tag). I was told, that's fine, consolidate if you want to board, 2 items only. I had to unlock and open my suitcase while everyone boarded. I was so upset, my hands were shaking, I had to find a place to lay my suitcase, I could hardly remember to the combination to open it. And I was practically the last one on board! I bought an AirMini as soon as I got home!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 552 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.