Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

true CA's and OA's ???
true CA's and OA's ???
Are these truly CAs and OAs on the attachments, or am I awake and holding breath to turn over?
Thanks for opinions.

[attachment=2223]

[attachment=2224]

Thanks
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: true CA's and OA's ???
No attachments, but the criteria for "true" CA or OA is that you're asleep. The machine data doesn't really tell us that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see the attachments now. The Resmed FOT is really subtle compared to the Respironics pulse. To really visualize the difference, try making that flow graph taller by dragging down the bottom and increasing the scale. You will see the flow fluctuation of OA is much smaller than CA. The compressed scale of your attachments just don't show that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2016, 12:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I see the attachments now. The Resmed FOT is really subtle compared to the Respironics pulse. To really visualize the difference, try making that flow graph taller by dragging down the bottom and increasing the scale. You will see the flow fluctuation of OA is much smaller than CA. The compressed scale of your attachments just don't show that.

Sleeprider: Thanks for your reply. I am not sure I understand what "flow fluctuation" means. Here are expanded scale attachments:
[attachment=2226]

[attachment=2225]

Thanks
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
So my thoughts:
Hard to say. For me I tend to get what is known as wake/sleep junk. OA' or CA's right before I fall asleep or right before I wake up. I can tell this because I actually wake up and turn the machine off even if I soon get back in bed. And then if the machine gets turned on and within 15-30 minutes I get apnea's well then it's on the going to sleep side.

Did the machine in your case correctly identify the apneas by type. Yes I think so, were the wake/sleep apnea's or true apneas? If they are not close to known wake/sleep times this will make it hard to tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
PoolQ:
Thanks for your reply. I thought that after an OA there should be a deep recovery breath, and I don't see that on any of my "OA's". The graphs just look like the CA graphs to me. Before the OAs and the CAs occur, I am seeing irregularities in the baseline that seem to mean that regular sleep breathing has stopped, and I though that meant I was awakening...then the apnea would either be a CA during arousal, or me holding my breath to turn over. But the OAs look like that too. So I am trying to figure out how to interpret this myself. I appreciate input from experts.

Not that I am worried about my progress, because I know I am getting better...my energy level is 80% better than pre-Cpap in just 2 months of treatment so I am pleased...just wanting to get educated.

Thanks
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed uses Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) to determine if an apnea is clear or obstructive. FOT are small pressure occilations (1 cm H2O peak-to-peak at 4 Hz), then uses the resulting flow and pressure (determined at the mask) to measure whether the airway is open or closed. http://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-p...ology.html

Here is an abstract for a study that compared apnea determination using FOT vs polysomnography http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12701337

Compared to Respironics which uses a 2-cm pulse of air and detects the pressure return, the FOT is not as easy to visualize in the graphics. When a Respironics pulse hits an open airway, the flow chart has a noticeable deflection downward, then returns to zero. A closed (obstructed) airway doesn't respond to the pulse. It's very easy to see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
So I looked at my OA's and the breath after my OA is only less than 10% more than some others and actually 10% less than some of my deeper breaths.

I am guessing that a deep recovery breath is more of a conformation of the Apnea rather then a requirement to classify something as an Apnea.

My apnea count is not consistent throughout the week. .15-1.24 index and every way between.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that you are right PoolQ. An OA is defined by a cessation of breathing for ten seconds or more with an obstructed airway. One can surmise that when one is trying to take a breath and is not able to, when that obstruction is finally cleared one would gulp a big breath of air. If the cessation of breathing is long enough this is probably the case.

It may also depend on what phaze of attempt to get a breath one is in when the obstruction clears. So the big breath after the apnea might not occur every time but when it does it seems to me it would definitely be an OA.

Those are my thoughts anyway for whatever they are worth.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2016, 10:11 PM)PoolQ Wrote: My apnea count is not consistent throughout the week. .15-1.24 index and every way between.

.15 to 1.24 per hour would be very excellent, to excellent, and everything in between.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you tell if these are true CAs and OAs? Kathy14225 24 1,346 11-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 734 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Are the machine AHI numbers accurate? 92 to 2 seems too good to be true? apoleary 5 665 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Mask prices to good to be true ?? sauerkraut 11 1,033 03-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,805 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  Dreamstation ASV VS Aircurve S10 ASV problems reports, with which reports are true?? racprops 0 432 02-19-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: racprops
  Need help reading reported CAs as "true" or "false" JoyD. 1 485 01-25-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.