Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

un-heated humidifier
un-heated humidifier
today is my 1st day on CPAP.
what difference does having a heated humidifier make?
my machine has a heated unit but i would prefer to just use @ room temperature water without the heater on

will this cause me any negatives?

turtle57
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: un-heated humidifier
The only problem with using it with the heater off is that it may not deliver enough humidification.
With heat on low, you get more humidification and by the time air gets to the mask it cools down anyway.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WJThurtell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2016, 07:55 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: The only problem with using it with the heater off is that it may not deliver enough humidification.
With heat on low, you get more humidification and by the time air gets to the mask it cools down anyway.

thanks GPSmapnut
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcone to the forum.

Without heat, you will not get the humidifying effect unless you live where it is hot and dry. Humidity is important to keeping the mucus in your nose from drying out. It is generally considered a comfort feature not a therapeutic feature but if your nose is dry, you may suffer sinusitis.

Walt
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2016, 07:59 PM)wolson Wrote: Welcone to the forum.

Without heat, you will not get the humidifying effect unless you live where it is hot and dry. Humidity is important to keeping the mucus in your nose from drying out. It is generally considered a comfort feature not a therapeutic feature but if your nose is dry, you may suffer sinusitis.

Walt

thank you - it is very hot & dry here but i will use it in future
Post Reply Post Reply
It's called passive humidity, that's what I do. Personally I can't sleep with even passive with a full tank. I put a folded up paper towel in the tank and get it soaking wet. Lasts two nights and is just perfect for me. (I do not live in a high humidity area and do not like humidity). Sometimes I just let it go dry for a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2016, 07:59 PM)wolson Wrote: Without heat, you will not get the humidifying effect unless you live where it is hot and dry.

Not so.

It is a factor of relative humidity.

I am not convinced that heated humidification is all that it's cracked up to be. I went for 40 years without any PAP or artificially humidified air overnight. Most of the human race does with no problem. The air coming out of a CPAP is no drier than the ambient air everyone else is breathing. (No, I don't think the miniscule pressure differential that the CPAP machines put out has that great impact on RH, in any meaningful measure.) Some folks try it and like it and think they #need# it from a physiological stand point - well, my opinion on that doesn't really matter ....

And I don't really "need" it. I travel without it and don't notice much of anything. I also nap without it in the recliner. Depending on recline angle, my mouth may crack open and dry out a little bit - but it does that without CPAP too. When I used an S-8 as a primary (back when I thought I liked ResMed machines), I never used heated humidification in the summer months (April-Nov here). Current machines, with more integrated humidifiers, make it harder to do that.

So, if you are using passive humidification and are happy with it, I wouldn't bother with the heated route. I would like to get one of the Respironics passive humidifier boxes just to have if needed in extended power out scenarios where I would NEVER think of using heated humidification while operating on batteries.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 01:21 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 07:59 PM)wolson Wrote: Without heat, you will not get the humidifying effect unless you live where it is hot and dry.

Not so.

It is a factor of relative humidity.

OMMOHY

You need to have heat in order to have humidty in the air! A higher relative humidity in the air that is breathed is what we are after especially since he lives in a dry climate. The will be a level of evaporation even without added heat but it will not be much. By adding, that is increased significantly.

[Image: UBEUPuF.jpg]

Walt

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
Point is you DO get humidification, not as much, but you do get some, even without heating the water. And that "some" is a lot more than most folks get during sleep. Heating water increases vapor pressure. Hotter air has more moisture carrying potential (lower relative humidity). I get that. I really do.

But frankly, we don't "need" the humidification. Billions and billions and billions of people (forgive the Sagan moment) sleep every night without added humidity. The ambient air a non-PAP bed partner breathes is the roughly the same relative humidity as the air breathed by the non-humidificated PAPer. Some folks get spoiled by the artificially high humidity and "need" it.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 950 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.