Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

understand the reported AHI
understand the reported AHI
Hello,

A newbie here, I was diagnosed with 8 AHI and my doctor recommended an Automatic CPAP machine. I've been using autoset for her with a p10 mask for few weeks now, about 4-6 hours per night. I still don't get good night sleep so I've been trying to analyze my sleep data... I want to understand in the attached image why does the AHI show at level 1 for about an hour even tough the CA event only lasted for few seconds? my AHI is 0.1 to 0.3 max for the last 2 weeks while using the machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: understand the reported AHI
That's because the AHI is 1 at this particular time.

Very simple example:

You start your therapy at 00:00 - at 05:00, one Apnea occurs, you end the therapy at 10:00.

At 05:00 with the apnea, your AHI will be 1/5, on 10:00 it will be 1/10.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope this helps clarify a little better:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ndex_(AHI)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, yes this is very helpful. So the AHI in the chart is based on the calculation of AHI. Why does the chart go down to 0 after an hour? instead of 1/2? I attached the full image. If you notice it just drops to 0 after the hour. A follow up question on the first image, the increased peaks and lows in the flow chart just before the CA event, is this due to the leak? There seem to be some correlation there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That's because you have three different sessions and the AHI is calculated on a session basis.

I marked the individual sessions for you, hopefully that makes it clear to you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Truthfully, the AHI graph is best ignored.  It mostly adds confusion and sheds little light. The developers have sometimes suggested eliminating that graph, but some people like it.

The way it works is this: when you have an apnea event, the AHI graph goes up by 1. It stays up for 1 hour, then that 1 is subtracted. If you had no other apneas, then you are back to zero. If you had an apnea in the middle, then the graph would go up by another 1, for a total of 2, and that new 1 would be held for an hour. 1 hour after the first apnea, 1 would be subtracted from the AHI total and the chart would be back to 1. One hour after the second apnea, the chart would drop to zero (assuming no other apneas).

What can you tell from this graph? If the graph peaks up like a mountain and then falls off, that means you had a cluster of apneas in a short time. (You can see exactly the same clustering on the Events or Flow graphs.) If the graph is relatively constant, your apneas are probably evenly distributed throughout the night.

It also shows how an events/hour index has varied throughout the night. The higher the peak, the more problems you were having at that time.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks everyone, learned a lot today!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 87 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 271 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 982 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 253 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 425 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Please help me understand why therapy is not showing results Paradox97 22 1,609 10-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paradox97

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.