Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"unmount" SD card
"unmount" SD card
What does that mean?  It sounds important, esp that there is a warning on SleepyHead, but it doesn't tell you what it means or how to do it.

Quote:Very Important Warning
ALWAYS write protectCPAP SDCards before inserting them into your computer.
Certain operating systemswrite index files to the card without asking, which can render your card unreadable by your cpap machine.
As a second line of protection, ALWAYS UNMOUNT the data card properly before removing it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "unmount" SD card
The "Write Protect" was for the benefit of a Resmed S9 CPAP. It didn't like any other files the a Windows machine will write to it. This has been fixed in the latter model A10.

Unmount; A computer doesn't write data immediately to an attached device. Instead, it will wait until the data size reaches a certain amount.  This reduces write and cpu cycles.  "Unmount" is a command to signal the computer that all remaining data in the buffer is to be written to the device and close the connection.  To perform this in Windows, you select the USB icon in the SysTray (lower right - where the time is displayed) and select Safely Remove  Hardware or Eject Media.  You then select the device.   In Linux (and probably Apple) you would right-click on the device icon and select, "UnMount". Just in case; another synonym might be "Disconnect".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2018, 02:38 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The "Write Protect" was for the benefit of a Resmed S9 CPAP.  It didn't like any other files the a Windows machine will write to it.  This has been fixed in the latter model A10.

Unmount; A computer doesn't write data immediately to an attached device. Instead, it will wait until the data size reaches a certain amount.  This reduces write and cpu cycles.  "Unmount" is a command to signal the computer that all remaining data in the buffer is to be written to the device and close the connection.  To perform this in Windows, you select the USB icon in the SysTray (lower right - where the time is displayed) and select Safely Remove  Hardware or Eject Media.  You then select the device.   In Linux (and probably Apple) you would right-click on the device icon and select, "UnMount".  Just in case; another synonym might be "Disconnect".

Oh my goodness.... I'm sure you simplified all that for a "non-techie" such as me, but it's still Greek to me!

I don't have the SD card inserted in my laptop (windows10) so does that icon only show up when it's inserted cuz it's not there right now?
Post Reply Post Reply
First, what type of operating system are you using? This knowledge will reduce a lot of typing for me.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
S.Ann, I would not worry about it too much. Just use the SD card to import your data to Sleepyhead and ignore the rest. Your machine is unaffected by system files.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2018, 03:16 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: First, what type of operating system are you using?  This knowledge will reduce a lot of typing for me.

Windows 10

(05-16-2018, 03:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: S.Ann, I would not worry about it too much. Just use the SD card to import your data to Sleepyhead and ignore the rest.  Your machine is unaffected by system files.

Awesome, thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
S.Ann,
So you know what the USB icon looks like, here are two images in Win 10.
[attachment=5926]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2018, 04:41 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: S.Ann,
So you know what the USB icon looks like, here are two images in Win 10.

Yes, I do, thank you for the pics tho.

But I'm also new to Windows10. I've only had this laptop about 6 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just like when you unplug any sort of memory device from your computer, you're supposed to click "eject" before unplugging it.

Apparently "unmount" is another term for "eject".
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2018, 05:48 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Just like when you unplug any sort of memory device from your computer, you're supposed to click "eject"  before unplugging it.

Apparently "unmount" is another term for "eject".

That's something I didn't know.  Does that apply to a phone when I'm downloading pictures, too?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 921 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,867 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  Downloading data to SD card of Resmed for nights that SD card not in ResMed machine Robert6 8 9,326 06-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: estgad
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,247 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.