Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

useless FL column in the Machine Settings log on the Statistics page
useless FL column in the Machine Settings log on the Statistics page
On the OSCAR "Statistics" page there is the log of changes to machine settings, and there is a column for FL. Mine is a whole column of 6-1/2 years of zeros! It appears that it's the average minimum FL, not the median or the even-more-useful 95%.
[attachment=31877]
I changed my settings 5 days ago, so it's pretty simple to look at those 5 data points:
Date:    Min  / Med / 95% / Max
25-Apr: 0.00 / 0.01 / 0.22 / 0.66
26-Apr: 0.00 / 0.03 / 0.29 / 0.45
27-Apr: 0.00 / 0.02 / 0.25 / 0.52
28-Apr: 0.00 / 0.01 / 0.16 / 0.40
29-Apr: 0.00 / 0.00 / 0.19 / 0.42
----------------------------------------
Avg:     0.00 / 0.01 / 0.22 / 0.49

I've got a 2-day segment

Date:    Min  / Med / 95% / Max
17-Mar: 0.00 / 0.02 / 0.36 / 0.60
18-Mar: 0.00 / 0.00 / 0.19 / 0.41
----------------------------------------
Avg:     0.00 / 0.01 / 0.27 / 0.50

(Sleepyhead does this, too -- first thing I noticed 6-1/2 years ago!)

reporting the 95%FL would seem to be way more useful, since that's the number that tells us if the FLs are low or high or ridiculously high...

Also on the topic of that list -- average of total time in apnea might be useful, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: useless FL column in the Machine Settings log on the Statistics page
That column currently contains the flow limits index -- an index of events. But ResMed doesn't report flow limits as events; it reports them in the flow graph. Thus this column is always zero for ResMed machines. It does have values for some other brands of machines.

We are considering changing what is in that column for ResMed machines.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, makes sense -- for ResMed machines, the 95%FL would seem to be the number we are most paying attention to.

However those flow limit min/med/95%/max numbers are calculated by OSCAR, right? That would be different from the other columns in that report, where it is simply the value reported by the machine.

And we've been discussing elsewhere that we really don't know which data regions the reported FL numbers are applying to. The particular sort of statistic that we are reporting there only apply if you are sure that the data at each and every time slice is real, and the data collection/calculation is uniform over the time slices. Because of how my particular data looks, I've been complaining for my entire 6-1/2 years as a Sleepyhead/OSCAR user that some very significant fraction of my FL data points that are being reported by the machine as zero are obviously ND or NC (No Data or Not Calculated). And the work that 2SleepBetta has been doing suggests that the calculation that ResMed is doing is working in the time direction is a very rich and complicated way. So simply counting the milliseconds that the machine reported each particular FL value (which is what you are counting when you are calculating percentiles of time-series data) is not a particularly exact thing to count anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cathy, you read my mind. I had discussed this with the development team just a few weeks ago. Hopefully this statistic is revised in a future edition.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All of the numbers are calculated by OSCAR, with the intent of replicating the numbers computed by the CPAP machine. We do that because not all CPAP machines report the same numbers. This can result in slight differences between what the machine reports and what OSCAR reports. For ResMed machines, there is a difference in the way ResMed and OSCAR compute AHI (and other indices). The ResMed machine rounds all session elapsed times to the nearest minute, then adds and divides into the number of events. Using the high-resolution flow and other data from the machine, OSCAR knows elapsed times to the millisecond. That rounding error in the machine can thus create a different (and sloppier) calculation.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2021, 11:40 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: All of the numbers are calculated by OSCAR, with the intent of replicating the numbers computed by the CPAP machine. We do that because not all CPAP machines report the same numbers. This can result in slight differences between what the machine reports and what OSCAR reports. For ResMed machines, there is a difference in the way ResMed and OSCAR compute AHI (and other indices). The ResMed machine rounds all session elapsed times to the nearest minute, then adds and divides into the number of events. Using the high-resolution flow and other data from the machine, OSCAR knows elapsed times to the millisecond. That rounding error in the machine can thus create a different (and sloppier) calculation.

Yeah, I'm was a math major and I have this OCD thing with doing arithmetic in my head. Many a morning I've woken up and looked at the time and the calculated AHI and solved for the number of events and said "Huh?" Recently, I woke up to exactly 7 hours of run time, and an AHI of 1.2.

Rounded to one decimal place, 8/7=1.1 while 9/7=1.3.

So I had 8.5 events?!? hmmmmmmmm....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intellipap web page Thanassis 2 283 02-25-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mask Brand and Type on Oscar summary page douglaskeene 2 288 02-11-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: douglaskeene
Question Statistics page, changes to device settings area, FL always shows 0.00? DancesWithCats 1 285 01-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Problems displaying graphs on Daily page SueB 4 568 11-14-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: SueB
  OSCAR Statistics Page SingingWolf 4 588 11-04-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
Question Change Statistics view default to Monthly instead of Standard? retro 4 564 10-06-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Profile page recent change GordK 3 546 09-05-2023, 05:01 PM
Last Post: GordK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.