Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

using cpap during winter months
using cpap during winter months
i use room humidifier during winter months.  i noticed my cpap humidifier is full after use, only if i turn room humidifier off cpap humidifier almost empty after 7 hours of use. Can someone explain why room humidifier makes a difference. Additionally my numbers got a lot worse.  last night i did not use room humidifier, had no mask leaks but very high events.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: using cpap during winter months
It all depends on the humidity of the air the CPAP machine is taking in. I.e., humidity of the room air. If the room air is humid, then the machine does not need to add any additional humidity and so does not use water in the tank. If the room air is dry, then it will soak up a lot of water from the tank to achieve the desired humidity.

I wrote that as if the CPAP machine was doing something. It's not. It's just passing the incoming air over the water in the tank. Humid air won't pick up much additional humidity but dry air will.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
this makes sense.  another question i have are much worse numbers now as i am using heating system?
i never had AHI numbers so high

Post Reply Post Reply
i dont understand why my AHI got so much worse now. Can i assume that if i still get number that 1/2 what i have without cpap, i should be happy. And days with AHI <1 just impossible to recreate?

Post Reply Post Reply
additional picture

Post Reply Post Reply
try a soft cervical collar to reduce the oa clusters.
Post Reply Post Reply
what causes oa cluster to show up? i am not doing anything different
Post Reply Post Reply
chin tucking is the usual cause. you aren't likely to be aware of it so something might have changed during sleep. could be simply position, could be too many or too tall bed pillows. for $20usd it's worth trying a collar. or fashion a facsimile from stuff you have around. search the site for the wiki article for more detail.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sheepless is right -- OA clusters happen when your body position has changed such as to make airway collapse more frequent. Chin tucking is usually what is happening, and a soft cervical collar is the commonly recommended solution. If it happens only when you are sleeping on your back, you could also find a way to avoid sleeping on your back.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please read these wiki articles. Your pattern of apnea is a classic signature of what we call positional, but is usually chin-tucking. You might just be sleeping in a different position, or using a taller pillow:

Positional Apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft cervical collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 485 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 673 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123
  [CPAP] Still tired after 4 months of CPAP mohtorhead 11 1,029 02-03-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.