Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

using dreamstation go full time
using dreamstation go full time
Hello, does anybody know of dreamstation go can be considered as full time replacement for CPAP or APAP purpose?

my doctor told me it can not fully replace normal device, just for travel. 

regards, Alex
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: using dreamstation go full time
I don't think that's correct, I use mine 80% of the time. I just like it bettter and am not a humidity user ever. It has never had any adverse effects with my therapy and produces the same results as my DreamStation Auto home machine.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
There is nothing to stop you using it all the time, but it would not be ideal.
Most people would not want to use it all the time, it is designed for travel and is therefore lacking in some areas.
But if you wanted to use it there is nothing stopping you.  I for one wouldn't want to use it every day.
I want to see what is happening during my sleep and I need a lot of humidity, so my sleep quality would go down quite a bit.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2017, 07:39 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: There is nothing to stop you using it all the time, but it would not be ideal.
Most people would not want to use it all the time, it is designed for travel and is therefore lacking in some areas.
But if you wanted to use it there is nothing stopping you.  I for one wouldn't want to use it every day.
I want to see what is happening during my sleep and I need a lot of humidity, so my sleep quality would go down quite a bit.

I agree that humidity is important and for that reason, I would only use it for travel until the time comes that Philips introduces their long-awaited humidification option for this machine.

However, you said you also want to see what is happening during your sleep -- I'm curious as to what if any data is not available via Sleepyhead. I haven't used the DS Go yet, but am interested.
Post Reply Post Reply
All the same data generated by the standard home unit is also generated by the GO when using Sleepyhead. I personally hate humidifiers and never use one. To each his own but if humidity is needed than the GO might not be a full time option otherwise it works great!

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually use humidity but I was forced to go without for a month while travelling (long story not worth repeating).  I can't say that I particularly noticed the lack of humidity.  If you are in a very dry area, say where it is below freezing outside or Nevada, you might really want it.  GuppyDRV and I live in the PNE where lack of humidity is seldom a problem we face. :-)

I don't see any reason to not use the Go all the time if it works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2017, 11:16 PM)chill Wrote: I usually use humidity but I was forced to go without for a month while travelling (long story not worth repeating).  I can't say that I particularly noticed the lack of humidity.  If you are in a very dry area, say where it is below freezing outside or Nevada, you might really want it.  GuppyDRV and I live in the PNE where lack of humidity is seldom a problem we face.  :-)

I don't see any reason to not use the Go all the time if it works for you.

Agreed!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a noob .. so..

It would seem that if therapy is good, then the therapy is good.

Only posting from my consumer product design and mfg experience.

With ONLY the information that the Go:
- does not have as many years of use to identify and allow improvement on the top 'early life failure areas'
- is not being marketed with a PR company commitment that the Go is good as your primary machine
- is so much smaller than nightstand Dreamstation units
- I assume has a less robust / lighter duty power supply

It would be my personal assumption to not expect as many hours of quality use before the product wears out.

So if buying a replacement Go more frequently than buying the nightstand version and you are on an ongoing basis careful to make sure a permanently positioned Go power supply is not a fire hazard by being not under material that has fallen on it or getting caked in dust bunnies, etc. Then I would 'Go for the Go!'

Edit: Making sure I was never party to a cost or design decision on a power supply topic that burned any houses down, killed anyone's parents or kids, etc. was an ongoing source of stress in my life.. So far batting 1000 against that goal!! Whooo Hoooo! So I will add if 'I recommend checking the lighter duty power supply every few weeks, especially as it ages to make sure it is not getting hot.

If the power supply is an external block or brick personally I would ease my fire risk concerns of the power work to elevate the power supply so it is in effect hanging in the air or resting on small non-flammable points in a way where the power supply has a near zero chance of being covered by a dust bunny & pet fur blanket or covered by that stray sock I have been unable to find, and just a quick touch of the finger once in a while to see that it is not hot.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the Respironics Dreamstation Go full time for six months. I do not need humidification. Therefore, the Go is perfectly fine.

Candidly, I do not see a single articulate explanation in the above posts (other than no humidification) for not using it full time.

The well-built Go instantly generates a detailed amount of information that is far superior to the ResMed S9 or 10 or the HDM Z1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just finished (well, a few hours ago) a great night of sleep with my first night with Dreamstation Go.  My wife didn't think it made more noise than my Airsense 10.  It did seem louder to me, which from other reviews I think is due to the smaller-diameter hose.  I believe over time that I'll get used to this noise (it was the noise from breathing) and it won't be bothersome.  This morning I plugged the micro SD card into my computer and downloaded the results to Sleepyhead, and it appears that I'm seeing all of the same data that I could download form my AirSense 10. 

Since I'm a desert-dweller, I need a humidifier on a daily basis and won't be using the Dreamstation Go on a full-time basis until a humidifier is available.  I bought this machine primarily for an upcoming camping trip to a humid climate when I'll need battery power for a couple of days, and when I'll need to stuff everything into a relatively small backpack.  I should be able to get by without a humidifier in that climate, and the machine's portability and battery power should fill my needs well for that use.

Regarding external power packs (a.k.a. 'bricks') vs a CPAP machine that is directly plugged into line voltage, I believe manufacturers leaning toward reducing costs and getting product to market sooner will strongly favor the external bricks because using an existing, generic brick is all they need for UL compliance so long as the brick has been previously used elsewhere.  The CPAP machine itself is then deemed a low-voltage device that doesn't need to go through the usual regulatory approvals. Obviously it takes longer to get to market when line voltage (high-voltage) is plugged directly into the CPAP machine, because then the entire machine needs to be submitted for review as a new, high-voltage device.  For backpackers and others who simply want to pack light, it's obviously a huge advantage to avoid the brick if at all possible and I, for one, am not concerned about a possible fire hazard -- at least in my home, there are a lot more dust bunnies on floor level (where a brick would typically sit) vs. the top of my CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 450 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 546 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 227 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 143 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 753 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,454 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.