Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

usually high AHI last night, advice
RE: usually high AHI last night, advice
The machine is not detecting respiration, and it is not because of leaks. What does his doctor say? This needs to be resolved. I think you should go to your local Walgreens Walmart or other drugstore and pick up a soft cervical collar with a 2-1/2 to 3 inch height and a comfortable fit and try it tonight. The events look positional, like his airway is cut-off by his sleeping position. You may find this is fully resolved using a collar. If these clusters of apnea continue after using a collar, then a review of his therapy should be discussed with his doctor, and the use of auto pressure should be strongly considered in the range of 8 to 12.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doing better but not nearly good enough.  He clearly needs more pressure.  There is no good reason not to switch to auto mode.  I suggest either making the change yourself, or leaving a message for your doctor stating that the change to 8 helped but not enough and you would like to switch to auto (min of 8, max of 15).

I have seen flow rate breaks in other charts also. Must be a SH glitch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reminder to update this thread Ted, and for all you help! 

The update is things are looking good! I contacted my son's sleep doctor and they ordered an increase in his pressure to 9. It's only been a couple of days, but so far the numbers are the best he's ever had. He hasn't had morning headaches, and he has been less fatigued since the pressure increase. I was surprised that such a small increase has resulted in such a positive change. Hopefully the trend will hold. Thanks again Ted and Sleeprider for all your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure you have a great doctor and I respect that you are following his advise and recommendations. That said, the machine is smarter than he is, and your son would do better in Autoset mode at 8 to 12 pressure. Just sayin', and not asking you to change.

The new results are very good, and we can ignore VS2. Glad you finally got the settings needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 01:02 AM)ColoradoMom Wrote: ... It's only been a couple of days, but so far the numbers are the best he's ever had. He hasn't had morning headaches, and he has been less fatigued since the pressure increase...

(05-24-2018, 08:40 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm sure you have a great doctor and I respect that you are following his advise and recommendations.  That said, the machine is smarter than he is, and your son would do better in Autoset mode at 8 to 12 pressure.  Just sayin', and not asking you to change.

The new results are very good, and we can ignore VS2.  Glad you finally got the settings needed.

Yippee!   Banana Congrats Amazing SHa_clap2
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 01:02 AM)ColoradoMom Wrote: Thanks for the reminder to update this thread Ted, and for all you help! 

The update is things are looking good! I contacted my son's sleep doctor and they ordered an increase in his pressure to 9. It's only been a couple of days, but so far the numbers are the best he's ever had. He hasn't had morning headaches, and he has been less fatigued since the pressure increase. I was surprised that such a small increase has resulted in such a positive change. Hopefully the trend will hold. Thanks again Ted and Sleeprider for all your help!

Thanks for the update.
He is doing well which is great to see.  I expect his ahi to be ~0.5 if his pressure was a little higher.
As sleeprider says, push to move to apap.  Then he will be doing great. 
Soon your son may go off to college where he may experiment with alcohol, and possible gain weight (both have been known to happen - LOL).  Some people's pressure needs will change so it is possible that his current static pressure may fail him miserably.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again Sleeprider and Ted! I appreciated your recommendations on APAP and pressure ranges. I agree that although the numbers look pretty good there is still room for improvement. The last few nights my son my son hasn't been able to keep his mask on for more than a couple of hours. I'm hoping this will resolve as he gets used to the higher pressure, but I do notice a pattern I've seen in the past. I notice that right before he rips off his mask and chucks it across his room he always seems to have a series of events.
I've attached last night and the night before, not sure why the machine didn't flag anything last night. 

I plan to discuss your recommendations with my son's sleep doctor at his next appointment. I have Sleepyhead on my laptop and now that I have a better understanding of what I am seeing when I look at Sleepyhead I will be able to bring specific concerns to the attention of my son's doctor. My son and I will likely make pressure changes ourselves sometime down the road, but for the time being I will stick with doctors recommendations. I don't want to step on the doctors toes and I don't want to risk causing any complications with insurance coverage while my son is still in a compliance period.  You are right Ted, no doubt my son's treatment needs will likely change over time. My son knows how to use Sleepyhead and how to access his machines clinical menu. When he is starting out on his own and money is tight I think he will have the knowledge necessary to make tweaks to his treatment on his own if necessary.

Thanks again for all your help, I am truly grateful for all the knowledge that has been shared with me!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 52 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,524 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 66 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,324 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 23 544 03-13-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.