Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

very casual relation between AHI and sleep time
Question 
very casual relation between AHI and sleep time
As I review my sleep scores I noticed a very very casual relation between sleep time and AHI score. Seems if I sleep 4 hours before ripping off mask, score is 3.5-4.5 range, 6-7 hours is about 7 to 8 AHI.  Seems there is 1 to 1.5 AHI increment per hour sleep all things equal.  Granted this may just be me as other nights score can be 1.0 or 18.0 for no reason that seems obvious.

As aside:
first, I found one root cause of problems is that I have been removing my partial lower frontal  dental plate  (bout of oral cancer) every night, which allowed my mouth front to partially collapse so lip(s) most times fell outside mask edge (insuring BIG leaks % snores etc).  As an experiment I left the plate in overnight and slept through night 7-8 hours and score hovered consistently around 4-5.  My dentist is working on a bridge much like football jocks use, that pushes out lower front jaw skin (like if I had all my teeth and gum there) insuring lips stay inside mask.

Second I reduced my pressure to 6.0 straight CPAP no Cflex or AFlex.  Now getting 6-7 hours sleep with AHI of 4-5.  Granted this may not be best solution but sure beats 2-3hours of tortured interrupted sleep of mask pharts, squeals and air in eyes etc, with straps headache tight.  And I have gone thorough about $500 different masks and right now the resmed foam edge air touch seems to work at the low pressure and slightly tight straps, but at the prescribed 16 pressure with or without AFex or CFles options, problems return.  Once I get consistent readings I plan to jump pressure to 8 and see results.  When I reach the pharts/squeal/ eye air stages I will back off one full notch. 

Best solution I can think of short of throwing CPAP machine into garbage (along with quack that came up with this idea, but that's my opinion, your mileage may vary as they say). Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: very casual relation between AHI and sleep time
Generally events tend to be clustered and vary with the stages of sleep. In addition, in my case, there tend to be more in the hour of so before wake-up. By turning off early you're possibly not recording those clusters which appear later in the night. They are still happening, it's just that your machine isn't turned on and so cant record them. Of course once you've got the setup to your liking most of these events will be intercepted by the machine and the problem will be solved.

Quote: ...throwing CPAP machine into garbage (along with quack that came up with this idea...

Do a search for Colin Sullivan. Not a quack, I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Sull...physician)
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet...8/fulltext
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: very casual relation between AHI and sleep time
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 548 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 227 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 143 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 753 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.