Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

vpap adapt asv - questions
vpap adapt asv - questions
Hi,
The Epap was increased by 2 and it appears the insp press and exp press alternately increased by .2 increments every couple nights which I presume allows the body to adjust over the period of 4 wk until it reached the Epap of 6 which shows a diff of 6.8 between the Insp and exp press.So how does the epap, insp press and exp press and min and max pressure support all work? Is the max number for the central component? And the Insp. and Exp press. ( epap)for Obstructives?
Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: vpap adapt asv - questions
(03-20-2014, 07:45 PM)3porpoise Wrote: So how does the epap, insp press and exp press and min and max pressure support all work? Is the max number for the central component? And the Insp. and Exp press. ( epap)for Obstructives?

Hi 3porpoise, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your machine had a modem attached, and the respiratory therapist slowly adjusted the EPAP from 4.0 to 6.0, in increments of 0.2, right?

In case you have not yet found answers to your questions:

With most CPAP/APAP/BiPAP machines the EPAP setting needs to be high enough to prevent obstructive events like apneas and hypopneas, but with an ASV machine this is perhaps less important, because the machine will do what it can to keep you breathing even if the EPAP is lower than would be optimal for preventing obstructive events.

Newer S9 VPAP Adapt machines manufactured in Nov 2012 and later can automatically adjust the EPAP within a range (like the AutoSet and other APAP machines adjust EPAP) to minimize obstructive events. My S9 VPAP Adapt (Model# 36007) was built earlier than that and the EPAP does not auto-adjust (only the Pressure Support auto-adjusts).

The difference between EPAP (exhale pressure) and IPAP (inhale pressure) is called Pressure Support (PS):

EPAP + PS = IPAP

On your machine, is it the average PS which is 6.8, or is it the minimum PS which is 6.8, or the Max PS?

The minimum amount of PS (Min PS) is usually adjusted for comfort, but the Min PS also tends to increase/decrease the minimum amount of ventilation we receive, and therefore affects the minimum Saturation Percentage of Oxygen (SpO2) during deep sleep. It is common to have Min PS of 2.0 or 4.0, but if a person has a lung condition or disease, then the Min PS may need to be 6 or higher to maintain good SpO2 while asleep.

It is widely recommended that the SpO2 remain between 94 to 96, but it is not uncommon to dip into the low 90s while asleep, and this is not considered a problem. 88 and lower is considered a problem. 98 and higher can lead to problems if the SpO2 stays that high for long periods, like perhaps hours. Too much O2 can harm our health.

It is recommended to wear a recording pulse oximeter all night (but only occasionally), to see whether our SpO2 tends to be too low or high. The kind that are mounted on the wrist like a watch and have a separate finger sensor are far more comfortable and tend to stay on better and give more consistent results.

I think the Max PS should be set at least 10 (eventually) but may be set lower temporarily while adjusting to therapy. Or, if the patient has a special condition (recent lung or nasal surgery, for example) it might be necessary to have the Max PS much lower than 10, but for healthy patients 10 or higher may be needed to allow the machine to keep them fully ventilated and fully prevent central apneas or central hypopneas.

During a central event, the machine will automatically (and quickly) adjust PS so that a target Minute Ventilation (Vm) is maintained. Vm is the amount (volume) of air we inhale or exhale in one minute. The tidal volume (Vt) is the amount (volume) of air we inhale or exhale during one breath. The Flow is the rate (rate = volume per unit of time) at which air is being inhaled or exhaled.

With the S9 VPAP Adapt, during central events the Target Vm and Target Respiratory Rate (breaths per minute) which the machine targets are automatically chosen by the machine, based on the characteristics of our very recent breathing. There are no settings for target Vm or target backup respiratory rate. However, the Min PS setting will have an indirect influence on the Target Vm. A higher Min PS will tend to increase Target Vm.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: vpap adapt asv - questions
Thanks Vaughn. I've had to read your post a few times to process the info.
There wasn't a modem. After the epap was changed ,I was going by the Insp press and exp press on the sleep quality screen after the sleep report screen. It was exp 4 insp 10.8 Every couple days each of those values read .2 higher. until it reached the exp 6 where it stayed and the insp seemed to keep that 6.8 difference. It took a month for those values to reach exp 6 and insp 12.8. which led me to believe when the epap was changed from 4 to 6 the insp and exp was slowly adj upwards. After 2 wk I could really notice a change, it felt like pressure was creeping up ,that's when I wondered the relation between the values on sleep quality screen and timing of epap change.
It's the elusive search for balance between optimal pressure , treatment , manageable aerophagia, so I've been trying to pay attention to find the best setting.
So the 6.8 you got me wondering about. It wouldn't be the min ps cause that's at 3 it's not the max cause that's 8 so that leaves the average? So I'll check the summary to see if there's a corelation.
I've purchased an oxymeter which I have to set up.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.