Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

waking up bloated?
waking up bloated?
My wife finally got diagnosed and has been using a resmed apap. we've adjusted it to what she needs but occasionally she is waking up bloated, with what she says is air in her belly.

any insights?

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: waking up bloated?
What machine, What settings, Using EPR?

Any other medical conditions of history of GERD?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 11:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What machine, What settings, Using EPR?

non. I think she is swallowing air because of position, she's getting a chin strap for help keep her mouth shut when she sleeps on her side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sddarkman619,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Check out this link. Go down through the different things after you click on it and you see that There is a simple fix that might work for your wife as far as the bloating is concerned. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ngle:Links
You could also try to raise the head of your bed a bit and see if that will help.
Hang in there for more ideas and answers to your question and much success to you both with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 05:51 PM)sddarkman619 Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 11:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What machine, What settings, Using EPR?

non. I think she is swallowing air because of position, she's getting a chin strap for help keep her mouth shut when she sleeps on her side.

People with aerophagia seem to benefit from lower exhale pressures (high EPR setting in Resmed) and might improve with an inclined position and/or a soft cervical collar that prevents the chin from tucking. It's not something I have any personal experience with, so I'll let others carry on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 10:42 AM)sddarkman619 Wrote: My wife finally got diagnosed and has been using a resmed apap.

On my S9 Auto just turning up the EPR from 1 to 2 made all the difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 10:20 PM)wildboar Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 10:42 AM)sddarkman619 Wrote: My wife finally got diagnosed and has been using a resmed apap.

On my S9 Auto just turning up the EPR from 1 to 2 made all the difference.

Her EPR is already on 3.

May have to do something with her head position.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
I'm new to the CPAP/APAP treatment, just have a couple of weeks with a trial device (Resmed Airsense 10, with humidifier, nasal mask). First week it was in auto mode, after first week it was set as dual preassure for 12, as it was detected in the data that this was the optimal for my events. After this I started waking up bloated in the middle of the night, so bad I have to stand up and let it all out.
I do have GERD (hyatal hernia).
It has EPR on but I don't know which level.
Post Reply Post Reply
People with aerophagia seem to benefit from lower exhale pressures (high EPR setting in Resmed) and might improve with an inclined position and/or a soft cervical collar that prevents the chin from tucking. It's not something I have any personal experience with, so I'll let others carry on.
[/quote]

I am dealing with extreme bloating and inclining hasn't helped so I am wondering about the epr setting on Resmed. The first RT that set up the machine had the EPR off but when I got an RT that listens to me she said try setting the EPR at 1 because she prefers it set low.

So if I increase the EPR setting might it help with the bloating? I don't have a clue what EPR is LOL but the bloating some mornings is so bad I am nauseated with the pressure all day.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:48 PM)Oscargrchy Wrote: People with aerophagia seem to benefit from lower exhale pressures (high EPR setting in Resmed) and might improve with an inclined position and/or a soft cervical collar that prevents the chin from tucking. It's not something I have any personal experience with, so I'll let others carry on.

I am dealing with extreme bloating and inclining hasn't helped so I am wondering about the epr setting on Resmed. The first RT that set up the machine had the EPR off but when I got an RT that listens to me she said try setting the EPR at 1 because she prefers it set low.

So if I increase the EPR setting might it help with the bloating? I don't have a clue what EPR is LOL but the bloating some mornings is so bad I am nauseated with the pressure all day.
[/quote]

EPR is exhale pressure relief. Your machine is capable of up to 3 cmH2O of pressure reduction during exhale by setting EPR to 3. You can use more EPR to lower pressure during exhale, but watch the effect on your AHI and how you feel. It may help, or not as this is considered a comfort setting, but really it is a lot like a limited bilevel machine in this regard.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 1 40 10 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 156 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 306 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.