Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

want to monitor sleep activity
RE: want to monitor sleep activity
I have a remstar pro c flex+ machine. The booklet says that on the info screen I can get AH1, large leak info and periodic breathing BUT those screens only display if your home care provider has enabled it. I asked 2 different people at the home care place about this. The first told me I didn't need ANY of the info from that screen including therapy hours and not to worry about it. The second person told me she would have to ask someone else about it. Does anyone know how I can enable this for myself. I suppose I can ask my doctor to send them a prescription telling them to enable the machine screen. Is this common to want info and be blocked by the home health care providers?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can download the clinician manual here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-Pressure

This explains how to access that part of the machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2012, 08:47 PM)Kristen Wrote: I have a remstar pro c flex+ machine. The booklet says that on the info screen I can get AH1, large leak info and periodic breathing BUT those screens only display if your home care provider has enabled it. I asked 2 different people at the home care place about this. The first told me I didn't need ANY of the info from that screen including therapy hours and not to worry about it. The second person told me she would have to ask someone else about it. Does anyone know how I can enable this for myself. I suppose I can ask my doctor to send them a prescription telling them to enable the machine screen. Is this common to want info and be blocked by the home health care providers?

You can enable from the setting menu to show AHI/leak/PB
change the setting to "ON" (Not off) as shown here in pictures and video
http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions

You need to check the data before noon (midday) ... it reset to zero at the start of new CPAP day at noon

Shame on them .... To hide the data from the patient who have to use the machine each night

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2012, 01:42 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-07-2012, 12:43 PM)Emma Wrote: How do I know if my CPAP machine will take the new memory card so I can monitor my sleep through SleepyHead or other software?
welcome to the forum .. Emma
the machine in your profile REMstar Plus C Flex
the Plus model is a brick Not data capable machine
doesn't tell you anything beside hours using the machine each night
you need either the Auto or Pro models
for now SleepyHead support PRS1 50 series Not 60 series machines

A brick. I've seen that term used. However I found that it was all I was really eligible for. I even requested to take back my S9 Escape for an AutoSet and I would pay the difference. Nope. They don't go for that. Unless my doctor suggests it would be a good idea.
Now that I've started using an S8 AutoSet II (on loan) I'm finding my pressure variances are thus far, 9.6, 8.4, 11.0 and My S9 Escape not to mention my old retired beast before it, was initially set to 8.0.
So not everyone has a choice and I didn't really know the difference far enough ahead of time to make a decent decision. My old machine was pretty much a mechanical monster, no computer interface. Pressure was modified using a screwdriver and monitored using a manometer. But hopefully I'll be in touch with the doctor before long.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2012, 09:50 PM)Ugly Wrote: A brick. I've seen that term used. However I found that it was all I was really eligible for.

That's really a crime the medical system screws you that way. In addition to the enormous value of actual AHI data in the home every night vs. every few years in a sleep lab, leaks are an enormous problem for many users and have caused a lot of people's CPAP treatment to fail. An Escape machine can't tell you whether you have leaks in your sleep ruining your treatment.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I certainly agree with it being a sad situation when a patient who actually wants to be able to see how his/her treatment is going is blocked by the system. Unfortunately, there are many pts. who are not interested in data about their care, but when there is interest that info should be made available.
At the same time, I've learned that the medical pecking order (in the U.S.) is that the DME's marching orders must come from the doctor. In your case, Ugly, when your DME told you the limits of what you are eligible for, I understand that to mean that so far your doctor has only written a Rx for the type of machine you recently got. That "eligible for" phrase means what's on the Rx they received. So, it's unproductive to ask the DME for something like a machine model switch; they can't do it without that Rx from the doc. This has been my own experience in finally getting switched from a straight CPAP to an auto.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ugly, I just recalled that you're in Ontario. So, apparently the medical pecking order here is also the case in Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2012, 07:26 AM)Dawei Wrote: At the same time, I've learned that the medical pecking order (in the U.S.) is that the DME's marching orders must come from the doctor. In your case, Ugly, when your DME told you the limits of what you are eligible for, I understand that to mean that so far your doctor has only written a Rx for the type of machine you recently got. That "eligible for" phrase means what's on the Rx they received. So, it's unproductive to ask the DME for something like a machine model switch; they can't do it without that Rx from the doc. This has been my own experience in finally getting switched from a straight CPAP to an auto.

When I went to talk about - first it was getting my pressure adjusted. I had absolutely no knowledge of apneaboard.com or of any "modern" machines. So when I was given the option of a REMstar SE or a ResMed Escape, I didn't know the features (or lack of) for them and I certainly didn't know there were superior options. I was lucky enough to trade one for the other AFTER I proved that it was malfunctioning to begin with. Now I'm charting the statistics on a daily basis ready to offer up to - whoever cares to see them. I don't know if that will be the people from VitalAire or a doctor. But again a witness was necessary. At a straight "8" pressure I was informed that I still snored at night. I don't get these comments anymore.

MORNING OF/SLEEP TIME/PRESSURE/AHI/AI/HI
FRI 2012-11-16/ 7.07 HOURS/ 8.4/5.1/0.7/4.4
SAT 2012-11-17/10.05 HOURS/11.0/2.3/0.2/2.1
SUN 2012-11-18/ 7.06 HOURS/10.6/5.3/0.2/5.1

It's formatted better in MS Word. But I'm starting to see that it appears so INCONSISTENT and for the past decade they kept me on a constant pressure? Oh, to be sure, I don't have regular check ups to see "how I'm doing" or if the pressure given is still relevant. Only when I bug them enough saying "it's just not working anymore" do I get some action. Sheesh! Dont-know I feel I've been shafted all this time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ugly, you're not alone in the series of events that led you here. Six years ago after my first sleep study, the doc told me about the specific Respironics M Series (brick) I was going to get at a pressure of 7cm. I knew nothing about any of this at that time. I used it at that setting for 5 years. Then, my wife told me of my apneas each night. When I tried to get a different mask, I learned the DME needed a Rx. That got me back to a doc, then sleep study and finally to this board.
Regarding the variations you're seeing in your pressures and AHI from night to night, I can tell you that I see similar swings in my own numbers. Each night is (or can be) a different situation as far as how we sleep for a variety of reasons. I would not be concerned with the night-to-night data changes you're seeing. The main thing is to see what your pressure is for most of the nights (95th percentile) to have input for you and your doctor about where your pressure should be set when you must go back to a machine with a set pressure. Like yours, my AHI also varies from night to night. Again, it's the range that counts, and as you know, the goal is to have it below 5 for most nights. Another thing I've learned is that a persons pressure requirements can change quite a bit over time. Finally, I've learned that mask leakage can have a lot to do with getting the AHI down there and keeping it in that range. At least it has for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had my pressure adjusted three times. Initially it was 8 then within the year was raised to 10. Three years later, it was raised to 12. My blood pressure started creeping up again and I wasn't feeling rested so I got the Autoset. Now the most used numbers are 14 and above.

All the other increases were based on nothing much. They did it slowly in the beginning because I had more central events with higher pressure so I was at 8 for a while. The change to 12 was done after many months of trying to figure out why my blood pressure was dangerously high. I was given an oximeter to use over night and the increase was based on that.

Had I been using an autoPAP, all of that stress and worry would have never happened. Had I been able to view the data, I would have noticed and been able to fix it myself or at least my doctor and I could have worked together. Instead, I was at risk of stroke (caused a minor panic with the staff during my stress test), at risk of heart attack, had a heart cath, had all sorts of scary things. When it was all due to my sleep apnea and my lack of ability to see my own numbers.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 162 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Equipment] Wrist Oxygen Monitor nanaa0 16 1,781 09-04-2023, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Chest strap heart rate monitor? YouTakeMyBreathAway 0 585 07-23-2023, 07:08 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
  How can I monitor my sleep apnea severity without a doctor? davidortenn79 11 1,308 06-16-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: davidortenn79

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.