Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative
was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative
Here's an imgur of my more recent sleep study (I know its old but its the most recent one I have)

About me:

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 10 years ago and I used a CPAP for about 5 years ago. Then I got this sleep study done and it came back negative for apnea. I still struggle with tiredness at times though.... and also have disrupted sleep at times too... peeing a lot in the middle of the night etc.

About three years ago I went and saw a Dr about perhaps getting a dental appliance to help the snoring and poor sleep quality, but did not follow through on it because my insurance was not going to help out and I can't afford it.

I remember him saying that one of the three stages of sleep is well below the "normal" range, but now that I'm looking over this study and comparing with what I'm finding on the internet... I'm not sure which stage he's talking about? REM looks fine, right?

I'm in a bit better financial spot now and I'm trying to take control of this issue so I'm seeing an ENT next week to see if they can help out with poor sleep quality but can anyone comment on my sleep architecture? Is it bad?

Like I said, I thought I recall the dental appliance guy saying that one of my three stages of sleep was reading more like a 70 year olds sleep architecture would....was he just trying to sell me or something? Looks fairly normal to me but I'm not as knowledgeable about this stuff as many of you are.

I'm 34, in good shape and exercise daily. Two weeks ago I decided to abstain from alcohol on a permanent basis. I'm hopeful this leads to more energy etc.

Overall my energy levels are about the same as when I used the CPAP...and my blood pressure is within the "normal range" so I think I'm fine to not use the machine but I'd like to improve my sleep in any way I can.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files
.pdf   Sleepstudy.pdf (Size: 86.87 KB / Downloads: 100)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative
I took down the imgur link because the board won't allow for it but I did upload my sleep study results.

Thanks for the help guys, you rock.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative
Reads like you do not meet the definition of sleep apnea.
I defer to your doctor as to your diagnosis.

Being low energy can be caused by many other things -- medications, some viruses like Epstein-Barr or CMV, et cetera.

Limiting or abstaining from alcohol is a good idea. Alcohol is a biphasic drug -- first a depressant, then a stimulant. It can really mess with sleep; deplete your B vitamins...

Welcome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
10 years ago you had a sleep study and an OSA diagnosis? Now you had a new study and the numbers show below 5 without CPAP. That's a good thing.

Your current study shows a BMI of 25. That puts you right at the top end of "normal" range.
What was your BMI 10 years ago? Did you lose weight since then?

As far as sleep stages go: I don't know enough about how it all works, but you will normally progress from stage to stage and back again throughout the night.

The notes on your study do say that this study may not have captured a normal night and that another study might be warranted if your complaints persist.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2016, 11:14 AM)justMongo Wrote: Reads like you do not meet the definition of sleep apnea.
I defer to your doctor as to your diagnosis.

Being low energy can be caused by many other things -- medications, some viruses like Epstein-Barr or CMV, et cetera.

Limiting or abstaining from alcohol is a good idea. Alcohol is a biphasic drug -- first a depressant, then a stimulant. It can really mess with sleep; deplete your B vitamins...

Welcome

yes that's what the dental appliance Dr told me but he commented that my sleep architecture was all out of whack. However, from my limited research on the internet, it appears fairly normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
LB1982,

I am going to pass commenting on the sleep architecture issues.

But if one sleep study said you had apnea and another one said you didn't, I would great consider getting another one to see what is going on in light of your symptoms and for your piece of mind.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2016, 12:03 PM)49er Wrote: LB1982,

I am going to pass commenting on the sleep architecture issues.

But if one sleep study said you had apnea and another one said you didn't, I would great consider getting another one to see what is going on in light of your symptoms and for your piece of mind.

49er

The AHI for the first study was 5.3, just barely into the range of mild sleep apnea...I do believe 0-5 is "normal"

The AHI for the second study was 3.6. I've lost some weight and I've also adjusted some lifestyle choices.

I'll consider contacting my insurance to see if they will cover another study, I doubt they will though.

Perhaps the ENT can help me too... the receptionist says she sees a lot of patients with sleep disorders.
Post Reply Post Reply
someone on another forum just pointed out what I believe the Dr was talking about.

There's no % listed for Stage 3 sleep which means it must have been 0%, which is quite bad. Normal distribution is about 25% Stage 3 sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also take a look at UARS and RERAs. These can be present when your AHI does not score high enough to be in the "needs treatment" range. Restless Leg Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement can disturb sleep but won't show up in AHI. They will show up in a sleep study, was will RERA events. IIRC UARS needs some more specific tests for a definite diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LB1982,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with finding out what is going on with your sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 400 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 536 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 357 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.