Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative
RE: was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative
(09-20-2016, 01:28 PM)LB1982 Wrote: The AHI for the first study was 5.3, just barely into the range of mild sleep apnea...I do believe 0-5 is "normal"

The AHI for the second study was 3.6. I've lost some weight and I've also adjusted some lifestyle choices.

I'll consider contacting my insurance to see if they will cover another study, I doubt they will though.

Perhaps the ENT can help me too... the receptionist says she sees a lot of patients with sleep disorders.

I think that "normal" might actually be < 5. But either way, you were borderline 10 years ago, have lost some weight, and are now 3.6. Good for you, seriously. And now you have an idea of what might happen in the next 10 years if you start to gain weight.

Not all sleep problems are due to apnea. Even the sleep study recommended getting some other checks to make sure there are no other physical issues, like polyps or whatever. Your ENT would be the next logical step.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative
(09-20-2016, 03:16 PM)chill Wrote: Also take a look at UARS and RERAs. These can be present when your AHI does not score high enough to be in the "needs treatment" range. Restless Leg Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement can disturb sleep but won't show up in AHI. They will show up in a sleep study, was will RERA events. IIRC UARS needs some more specific tests for a definite diagnosis.

I definitely agree with the above recommendations.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2016, 03:47 PM)KSMatthew Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 01:28 PM)LB1982 Wrote: The AHI for the first study was 5.3, just barely into the range of mild sleep apnea...I do believe 0-5 is "normal"

The AHI for the second study was 3.6. I've lost some weight and I've also adjusted some lifestyle choices.

I'll consider contacting my insurance to see if they will cover another study, I doubt they will though.

Perhaps the ENT can help me too... the receptionist says she sees a lot of patients with sleep disorders.

I think that "normal" might actually be < 5. But either way, you were borderline 10 years ago, have lost some weight, and are now 3.6. Good for you, seriously. And now you have an idea of what might happen in the next 10 years if you start to gain weight.

Not all sleep problems are due to apnea. Even the sleep study recommended getting some other checks to make sure there are no other physical issues, like polyps or whatever. Your ENT would be the next logical step.

I saw the ENT. My septum is severely deviated. Report says on a scale of 1-4 its a 4....its so deviated that it prevented passage with the scope.

My inferior turbines are also not working properly (hypertrophied)

Soft palate looks a little elongated and floppy but she suspects the majority of the headaches stem from the issues with my nose. She can't guarantee sleep will improve with the surgery but she said headaches should.

Recommends a septoplasty and also turbinate reduction. I will probably push forward with this surgery but I'm not that optimistic it will help with sleep.

My reasoning is that if I'm breathing through my mouth (I am) while sleeping then the nasal blockages alone should not prevent me from entering stage 3 sleep. Maybe there's something else at play here...she did point out several times it could help will sleep but there's really no guarantees.
(09-21-2016, 03:37 AM)49er Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 03:16 PM)chill Wrote: Also take a look at UARS and RERAs. These can be present when your AHI does not score high enough to be in the "needs treatment" range. Restless Leg Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement can disturb sleep but won't show up in AHI. They will show up in a sleep study, was will RERA events. IIRC UARS needs some more specific tests for a definite diagnosis.

I definitely agree with the above recommendations.

49er

thanks. Yes I've looked at UARS and it seemingly fits the description of what I'm going through. Unfortunately, it does not seem like there's much help available outside of a CPAP which the ENT does not think is necessary. I tried CPAP and it didn't make much of a difference.

I'll take it one step at a time... thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typical that somebody diagnosed you with sleep apnea 10 years ago.

I hear of it all too often - the doctor gets a kickback for sleep studies and/or cpap machines so they push you towards that as the culprit of your sleeping issues.

Whatever surgery/treatment the ENT suggests, take it. Any improvement has to be a good thing, you cant keep going as you are now.

An ENT suggested a turbinectomy and tonsillectomy to me 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 351 4 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 56 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.