Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

washing cpap -- really?
Arrow 
washing cpap -- really?
Does the cpap tubing, humidifier tank, and tank lid seal really need to be washed every day?

Any tips on how to get things done quickly, with minimal time and effort?

Thanks,
Sid
RE: washing cpap -- really?
(11-15-2013, 06:32 PM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: Does the cpap tubing, humidifier tank, and tank lid seal really need to be washed every day?

Thanks,
Sid

I wash my system once a week with baby shampoo and warm water.
Every night I wipe my nasal Pillows with a alcohol and scent FREE baby wipes.

It keeps things smelling nice and germ free. Smile

CoffeeSleep-well
I wash mask cushion every day to remove skin oil and wash my face before put the mask on, clean cushion seal better on clean face
Also wipe the cushion if waken up during the night

For other stuff, I don,t have a set day, here some FAQs would helps
http://www.resmed.com/au/service_and_sup...c=patients
(11-15-2013, 06:32 PM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: Does the cpap tubing, humidifier tank, and tank lid seal really need to be washed every day?

Thanks,
Sid

I wash everything but the tubing every day. Once a week, I disinfect everything, including the tubing.

Why take chances? I know that I cough or sneeze into my mask nearly every night. I don't want that gunk accumulating into some sort of bacterial soup days on end.
Clean the mask every day and the rest once a month for the last 6+ years..
I wash my mask, hose and water chamber once a week in warm, mild, (Ivory Liquid,) soapy ( water, I usualy let it soak while I'm doing other things. I do wash the lid seal every once in a while with my other parts, but not very often.
trish6hundred
Depends. How nasty are you, what level of nasty can you tolerate, what level of nasty can your system handle? (nasty being a generic term)

I use nasal pillows so minimal skin contact. I wash them once a week. During the summer when the humidifier is off, I wash the hoses once a month. When the humidifier is on, I wash them once a week. I don't think I have ever washed headgear. To wash my hoses, I use a mild diluted dish soap followed by a vinegar/water solution soak. Same with the pillows. I rinse very, very well and let air dry.

If I used a nasal mask or a FFM, I would have to clean it more often. I have nasty oily skin, especially my face.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

People have reported going a long time between washes with no problem. I think the manufacturer's warnings to wash more frequently are there to avoid costly law suits.

I use a brush to wash the hose, and wash the mask in the sink. How often? Well, let's just say that if I do it once a week I'm being diligent.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I really ought to get that hose brush. I keep forgetting. I'm writing it on my list. Now I need a list of stuff to write in my list.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

*groans* I'm so lazy. This is gonna stink.

How do you dry things? And what if I want to take a nap? Do I have to wash it every time or just once a day?

Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Washing gear in bleach? bbbl67 10 853 02-12-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: bbbl67
  How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket? pkersey 12 1,654 09-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  How do I prevent rainout for 48 hours after washing Cpap tube Ihaveapnea 36 5,641 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post: dosco
Exclaimation [Equipment] bad Anew Odor - AFTER washing!! Help! Illisidi 10 3,855 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Last Post: truetopath
  Washing head straps Timotheus 15 6,166 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Washing Filters ResMed Skypilot 22 12,300 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Question [Equipment] Washing? How often? Sleeper999 8 3,948 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Last Post: VegasPier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.