Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user with a problem
New user with a problem
I just started using a dream station for my sleep apnea.  My apnea happens the same way every night.  As I start to fall asleep my breathing becomes very shallow and within 10 minutes of falling into a deep sleep my oxygen/blood monitor that I wear goes off to tell me my oxygen level has dropped to anywhere between 83 and 88.  Normally it is 97 or 98.  I fall back asleep but my brain doesn't appear to let me fall into as deep a sleep after the first event of the night and I usually have less apnea events during my sleep cycle.

I started using the dream station at a level of 6.  Lower than this level I feel like I"m not getting enough air.  The station is on a 5 minute ramp and intensity is from 5 to 15.  My problem is that when my breathing begins to slow down and I fall asleep my body still wakes me up in the same way in fact because I have the mask on it actually seems to be a worse event and it's a bit scary.  The machine sees it as a clear airway apnea.  I have very few obstructive apneas events

My goal of using the dream machine was to be able to fall asleep at night especially at the beginning of my sleep cycle and stay oxygenated even if my breathing slows or stops momentarily.  If anyone has any thoughts about this I would really appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user with a problem
Dave, welcome. Unfortunately, a great many of us, probably most of us, experience what you do. Without the apparatus and claxons going off to tell us we are having 'issues', we slept blissfully, if somewhat dangerously, through those events. Now, with all the bells and whistles working for us, we are only too, and acutely, aware that this is happening. As you say, it's worse because of awakening to the mask, maybe gasping for air, and feeling that surge of adrenaline...the latter probably being the precursor to your less pristine and sublime sleep from that point on.

We would gladly help, but we need more information. Chances are good that you are experiencing 'treatment emergent' CAs, which are quite common. They go away with minor adjustments to EPR, or 'pressure relief' during the expiration phase of the breathing cycle...or they often do. So, if you could see yourself clear to looking up to the black marquee at top, find OSCAR, read up, download, and extract your SD card's data for a few nights, we'll help you when we can see what your settings and responses are.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. Agree with mesenteria on the OSCAR data. We'll help as soon as we have that info to base answers for assistance. Hang in there, we'll get the therapy going better for you soon enough.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, if you will download and install OSCAR we can see exactly what is going on, breath-by-breath. This will allow us to help you and more importantly, it is information you can provide your doctor. It is possible you are experiencing treatment emergent central apnea, but it is very rare to hear of someone experiencing such severe desaturation from that cause. Does the same desaturation happen when you do not use CPAP?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,572 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,471 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 551 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 229 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.