Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

water in the line?
water in the line?
this morning, there were a lot of water droplets all thru the line, and just now, when I took the hose off of the back of the machine a whole puddle of water came out. I took the mask off this morning and didn't pay attention to it , so I don't know if this was there all night, or the condensation was maybe during the cool down cycle?? It was cold last night and my room may have been 65..
I do not have a heated hose, do I need one? do I lower the humidity? It was set at 3 last night..
Sure don't want to drown trying to breath better Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: water in the line??
You wont drown, since you'll wake up when the first spray of cold water its you in the nose. =O.O=
I use a Hybernite heated hose for the job. Shop around and you can pick one up for about $50.
I used to use a ClimateLine by ResMed but never could get it working right.
(either I'd get condensate in the hose or it would give me the dry mouth bit. )

I always check for moisture build up every morning just to see if the hoses need to be mopped out & dryed inside.
I was getting some moisture last night and that was with room at 76-77 degrees F.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi carolynn,
I have the "ClimateLine" hose and am very content wit it. If you don't want to get that, you could either make a tubewrap out of ol socks, (by cutting out the toes and sewing several of them together,) to cover your tube or you can purchase one already made, (there are several different brands out there,) you can see them at suppliers on the supplier list on the board.
Best of luck to you wi that.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Humm. A cozy for the hose would be the first & lowest cost thing to try. Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Lemme 'splain what's happening:

The water in the hose is just like the outside of a soda can when you take it out of the fridge on a warm summer day. Except for the hose, it's on the inside.

The humid air coming from the humidifier is warmer than the air in your bedroom which makes the hose get cold. The humid air cools slightly so the water settles out of the air onto the hose. This is called "rainout". The water can puddle in the low places of the hose. When enough of it puddles, the air from the machine can make the water "gurgle". It can be quite loud and will make your dog bark.

By keeping the hose warm--either by a heated hose or a cover over the hose--condensation is much less.

You won't drown, there's not enough there to do it. The worst case scenario is condensation forms in the mask then either drips into or gets blown into your nose. It can burn like the beejeebers because of the difference in pH.

If your bedroom is cold in the winter, then a heated hose is a great thing to have. Since starting using one, I've had no gurgling at all. However, it doesn't keep my mask's hose warm and I get condensation there. I often get woken up to a baptism in progress. The air blows water droplets out the exhaust port and then splashes down on me. In the summer, when the bedroom is warmer, you probably won't need the climateline.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
$50 for the heated hose is worth every penny. Put on auto, select temp to preference and protects against rainout
Hose cosy will help together with placing the machine lower than your bed and not over fill the tank, just fill a bit below the top line
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbs up for heated hose

I have never had a rainout issue since getting one with my S9 Autoset.
My older machine didn't have that option and I woke up @ 3am to a very cold shower in my nose .... Not a fun experience at all.
I thought I was drowning at first until I realized what happened.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing like a splash of cold water in your snout early in the morning!

Smile

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2013, 01:00 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I used to use a ClimateLine by ResMed but never could get it working right.
(either I'd get condensate in the hose or it would give me the dry mouth bit. )

I believe you know the answer but just a reminder -- there should not be any rainout if you have it set to "Auto" - if you have it set to "Manual" then not only is it more flexible but you're possibly at risk for rainout. OTHERWISE it would indicate your ClimateLine was malfunctioning.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience with condensation in the hose is (F&P Icon Auto at around 14cm and all the humidity it will give me) that it "bumps" as it blocks an opening and gets pushed out. I have been slightly baptised by a few condensation drops exiting the vent.

My solution was to wrap the hose in an ace bandage and keep it under the pillow and the covers. But I also told my DME, and now have a nice, warm heated hose in bed with me. I still want a cozy for the mask, and possibly for the hose too, as when it gets warm, I won't want that warm hose in my bed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,804 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 209 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 353 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.