Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

weight gain + lost "wind"
weight gain + lost "wind"
Relatively new user here - I've been on a face mask for about 5 months.

As others have noted, I've had some weight gain, which I think is mostly stomach muscle. In the first couple of months I would wake up alert and mentally rested, but physically tired. In particular my chest muscles would be aching. I put this down to using those muscles more to "fight" the pressure of the CPAP. That's gone away, but now my stomach is getting bigger. I exercise regularly and don't overeat. What can I do?

Another phenomenon: I seem to have lost some "wind". I'm a sometime singer (sing lead in a geezer rock band) and since I've been on the CPAP I seem to get out of breath much more. I've had to change the way I breath in phrasing, so I don't run out of wind.
Even for things like going up stairs, I'm huffing and puffing more. What's up with this? I've never had these problems before - I would have thought this stuff would get better...

Any advice appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: weight gain + lost "wind"
(05-22-2014, 08:38 AM)SledDawg Wrote: Relatively new user here - I've been on a face mask for about 5 months.

As others have noted, I've had some weight gain, which I think is mostly stomach muscle. In the first couple of months I would wake up alert and mentally rested, but physically tired. In particular my chest muscles would be aching. I put this down to using those muscles more to "fight" the pressure of the CPAP. That's gone away, but now my stomach is getting bigger. I exercise regularly and don't overeat. What can I do?

I don't know that weight gain would be because of you generating stomach muscle. I would think it more likely that with improved sleep your seeing some change in your metabolism. Probably temporary. Are you using the autoset machine? If so, you might try setting the EPR on and a setting of 2 or 3. That will result in less pressure being required on the exhale. For instance at 3, the exhale will be 3 less than whatever your inhale is set on. By the way, what is it set on? On your sidebar it says 4.5. I believe that is probably your humidity setting, not your pressure.

The symptoms you describe could be caused by too high a pressure, but don't change it just yet.

(05-22-2014, 08:38 AM)SledDawg Wrote: Another phenomenon: I seem to have lost some "wind". I'm a sometime singer (sing lead in a geezer rock band) and since I've been on the CPAP I seem to get out of breath much more. I've had to change the way I breath in phrasing, so I don't run out of wind.
Even for things like going up stairs, I'm huffing and puffing more. What's up with this? I've never had these problems before - I would have thought this stuff would get better...

Any advice appreciated.

Carrying your new spare tire around will cause you to lose some "wind." You will experience the problems you describe until you return to your former slim trim self. I know, because I sure wish I could do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SledDawg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not sure what would be causing your problem.
Rock On.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, SledDawg,
Welcome! … and since you asked for it, here's my advice:
I would suggest a trip to your primary care physician just to see if something else is going on. Becoming noticeably "short of wind" may have nothing to do with CPAP therapy and may be a signal for something serious with your heart, lungs, thyroid or medications (if you are taking any). Please continue to take good care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. I suspect the short wind is from the additional weight and not from the CPAP. I go to the gym regularly as well and don't over eat. My weight and especially stomach have only gotten larger and it is very discouraging. I also get short of breath and physically tired. Carrying around 60 extra pounds I didn't have 4.5 years ago will do that. This is also what caused sleep apnea to become worse for me and prompted my husband to strongly encourage me to get checked out. I probably have had sleep apnea for a long time but not severe enough to cause me to notice symptoms.

My problem with weight has to do largely from some post cancer medication I am taking which has shut down my metabolism. I have read on-line the medication has the same effect on others and makes losing weight very difficult if not impossible. I am hopeful of going off it in December after 5 long years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 157 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 277 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 392 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,317 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lost Trust in CheckmeMax O2 Watch cmpman1974 1 311 10-05-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 698 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.