Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

weight gain with CPAP use
RE: weight gain with CPAP use
Sonicboom, Has it right. It's not complicated. Your body may adjust but the fix is still the same less food, more exercise or both.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

I can't post links yet, but resting metabolism changes with weight loss; it is VERY complicated.
Ultimately though, even with mitigating factors that make tiny adjustments one way or the other and that is all they are...tiny, what everyone is telling you is still true.

For example, our metabolism slows down as we get older which results in very minor weight gain every year even if all other factors remain consistant. The final calculation remains the same. You need to take in less calories than you are expending to lose weight. However that happens. That is an incontrovertible fact.
This simply is not true for a large number of people.  For those people it is a race that biologically cannot be won; you cannot "just" take in fewer calories and exercise more **because your metabolism will constantly adjust to keep you at the higher weight.**  

It's like trying to fill a bottomless glass -- if the glass had a bottom, X amount of water would fill it, but if it has no bottom, you can put as much water in as you like, and you will never fill it.

And with that, this will be my last post on this subject.
(08-02-2018, 02:44 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: I can't post links yet, but resting metabolism changes with weight loss; it is VERY complicated.

I know what your referring to and it is true that your body will try to adjust to lower calories by slowing down the metabolism. However you can combat that with steady everyday exercise. The more you lose the more you have to increase the exercise and cut down the calories. So it's not really that complicated it's just not what most people want to do.

Losing it is easy. Changing your lifestyle to keep it off is where most people fail.

But one incentive is you usually need less pressure on the CPAP when you do lose weight.

Eat-popcorn No salt or butter please.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Sorry, I said before it was my last post, but I can't let this falsity slide.  Adding exercise doesn't change the equation, and it has nothing to do with laziness or not wanting to make lifestlyle changes.  That is just flat out false.
(08-02-2018, 03:33 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: Sorry, I said before it was my last post, but I can't let this falsity slide.  Adding exercise doesn't change the equation, and it has nothing to do with laziness or not wanting to make lifestlyle changes.  That is just flat out false.

Walla Walla is completely right.

There is a movement currently that tells people, "it's not your fault that you are gaining weight!  It's your metabolism!!"  This is patently false whether you believe it or not and is entirely misleading.  As I mentioned before, your metabolism does have a role to play in your weight.  But it takes a back seat (like 6 rows back) to what you eat and how much you move.  Feel free to point out any published peer reviewed medical research that refutes this.
(08-02-2018, 01:03 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: No offense, but I think that advice is a bit simplistic.  There are many factors that go into weight gain and loss, and for many people, the body's metabolism continuously compensates for superficial "eat less, exercise more" solutions.

That's true.  I've had real problems with losing weight, especially off my middle, and was dieting and exercising hard to the point where I was getting daily hypos: probably not a cunning plan as I'm diabetic.  Did it help me lose weight?  No, in fact it was going up.

Turns out that it was an "undocumented feature" of a blood pressure drug I was taking.  I switched to another drug and in spite of slacking off from my exercise and diet, the weight started coming off: slowly, but at least headed in the right direction.

Metabolism is a tricky thing to figure out, though.  I've also started taking fairly high-dose stimulants for ADD-related problems, which are famous for making people lose weight.  So has the weight started to fall off?  No, not at all.  It's still trickling away at the same rate it was since stopping the offending bp med when I wasn't taking the stimulants.

Of course it's additionally difficult as being tired and depressed (often a side-effect of being constantly tired, if nothing else) makes you hungry all the time.  And with the best will in the world, it would seem that willpower is a finite resource, it can't be exercised 24/7, so that's another problem.

The medical establishment has a weird attitude to weight, though.  In spite of so many patients practically begging for help and the fact that helping them lose weight would save not just patient but doctor a massive amount of trouble, so many are incredibly judgemental and stick with a rather unscientific viewpoint that if someone's overweight they're simply lazy and greedy and brought it on themselves.  I've had that repeatedly from doctors who've actually acknowledged that I'm making myself ill by dieting and exercising too hard, and who also acknowledged that I must be doing something right because my diabetes has gone from being serious to very easily diet-controlled.  But no, I still sit around eating cake all day in spite of my bloods always being within the normal range, which is a bizarrely impressive example of doublethink.  Grr.
The First Law of Thermodynamics / Caloric Balance theory of weight gain and loss has been roundly and repeatedly disproven by scientific experiments over the past 100+ years.  That is what the actual science says.  And yes, The Authorities continue to spout this disproven theory.  This is not a disorder of eating too much and moving too little. It is a hormonal imbalance disorder. For a very readable, and usable, exploration of this, see The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung.
(08-02-2018, 12:09 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: So there's the final answer. Sleep Apnea treatment either makes you gain, lose, or maintain weight. Glad we could help.

Sadly, it seems to be the case: I honestly started losing weight when I started CPAP... but I also started taking thyroid meds for hypothyroidism at the same time.

I've always put it down to the fact that now that I don't nod off between sentences, and have, you know, energy... that I might be more active.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement Fox66 9 219 04-22-2024, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Fox66
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 253 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 459 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 256 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 438 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,442 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 754 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.