Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water change
RE: Water change
(01-11-2016, 02:03 AM)AshSF Wrote: FWIW, I have started using bottled Aquafina instead of distilled. I fill about half the tub every night, dump the remaining water in the morning and let it air dry. No build up of any kind for 60 days and counting. And I wash the tub once every 10 days with regular foaming soap.

Aquafina is rated as 4ppm TDS water so it's fairly close to distilled.

Aquafina, or any bottled drinking water is just fine, but is more expensive than distilled, and offers few benefits over most municipal tap supplies. Huh I do use bottled water when traveling, and whenever we are at a location with well water or questionable quality.

Dont-know Whatever works. From all the attention it gets, you'd think the water in our humidifiers really made a difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stop & Shop offers giant one gallon containers of distilled water for 99 cents. I have no idea why anyone would be bottled water in their CPAP machines.

As for why you might use distilled water, I had a humidifier a few years ago that I completely ruined because I used tap water, it gunked it up with concrete-like scaling. As CPAP's cost over $1000 a piece, as opposed to my $40 humidifier, I'd rather not take the chance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 10:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 02:03 AM)AshSF Wrote: FWIW, I have started using bottled Aquafina instead of distilled. I fill about half the tub every night, dump the remaining water in the morning and let it air dry. No build up of any kind for 60 days and counting. And I wash the tub once every 10 days with regular foaming soap.

Aquafina is rated as 4ppm TDS water so it's fairly close to distilled.

Aquafina, or any bottled drinking water is just fine, but is more expensive than distilled, and offers few benefits over most municipal tap supplies. Huh I do use bottled water when traveling, and whenever we are at a location with well water or questionable quality.

I agree if you are in the US where distilled is 89cents a gallon at Walmart. But overseas, distilled is 5x - 20x more expensive than purified low TDS waters like Aquafina.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no two way about it, distilled water is the way to go
I can get get distilled water from local supermarket for use in steam irons/mobs but the label warn, not to use in medical equipments

I've been using tap water for a while, no problem with gunks or build-up, some tap water quality is better than others
Definitely not using tap water if looks dodgy or smelly. The rule of thumb for me, if the water is safe to drink, also safe to use in my CPAP humidifier, some might have problem with that, I guess, each to their own

I'll be drinking a lots of chilled tap water today plus some other refreshment to keep cool, temp going to be in high thirties
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that a good, well chilled Australian beer in a frozen mug might be an even more refreshing drink in the high thirties! Big Grin Dont-know

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 06:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I would think that a good, well chilled Australian beer in a frozen mug might be an even more refreshing drink in the high thirties! Big Grin Dont-know
Indians drink hot Chai tea on hot day to cool down, I suppose there is a logic to it but prefer the above, a lots of thoughts went into it Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 05:37 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I get slime if I don't dump in the morning and let air dry during the day.

I have a water softener and use tap water.

ditto here. Rinse it well and add a little dish detergent once in a while. (the water does not go thru the machine.) If you don"t have a water softener, a vinegar and water soak will remove cloudiness from tank. (rinse well, LOL)Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with the distilled water users. It's cheap enough (at least here in the US), I only pay about .88 a gallon. I have never had any buildup of any kind, and don't have to use anything harsh to clean the tank, other than Dawn Soap, rinse, and air dry. Compared to the cost of CPAP machines, why not use it? Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also in the distilled water camp:

1. It's cheap
2. Resmed says to use it and if you don't and you have an issue with machine/humidifier you may have breached the warranty by not following the written instructions so why mess with it given #1.

FWIW, my DME said using filtered water through a Brita type filter would be fine too so I doubt #2 would be a real threat but again given #1 why bother.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
As a side note here, I have read other posts here reporting low water consumption and wonder if they are using the proper procedure. I think most of them are during winter months.

Let's face it, if you keep your bedroom pretty chilly and you also keep your distilled water in the same room and furthermore don't preheat the water before starting the flow generator, it won't be delivering much humidity for a very long time, perhaps the entire first half of your sleep session.

Some may not be aware that their flow generator has a "Warm Up" feature or haven't used it for whatever reason. My S9 Auto does anyway, perhaps some don't.

I also keep my distilled water jug sitting with its edge partially over the floor register in the warmest room of the house so it can always be slightly above room temperature. You may also decide to warm the water by microwaving it. Whatever you decide will be better than using cold water from the get-go, especially if you use tap water, which can get very cold during winter months in some areas.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,710 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 94 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.