Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

weird smell after removing mask?
weird smell after removing mask?
I just started with a ResMed AirSense 10 and a Quattro Air mask. (a story behind that, which I'll skip for now).
When I use the machine, the air in the mask has a very slight plastic smell but otherwise as clean as mountain air. However after using it for a night and taking off the mask, the air in the room has a very strange unpleasant smell like sweet burning plastic. I can't tell if this is some sort of strange illusion of perception or if the machine really is filling the room with bad air. The sensation lasts for a couple of minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: weird smell after removing mask?
G'day upat3am.

A couple of thoughts come to mind...

1. There is something wrong with your machine and it's giving of this smell
2. There is a source of the smell other than your machine, which you don't normally notice
3. The apparent smell is an artefact caused by the filtered and humidified air you're breathing. Or to put it another way, you've adjusted to breathing the air from the machine so your nose / mind imagines that the room air smells off.

If you have a partner, does he/she notice the bad smell?
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people have noticed this. We haven't really figured it out, but it doesn't seem to be unusual or lead to any big problems.

One thing that occurs to me is that you're breathing air that comes from where the machine is sitting, and you don't smell yourself. i.e. your body smell, any cosmetics, hand creams, laundry detergents, shampoo, soap, etc. When you take off your mask, you smell all that stuff over again.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine sucks in the air that it pushes out though the hose. If the machine was giving off bad smelling air, that would have to be pretty close to the air intake. So it would also be sucking in the bad smelling air and you would smell it through the mask. If that was the case, it should be less strong after you take the mask off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur with arch on this one, the human nose becomes "numb" to smells after a fairly short time. that's why women (usually) that marinate in perfume aren't knocked out by it, but sharing an elevator with them can be an eye watering experience.

you've spent the night breathing air that's coming from a distance away, and when you unmask, you get the smells that are right at your nose, sheets, pillows, hair, any cosmetics, etc... things that you stop smelling after a few minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every day when I remove my mask I can smell laundry even though we haven't done laundry in a few days. I think the machine just clears the palate for you to smell things around you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I unmask, I smell flowers. Not complaining. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

There's a phenomenon associated to this event, it's called desensitization, when an outside stimulus (in this case smell) is most abundant you notice it, but after being around it for a few minutes you don't notice it anymore. In your case, you smell the plastics of the mask when you put it on, when you take it off, the smell changes and you notice it without the devise most directly in your olfactory nerves (the smell center to the brain) and after being off for say maybe 20 minutes or so...the smell is gone...it's the same for any of your senses: touch, hear, visual, smell, taste (these last 2 can coincide), examples can be used in any of these experiences to test this phenomenon, & as Archangle describes substances used daily, just not real close "in your nose" for a continued period of time.
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I did an experiment and held my breath as I turned off the machine, then ran into the living room to take my first breath. Same weird smell. So it does seem to be due to an olfactory fatigue effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
I notice this too even after a year of cpap.

Now imagine if you were living at your grandmother's house.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,724 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,208 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 290 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.