Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what does 95% mean
what does 95% mean
pressure median 12.5 95% 16 maximum 16 - i understand the median and high but not the 95
i set my pressure 10-16
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what does 95% mean
(06-20-2013, 10:01 PM)Vesta flaggert Wrote: pressure median 12.5 95% 16 maximum 16 - i understand the median and high but not the 95
i set my pressure 10-16
thanks
95% percentile pressure means pressure been at or below that number for 95% of the time using the machine
ResScan graph shows pressure movement during the night
As both 95% and maximum shows 16 which is the same as maximum set pressure, does mean the machine want to go higher but can not go above the set pressure (which is also 16)

Whats the leak rate, AHI including CA

Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to check out this Wiki article. It might shed some light. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 10:33 PM)zonk Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 10:01 PM)Vesta flaggert Wrote: pressure median 12.5 95% 16 maximum 16 - i understand the median and high but not the 95
i set my pressure 10-16
thanks
95% percentile pressure means pressure been at or below that number for 95% of the time using the machine
ResScan graph shows pressure movement during the night
As both 95% and maximum shows 16 which is the same as maximum set pressure, does mean the machine want to go higher but can not go above the set pressure (which is also 16)

Whats the leak rate, AHI including CA

My leak rate was median - 0, 95% 1,2 and max 3.4
AHI 1.5 with .5 central and .8 obstructive
Oximetry - 1 min 7 sec below 90

upped limit to 18 last nighy
Pressure median 15, 95% 18, man 18
leak Median 0, 95% 2.4, max 152.4
AHI 7, Central .3, obstructive .3
Oximetry 1 sec under 90

I was on max of 12 with exhaustion. Took card in Oct 2012 and tech said my pressure was always at 11.9 and left it the way it was.
In April or so went because so exhausted and tech said my pressure was at the same of 11.9 and increased max to 14.

Them i read the pressure on the cpap and I was hitting 14 so at that point I decided I needed to get involved in this myself. I an RN so have some medical knowledge but none on reading CPAP results. I also ordered pulse oximeter for s9 and now I am confused as what to do.

Vesta
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. Once again, your 95% pressure point is at your maximum limit. Your leaks appear fine - that last max leak of 152.4 is undoubtedly because you took off your mask with the CPAP still on.

The mindless logical course would be to raise your maximum even more. On one hand, from what I've read, people will often run their Auto-PAP full-open at limits of 4-20, which are the capability limits of your machine. On the other hand, you have already gone from an initial pressure (presumably the result of a sleep study?) of 12 to your current pressure of 18, which is an increase of 50%.

My best suggestion as a non-medical person would be to continue with your current setting of 18 for a week or two, and if you continue to max out your 95% pressure point, to bite the bullet and increase your maximum to 20. But that advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. As an RN, and as the recipient of the treatment, you are in a better position to decide than I.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure why autoset pressure run away like that, maybe schedule an appointment with the sleep doctor

In the meantime you might want go back to fixed pressure and monitor O2 levels with the oximeter

Edit: Try rebooting machine (unplug, wait and plug back so the machine reset itself)
Also have the machine tested by ResMed or even replaced, maybe developed some problems
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2013, 07:11 PM)zonk Wrote: Not sure why autoset pressure run away like that, maybe schedule an appointment with the sleep doctor

In the meantime you might want go back to fixed pressure and monitor O2 levels with the oximeter

Edit: Try rebooting machine (unplug, wait and plug back so the machine reset itself)
Also have the machine tested by ResMed or even replaced, maybe developed some problems

This started as soon as I started increasing my high limit so after a few days I started using a brand new s9 I had just purchased for a back-up because I too wondered and the results were the same
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2013, 06:55 PM)RonWessels Wrote: Wow. Once again, your 95% pressure point is at your maximum limit. Your leaks appear fine - that last max leak of 152.4 is undoubtedly because you took off your mask with the CPAP still on.

The mindless logical course would be to raise your maximum even more. On one hand, from what I've read, people will often run their Auto-PAP full-open at limits of 4-20, which are the capability limits of your machine. On the other hand, you have already gone from an initial pressure (presumably the result of a sleep study?) of 12 to your current pressure of 18, which is an increase of 50%.

My best suggestion as a non-medical person would be to continue with your current setting of 18 for a week or two, and if you continue to max out your 95% pressure point, to bite the bullet and increase your maximum to 20. But that advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. As an RN, and as the recipient of the treatment, you are in a better position to decide than I.

Actually when I was first diagnosed with sleep apnea about 15 or more years ago when I used cpap straight pressure I had three studies within a year or so because I didnt think the pressure of 12 was correct but all three showed the same pressure. For many years now I have been usuing the autotitrate but no sleep study since initial three. The RT that owns the company I use for my equipment has been reading my card and in my opinion remiss in not increasing my max pressure as I was hitting 12 most nights at a maximum as I can see now with this software. Since I have the pulse oximeter I will keep pressure for a week at max of 18 and reevaluate. I have been reading a kot recently on setting and some literature states the pressure gradieint should be small. Any thought on a low to set, I also read about central apneas due to low carbon dixode build up with a high pressure but I was having about the same number of CAs at 12.
Thanks Vesta
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a doctor...don't even play one on TV. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either. This is not medical advice, just sharing what I would do if it were me - keep in mind that I don't have any other medical issues, just OSA and that's it. So here goes:

The most important measure would be how I feel. One or two nights worth of data isn't really enough to go on, but I would be concerned about all of those hypopneas. I would also be concerned about SpO2 - mine runs at 97% at rest when awake and that's where I want it to be all night (or at least fairly close) and I wouldn't be happy with a drop down to 90% or below. I see AHI as just a number - it is oversimplified. AHI of 5 may be OK if desaturation doesn't disturb Delta Wave or REM sleep. AHI of .1 may be awful if that .1 just happens to be an event that knocked me out of NREM3 sleep just a couple minutes into it (that's a highly unlikely scenario, but you get the point). The machine's algorithm sets out to defeat all obstructive events...it doesn't just get the AHI down to <5 and consider it a job well done (like an RT might). If it were me, I would set the Auto to Min. 15 - Max. 20, let the machine do what it was designed to do and see what happens to AHI, SpO2 and quality of sleep. That's just me though and I know that quite a few people will disagree and I will freely admit that I'm a pressure addict so I might be considered to be a little on the reckless side.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2013, 07:52 PM)Vesta flaggert Wrote: I also read about central apneas due to low carbon dixode build up with a high pressure but I was having about the same number of CAs at 12.

Hi Vesta,

Obstructive sleep apnea is usually positional to some degree.

My obstructive events are much worse when I am in supine position. So I wear a tee shirt with tennis ball in a pocket sewn between my shoulder blades, to keep me off my back.

You might try this.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.