Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what does a negative AHI mean?
RE: what does a negative AHI mean?
(02-16-2013, 03:35 AM)jamica5555 Wrote: I do have the s9 escape.

Is that not a good machine?

Does it say "Escape" or "Escape Auto" next to the power button? They are two different machines.

I wouldn't accept either one given a choice. Escape Auto records a little bit more date than an Escape, but an S9 Elite or AutoSet record much more useful data.

However, either machine will deliver pressure well. The problem is that the Escape gives you no information on whether it's working to cure your apnea. If you need a different pressure from what they measured during one night in the lab, you get no feedback. The Escape Auto gives you an AHI number, but for little or no extra money out of your pocket, and AutoSet gives you and your doctor a LOT more information.

If your Escape Auto says you have nearly zero AHI, you're probably doing OK. However, if the AHI goes up, or you aren't feeling right, it has no more data to help you figure out what's wrong.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure how that works because my insurance ended up buying it instead of renting it even though i of course had to pay a portion so now I own it and I now have new insurance aetna so Im not sure when I would be eligible to upgrade I will have to call them. Again how is it that I am doing so well supposedly and yet even on 0 ahi nights the machine increases my pressure like i have had an event it just doesnt make sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be detecting flow limitation and increasing your pressure based on that. I'm just guessing though.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2013, 01:07 AM)jamica5555 Wrote: Again how is it that I am doing so well supposedly and yet even on 0 ahi nights the machine increases my pressure like i have had an event it just doesnt make sense.

Auto machines also use other factors to determine when pressure needs to be increased. I'm not sure of all of them, but flow limitation (as Sleepster said) might be one. I know that "Snore" is one that is used with ResMed machines (probably other brands too). The snoring doesn't even have to be loud enough to hear. I think they determine what they call "snore" based on waveform patterns. I never snore enough that anybody would be able to hear it now that I use PAP; but, I get some pressure increases that do not correspond to apneas or hypopneas and most of the time I can look at the "Snore Index" graph and see that the pressure increase seems to be in response to slight snoring. I guess they (the machine designers) figure that if they can keep the snoring from escalating, then they can prevent the obstruction from getting worse and causing hypopneas and apneas.

Quote:I am not sure how that works because my insurance ended up buying it instead of renting it even though i of course had to pay a portion so now I own it and I now have new insurance aetna so Im not sure when I would be eligible to upgrade I will have to call them.

You might be able to get the DME to take the Escape Auto back and give you an AutoSet (they might want to charge you a little extra for the exchange). If your doctor is worth his/her salt, s/he might be willing to help by agreeing you need the data, which includes things like "Flow Limitation" and "Snore Index" graphs, to monitor and optimize therapy. If so, s/he could write you a "dispense as written" prescription for an AutoSet.

I'm not sure about all of this because when the lousy DME foisted an Escape Auto on me it was just a rental and they had to take it back. The H5i humidifier was a lump sum purchase though (and outrageously priced) so I had to keep it; but that's not a problem because all S9s use the same humidifier.

I would strongly encourage you to be vigilant in trying to get the upgrade to the data capable machine. Hopefully you can get your doctor to advocate for you and you might even get lucky like I did and find someone helpful at your insurance company. Less of a chance; but, you might be able to get the DME to consider putting your health above their profit margin (don't hold your breath for that one).

Best of luck.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
The main thing is to let the DME know that you are shopping around and looking for treatment options that suit you better. As soon as they hear that they change their tune. They go from saying things like "your insurance probably won't pay for that" to "let me check with your insurance company and see if that's an option for you".
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 03:35 AM)jamica5555 Wrote: I do have the s9 escape.

You're still saying you have and S9 "Escape" and you have and S9 "Escape Auto."

We can't help you until you tell us which model you have.

Which one does it say next to the power button? One of the two names should be printed there.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone heard of Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome. I am wondering if maybe I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when really I have that.... would cpap treatment still work either way?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2013, 03:48 AM)jamica5555 Wrote: Has anyone heard of Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-Syndrome

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2013, 06:08 AM)zonk Wrote:
(02-20-2013, 03:48 AM)jamica5555 Wrote: Has anyone heard of Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-Syndrome
Flow Limitation/UARS and BiPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht=journey

Post Reply Post Reply
Wiki article on UARS here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=UARS

Treatment is essentially the same as that for sleep apnea.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 381 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,464 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Diagnosis] Symptomatic but Sleep Apnea Negative per WatchPat Ninjaa 10 1,041 05-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ninjaa
  Seems like In-lab study is negative for SA, any advice/thoughts on what to do next? SteveIsTired22 0 405 01-25-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: SteveIsTired22
  Any downside/negative to having another provider/DME register device in AirView Spartan 3 670 12-07-2022, 12:12 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Diagnosis] Home test came back negative. Would I be silly to buy a CPAP anyway? kenzonagasaki 7 916 01-19-2022, 03:33 AM
Last Post: desaturator
  [Diagnosis] Negative sleep study, still ordered a CPAP Anargy 41 4,265 12-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Anargy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.