Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP?
what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP?
I'm very new to this topic. I'm not even sure if I have sleep apnea yet, but I was looking around at treatment options and I noticed there are machines that are labeled as Bi-level CPAP mahcines and others categorized as BiPAPs. What is the difference?

Thanks,
Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP?
BiPAP is a trade name for a Bilevel CPAP. They are basically the same thing. The bilevel CPAPs allow one to set the inhalation pressure and the exhalation pressure separately. BiPAP is Philips' name for it and VPAP is Resmed's name for Bilevel CPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi brose005,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Did you have a sleep study done and did they try you on a bilevel machine?
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaytonA for answering my question! When I was reading about them it seemed to me to be the same thing but some sites that sell them were segregating them into two different categories. Its also good to know that VPAP is the same thing as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
And Respironics has Flex and Resmed has EPR which both provide for a lower pressure on exhalation and are sort of a limited form of Bilevel CPAP. That confused me at first. There are a lot of terms floating around, some are marketing and some are medical.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi trish6hundred! Thanks for the welcoming words Smile

To answer your question, I have not had a sleep study done. I have been a snorer all of my adult life to the best of my knowledge. This was not much of a concern to me until recently I have been waking up a couple times throughout the night and have not been feeling rested in the morning even though I believe I am getting about 7 hours of sleep.

I looked into this a bit online and sleep apnea kept popping up as a possible diagnosis. Any advice on how to proceed? Are there ways I can self diagnosis myself? Do I go right to a doctor? Primary doctor or other? Or do I try to get one of these sleep studies performed? Any guidance on what to do next to try to address this issue would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
The name BiPAP has been copyrighted by Respironics, so rival suppliers of machines use other descriptive names , usually BiLevel , to identify the function of their machines. From my personal experience as a longtime apnea patient, the variously identified machines seem to work equally well. Many patients have a personal preference for certain machines.
TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have not already, you can try a simple self-test:
http://www.circlecity.co.uk/sleepdesk/ep...p_test.php
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='chill' pid='165952' dateline='1466220637']
If you have not already, you can try a simple self-test:
epworth_sleep_test

Hi Chill,

Thanks for the tip. I took the test and got a score of 15 which means: "You may be excessively sleepy depending on the situation"

I think its clear that I am sleepy, its just finding out what is causing this new issue.

Do you know of any other tests or assessments to help me determine what the issue might be or at least rule out possibilities?

Thanks so much for your help. Hope you had a great weekend Thanks

Cheers,
Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
sleep test is the definitive one. You should get signed up for that, it can take a while to get in! You could buy a recording oximeter and show whether or not there are oxygen desaturations happening, you can record your sleeping and watch it to see if it looks like apnea, but you really need a sleep test to get the diagnosis. Many sleep docs are prescribing home sleep tests which cost significantly less.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 17 1,888 2 hours ago
Last Post: clan
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 377 Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,110 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 203 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 550 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 127 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.