Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP?
RE: what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP?
(08-08-2016, 09:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 05:09 PM)brose005 Wrote: Thanks so much for the helpful advice especially the wiki reference. So it seems there are two major companies. Philips Respironics and ResMed and their latest Auto models are the Dreamstation Auto and the AirSense 10 Auto. Are they equally as good? Does it matter which one I choose? Is there anything else I should be considering when picking between these two machines?

Thanks again for all the help!

Both machines are effective in treating obstructive sleep apnea, and each has a slightly different approach. The Resmed responds to obstructive events more rapidly, while the Respironics seems to hold closer to minimum pressure settings, but tests higher pressure (1.5 cm) routinely throughout the night. The most relevant thing for you, is both work on both 110 and 220 AC power. The Resmed uses a 24 volt power supply, and Respironics uses 12-volt. In the event you ever need to operate a machine on battery power, the Respironics is a bit easier to adapt.

Thanks for the detailed comparison. That was very helpful.

Lastly, in terms of masks, what do you suggest?

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2016, 04:52 PM)brose005 Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 09:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 05:09 PM)brose005 Wrote: Thanks so much for the helpful advice especially the wiki reference. So it seems there are two major companies. Philips Respironics and ResMed and their latest Auto models are the Dreamstation Auto and the AirSense 10 Auto. Are they equally as good? Does it matter which one I choose? Is there anything else I should be considering when picking between these two machines?

Thanks again for all the help!

Both machines are effective in treating obstructive sleep apnea, and each has a slightly different approach. The Resmed responds to obstructive events more rapidly, while the Respironics seems to hold closer to minimum pressure settings, but tests higher pressure (1.5 cm) routinely throughout the night. The most relevant thing for you, is both work on both 110 and 220 AC power. The Resmed uses a 24 volt power supply, and Respironics uses 12-volt. In the event you ever need to operate a machine on battery power, the Respironics is a bit easier to adapt.

Thanks for the detailed comparison. That was very helpful.

Lastly, in terms of masks, what do you suggest?

Thanks again!

Ok. So i have been doing some research and I think I want an full face mask as I seem to be a mouth breather. There are a lot of articles like this one that say the Mirage Quattro is the best mask around.

Its definitely not the cheapest but I'm considering picking it up. Any thoughts on this mask or other full face masks that you would recommend checking out. Just want to feel good that I made the right choice.

Cheers,
Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think there is any "best" mask. The best is what works for your face and the way you sleep. Best for you may not be best for me. Several of us here use the F&P Simplus and have had good results. You really want to try them out -- at pressure -- before deciding.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks for the advice. I looked at the return policy and looks like I am given at least a month or so to return them so I guess I'll just order a couple of them, keep the one that works for me and return the rest! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 15 1,859 15 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 367 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,101 Today, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 201 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 546 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 125 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.