Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP?
RE: what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epworth_Sleepiness_Scale
"scores of 11-15 are shown to indicate the possibility of mild to moderate sleep apnea"

I agree with Daria, time for a proper sleep test. I'd start with my primary doctor, they should be able to refer you to the right place. You can also see if there are local sleep clinics that can loan you a machine to do a home test. I know these exist in the UK and Canada. The American system remains a bit of a puzzle to me. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry for the very delayed response. It has been a little hectic lately. I think you are two are right. I should just go get a sleep test and figure this thing out once and for all. I am actually currently living in Medellin Colombia so this will get interesting as I am still learning spanish Huhsign

I will look to see if there is some form of a sleep clinic here or at least some doctor who has some expertise in that area.

Let me know if you have any advice on what questions I should be asking, etc. when I go in for my appointment.

Thanks so much for all the guidance!

Cheers,
Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
I speak fluent broken Spanish Grin but Sleep Apnea is rather out of my vocabulary range. I'd try to find a local who can speak English to go with you. It will probably be the doctor asking most of the questions and all you really want is to get a sleep test, either in-home or in a sleep lab if possible. With your symptoms that should not be too hard.
Post Reply Post Reply
First of all, want to give an update that I ended up making the leap and getting a sleep study done! I found a doctor that speaks english Big Grin I am glad I did as I was positively diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. Now its time to get this thing in check so I can start getting the sleep I need.

Obviously the next step is to get a CPAP machine and mask. I really would appreciate some guidance on how to go about finding the right one for me.

My prescription is: 11 CM/H2O

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
Best Article Ever on how to choose machine
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Get an "auto" machine. It will raise and lower the pressure between a low and high setting. Way better...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the helpful advice especially the wiki reference. So it seems there are two major companies. Philips Respironics and ResMed and their latest Auto models are the Dreamstation Auto and the AirSense 10 Auto. Are they equally as good? Does it matter which one I choose? Is there anything else I should be considering when picking between these two machines?

Thanks again for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
between the top 2 Auto machines, it's really personal preference. You will find adamant supporters of both, even among those who have tried both. I can't say - having only tried the machine in my profile - the now out of production Resmed S-9 Auto.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2016, 05:09 PM)brose005 Wrote: Thanks so much for the helpful advice especially the wiki reference. So it seems there are two major companies. Philips Respironics and ResMed and their latest Auto models are the Dreamstation Auto and the AirSense 10 Auto. Are they equally as good? Does it matter which one I choose? Is there anything else I should be considering when picking between these two machines?

Thanks again for all the help!

Both machines are effective in treating obstructive sleep apnea, and each has a slightly different approach. The Resmed responds to obstructive events more rapidly, while the Respironics seems to hold closer to minimum pressure settings, but tests higher pressure (1.5 cm) routinely throughout the night. The most relevant thing for you, is both work on both 110 and 220 AC power. The Resmed uses a 24 volt power supply, and Respironics uses 12-volt. In the event you ever need to operate a machine on battery power, the Respironics is a bit easier to adapt.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2016, 05:22 PM)DariaVader Wrote: between the top 2 Auto machines, it's really personal preference. You will find adamant supporters of both, even among those who have tried both. I can't say - having only tried the machine in my profile - the now out of production Resmed S-9 Auto.

Thanks for advice. I have seen a lot about the ResMed S-9 Auto. Seems to be pretty popular. Would you recommend picking up a used one of those or just stick to the new models? These machines aren't cheap Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,241 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 587 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.