Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what is your percentage of days of ahi 5 or greater?
RE: what is your percentage of days of ahi 5 or greater?
clearly I need some help. time to give a little history and post some statistics and graphs. should I do that here or start a new thread?
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest starting a new thread with a title reflecting what you want to know. Let this one run for a bit to see if more people respond.

Just looking at mine for the last nine months, I had 6 nights over the (roughly) 270 days, or about 2%.
Post Reply Post Reply
I should start a new thread asking for advice and posting some graphs
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, hoping others chime in with their stats. obviously not definitive but reports so far speak to the value of apnea board forum members sharing experiences and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
975 days of cpap use, 1 day over 5.  (Sleep test showed AHI of 26.)  I took to cpap like a duck to water so I'm thinking my results are a-typical.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanna be a duck too! I feel like I'm barely treading water. in 1987 my sleep study ahi was about 15 and all central (and never treated). 30 years and 40 pounds later, Nov. 2016: ahi 72.7 and 51% obstructive. I wonder, is there a correlation between higher ahi and treatment difficulty? intuitively makes sense but I don't know. your responses reinforce my inkling that apap not working so well for me yet. will post some background and graphs in a new thread soon...
Post Reply Post Reply
Something isn't working....obviously.  My very incipient understanding is that a person with a lot of centrals or with complex (combination) apnea might do much better with an ASV...aut-servo ventilator.  Are you...have you only been... on an APAP all this time?

The more informed people hear will take a look at any data you can furnish using sleepyhead.org's freeware if your machine has telemetry via the 3G/4G net, or an SD card reader.  They will need to see some periods graphically during which you experienced any problems, especially those that recur nightly.
Post Reply Post Reply
as I think about this, I suspect my 30% days of 5+ ahi is a bit inflated. I've been playing around with settings quite a bit, pretty much through only slightly systematic trial and error. sometimes I might even have chosen a setting anticipating a lousy result just to rule it out. seems likely that the more trial and error, the more likely to get some lousy results. but even taking that into consideration, my number is still way higher than the numbers reported by others' here.

yes, this apap is the only machine I've ever used. when I finally decided to try to get help again in late 2016, I went to the doc assuming I'd need bilevel or asv because my history of predominantly central apnea. doc wasn't interested in my 5 prior sleep studies though (in his defense, my most recent sleep study was more than 10 years old) and because insurance requires trying cpap before bilevel before asv I started with apap. doc wanted to sell me a machine out of his office but I said I wanted to rent until we were sure apap is the machine for me so they sent me to a dme. after a couple compliance appointments I asked doc about the centrals which had clearly diminished about as much as the obstructives on apap (ahi after first setting after titration was 5-6 after 30 some days with remaining unresolved apneas mostly obstructive) - doc, delighted with this result said with a shrug: "dunno why but we'll take it, buy the machine".

I feel like I'm dancing around the edges of success and that it may well be possible get decent therapy from this machine. after all, 70% days are below 5; problem is that it always creeps up at some point. looking at sleepyhead statistics, I have had less than 5 averages at a number of settings but what's hidden in the averages is that the daily ahi's for the last several days or so at that setting were increasingly worse. sometimes it's more obstructives; lately centrals have been increasing.

I have unresolved apneas even at max 20. my lips blow open just enough to leak and drool above about 13.4. actually, the last couple weeks this has been happening even at 11; no idea what's changed. I need to buy a new nasal pillow and headgear strap to see if that'll help but suspect I'll need a ffm to solve high pressure leaks. problem with that is having a full beard and on the advice of loved ones I prefer not to shave it off.

still, I just wonder if eventually I'm going to end up with a different machine to get more flexible/variable settings and to better address centrals. meanwhile I'll keep reading this forum, asking questions and keep fiddling for better results.

thanks for all the responses so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
It matters the type of apnea that you are recording, and it sounds like you may be experiencing predominately central events. We can work with variables like pressure and EPR, but your options are limited with centrals. I have seen a number of people with primarily central events coached to about what your are experiencing, but that when moved to ASV have near zero events.

My stats currently show 1023 days with average 0.81 and an OAI of 0.13. Have never touched 5 AHI, so the summary statistic is not even reported, I guess since 0% produces an error.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Over the last 18 months I've had one night when my  AHI was over 5 and that was due to being sick with a cold.

Most recent 3 month average AHI is 1.9 of which 1.5 is reported as being centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 172 Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,239 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 147 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 144 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 249 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 471 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 371 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.