Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what mask ? air leaking through my head
Wink 
what mask ? air leaking through my head
Sleeping with my mouth closed I am woken by internal air leak that makes my cheeks puff up like a hamster with a mouth full of sunflower seeds. Some times I even get a lip fart. Needless to say this is not leaving me refreshed and ready to take on the day. I do not see how a chin strap would help so a FFM seems to me the only way to solve this. Of course that could lead to swallowing air...... If I am awake I can hold my tongue up and stop it but then being awake kinda sorta defeats the whole idea.
(I had sinus surgeries 20 yrs ago and I vaguely remember something making or enlarging a drainage passage.)
Anyone dealing with this air leakage and did you find a solution?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what mask ? air leaking through my head
Go for the FFM... works for me.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually tried a Quattro FX FFM first and could never keep it from leaking into my eyes and waking me up.

I tried to get a nasal mask to work for me for some time. Tried the chinstrap with the results you have mentioned. Tried the tongue placement trick. I could make it work quite well when awake and for a while thought that I had myself trained. Finally started seeing my data on an old S8 and decided that it was not really working.

An astute RT put me in a Mirage Quattro and I have been a happy camper ever since. My median leak rate is almost always 0 and my 95% leak is less than 10. I have also tried the Simplus and it seems to work OK but not quite as well as the Mirage Quattro for me.

The Mirage Quattro is a mask that people seem to either love or hate. The primary problems seem to be leakage or skin irritation on the nose. If you decide to try this mask, let me know and I will forward to you info on getting it adjusted properly and getting it working. Also some fixes for the skin irritation although I have never had that problem.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, a chinstrap is not going to prevent air from entering your mouth. You might want to practice controlling air by putting on the machine when you're awake, and learn the mechanics of excluding air from your mouth using your tongue. If you get really good, you should be able to speak and perhaps even drink water with the nasal pressure. If you can't master the pressure, you'll need to go to a FFM option that balances pressure between the nasal and oral. Really the only way to make nasal therapy work is to learn how to control it, and hope that skill translates into your sleep habit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 11:35 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mark, a chinstrap is not going to prevent air from entering your mouth. You might want to practice controlling air by putting on the machine when you're awake, and learn the mechanics of excluding air from your mouth using your tongue. If you get really good, you should be able to speak and perhaps even drink water with the nasal pressure. If you can't master the pressure, you'll need to go to a FFM option that balances pressure between the nasal and oral. Really the only way to make nasal therapy work is to learn how to control it, and hope that skill translates into your sleep habit.

I sleep with a Hall's tucked into my check to keep saliva flowing so I don't gag on massive sinus drainage (BTW this problem has reduced a lot since cpap) so my mouth is well trained to stay shut. Tongue however relaxes now that I actually sleep and that opens path for air bypass. I think this is the source of excessive leakage.

Currently sleeping in a reclining chair (thanks RG!) which is good for my spine and respiration and I cannot hear DearWife snoring and choking. However sleeping in the chair I miss morning snuggles and not helping my love life even a little bit. My spine and my shoulders want me to sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees. DW will soon have her own cpap machine so that will hopefully solve the snoring issue. (I of course never snore and sleepyhead lies about that)
I may need higher pressure flat on my back. FFM is looking like the overall solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Morning snuggles are fine........... But don't underestimate the value of mid-afternoon snuggles. Plan for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 12:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Morning snuggles are fine........... But don't underestimate the value of mid-afternoon snuggles. Plan for it.

Once I take my amphetamines it isn't happening until the next morning and if DW found out I was having afternoon snuggles while she was at work I thinking she would be less than pleased. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the PAPcap to be kinda useful for chipmunk face and lip leaking. If you are sleeping upright, it may work for you. Looks dorky as heck so don't sleep in front of a mirror. My problem was I was having to sleeping on my back on a slight incline and moving my head shifted the cap forward, releasing the pressure on the cheeks and chin. But in your situation, this probably won't happen.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 11:58 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I sleep with a Hall's tucked into my check to keep saliva flowing
That is very dangerous and a choking hazard. Would highly recommend you do something else.

[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 12:45 PM)krelvin Wrote:
(05-18-2015, 11:58 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I sleep with a Hall's tucked into my check to keep saliva flowing
That is very dangerous and a choking hazard. Would highly recommend you do something else.

Been doing this at least 20 yrs - still here. Used to keep a sippy cup by the bed. Peed all night long.

What would be the something else?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 304 9 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 624 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 405 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 282 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 587 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,531 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 536 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.