Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what spares to take on trip?
what spares to take on trip?
The last part of May I'll be out of the country for 12 days.
What spares would you all recommend to take?
(right now I have no spares of anything...)

I'm thinking at a minimum a spare nasal pillow.

Spare tank would probably be overkill.
Spare tube might be an idea.
Spare mask, I don't know... Maybe.

My setup will be a little over two months old at that point (when I go).

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what spares to take on trip?
(04-20-2015, 04:01 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: The last part of May I'll be out of the country for 12 days.
What spares would you all recommend to take?
(right now I have no spares of anything...)

I'm thinking at a minimum a spare nasal pillow.

Spare tank would probably be overkill.
Spare tube might be an idea.
Spare mask, I don't know... Maybe.

My setup will be a little over two months old at that point (when I go).

Be REALLY sure you don't leave behind any of the necessary parts. Lots of people end up forgetting the power supply, the cord that goes between the power supply and the wall, etc. Be sure to have whatever power adapters you need for the country you'll be in. Your machine will probably work off off 120 or 240V power sources with the right cord between the power brick and the wall.

Make a written checklist of all the parts you need and check it whenever you pack the machine up.

Put your name, phone and e-mail on the machine.

Some masks are smaller and easier to pack. For instance, my Swift FX scrunches down into a pretty small area. A FFM would be worse.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rather than a spare tube, I'd probably wrap 3-4 feet of duct tape around an old credit-card size card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 06:18 PM)iSnore Wrote: ... wrap 3-4 feet of duct tape around an old credit-card size card.

Wow. I think that is ALWAYS a good idea.
This space for rent.
Post Reply Post Reply
The duct tape doesn't work on the non-smooth tubes. I've tried. And if the break happens at the ends, totally not working.

I ditto the checklist. Because I have left the house without the power cord once. Luckily my S7 used a simple computer cord and I got one from Staples. Can't do that now!

Check everything over before you go. Replace anything that might look wonky. Or just get new everything a few days before you go, giving them a short use to test for okay-ness. I once just took a new mask out of the box and went. Then realized it wasn't complete when I got there. But I had also tossed my old mask in my big suitcase just for gits and shiggles. Phew!

For me, pillows are the most important. I've lost one but luckily had the next size up with me. It was a few days of uncomfortable but beat the alternative! I always take spare pillows now, even for short trips.

Filters. Filters filters filters. Stinky hotels. You can change them after each place.

Extension cord. Doesn't have to be a thick thing, just a simple thin cord will do. Nothing longer than 6' is needed most of the time.

Plug adapter if you need one. You get get them just about anywhere nowadays.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good info everyone.

I have some duct tape on a pencil in my motorcycle kit, but I like the sound of the card technique even better.

The Resmed zipper case has individual compartments for everything, with pictures on each flap, so that acts as a self-documenting checklist. I used it for a 4-day weekend in Orlando a week ago, and it worked out pretty good.

I even took my own distilled water on that trip, putting some from the gallon jug into a rinsed out 2 liter bottle. Where I'm going on this upcoming trip is a major city in Brazil (Recife), so I'll be able to get distilled water, but probably won't be able to get Resmed parts easily.

Ordered an extra medium pillow yesterday, and will bring my large pillow as an extra backup. Also ordered some filters yesterday.

Good idea on the adapter and extension cord. I think as long as I don't drop, lose, or tear anything, I should be ok... Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
For ribbed hoses a roll of electrical tape works great. Most important - extra underwear!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or go commando.... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget to enjoy your trip Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Most definitely!

Will be in the tropics, on the coast. 83 degrees during the day, 76 at night.

Nice break from work.

Also my stepdaughter's wedding the day before I come back. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP or not on short trip? mcman56 8 962 09-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Korea business trip trip report, machine died GeoffD 13 6,380 04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Last Post: GeoffD
  The trip from ignorance and denial zonk 22 5,783 11-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.