Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what to do with pressure after getting up
what to do with pressure after getting up
Just new to CPAP. I have been using it for four nights now...and finally was able to wear it all night last night. I use the nasal pillows. Just not sure what to do, if I wake up through the night...say for a washroom break. My machine is still a loaner of course, for three more weeks. My pressure is set to seven, and the tech set the machine to ramp from 4 to seven, over 45 minutes. I leave it running and when I return to bed, I am unable to tolerate the air at 7, I start to hyperventilate, as I find the pressure to breathe out, too difficult. Is it ok to stop the machine, and then it will take 45 minutes again to ramp up, allowing me to be asleep again before it gets too difficult for me. Also, will this be a non issue, after I have used it for awhile? Thanks for any info.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what to do with pressure after getting up
Yes, this is fine. A lot of us do that.

When you get your final machine, consider making that ramp shorter. It is my opinion that the shorter the ramp, the faster you acclimatize to the pressure. I used to use ramp feature all the time but stopped because I got so used to the full pressure, I couldn't breathe at the lower pressure. I was having more and more problems feeling suffocated. Someone suggested I turn the ramp off and that worked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kitley
Congrats on being able to wear the mask all night long.
I agree with Paula ramp 45 mins is way too long especially at 4 which for me would feel suffocating but my pressure is higher than yours.
What machine are you using and did come with the humidifier?
If experiencing problem exhaling against the pressure turning on the exhale pressure relief (EPR, Flex) can help as it can lower the pressure at exhale by 1, 2, or 3 cm which some find more tolerable and comfortable.
Say you turn ramp off and set EPR/Flex at 3 and at your pressure at 7 you you would be exhaling at 4 and getting proper pressure to treat your apnea as in ramp (4) for 45 mins is not doing much if you need 7.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
I still use my ramp after nearly a year - I don't need to any more but I do because I like the fact it gives me time to nod off before reaching its full setting. I would always turn the machine off if you get up for some reason...apart from anything...it would raise your AHI reading because leaving it running but not wearing it, would show a massive leak. Perhaps once you get used to it, turn the ramp down to a shorter time
Post Reply Post Reply
there is no right or wrong answer. do whatever is more comfortable to you. you control the buttons.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I started using the Autoset, I had just standard CPAP machines set at 15 (with a 15 minute ramp - starting at 7). If I got up in the middle of the night, I'd just take the headgear off and then replace it after the 'break'. The trick to getting comfortable again was to open my mouth to equalize the pressure and once I'd adjusted to the pressure, close my mouth and go back to sleep.

Since the Autoset shuts off and turns on automatically, I've set the ramp to 5 minutes and the starting pressure to 10.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2012, 06:07 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi kitley
Congrats on being able to wear the mask all night long.
I agree with Paula ramp 45 mins is way too long especially at 4 which for me would feel suffocating but my pressure is higher than yours.
What machine are you using and did come with the humidifier?
If experiencing problem exhaling against the pressure turning on the exhale pressure relief (EPR, Flex) can help as it can lower the pressure at exhale by 1, 2, or 3 cm which some find more tolerable and comfortable.
Say you turn ramp off and set EPR/Flex at 3 and at your pressure at 7 you you would be exhaling at 4 and getting proper pressure to treat your apnea as in ramp (4) for 45 mins is not doing much if you need 7.

Hi Paula and Zonk...thanks so much for your speedy replies. My loaner machine is a Medres Escape 58. It has a button that says I can heat the humidifier. It is not turned on, so I would assume it is now set for n onheated humidifier. I will have to look in my case and see if she included a manual for the machine. I can contact someone 24 hours a day, if needed, and also leave a message for the resp. tech. If there is no book I maybe will try that. It is just disappointing that I am able to wear it all night, but feeling as though I can't breath, until I fall asleep. Of course this happens at least 10 times through the night, as I continue to get used to the new gear on my head and face. Without a manual I would not be comfortable changing the settings myself. When I purchase my own machine...is it of benefit to have one that has a heated humidifier, and what does it do for you?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2012, 11:29 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Before I started using the Autoset, I had just standard CPAP machines set at 15 (with a 15 minute ramp - starting at 7). If I got up in the middle of the night, I'd just take the headgear off and then replace it after the 'break'. The trick to getting comfortable again was to open my mouth to equalize the pressure and once I'd adjusted to the pressure, close my mouth and go back to sleep.

Since the Autoset shuts off and turns on automatically, I've set the ramp to 5 minutes and the starting pressure to 10.

Hi Bobg..I did automatically open my mouth but it felt worse and I closed it. Maybe I will try it again for a longer time and see what happens.

Post Reply Post Reply
Kitley, I predict you'll get used to the pressure of 7 in a very short while. When I go to the bathroom during the night I turn the machine off and disconnect the hose from my mask. If you do that your ramp will restart. Perhaps by the time you get your new machine you will be used to the pressure and not need the ramp. Using EPR, or flex will also increase comfort (as previously suggested). Good for you getting through the whole night with the pillows this quickly. Welcome to the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2012, 07:53 AM)zimlich Wrote: Kitley, I predict you'll get used to the pressure of 7 in a very short while. When I go to the bathroom during the night I turn the machine off and disconnect the hose from my mask. If you do that your ramp will restart. Perhaps by the time you get your new machine you will be used to the pressure and not need the ramp. Using EPR, or flex will also increase comfort (as previously suggested). Good for you getting through the whole night with the pillows this quickly. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Zimlich. I thought I would have an easier time then some new users. I exercise with a girl who's pressure is set at 11. She just loves it...does not know how she ever slept without it. She is the last user I spoke to before I went for my calibration. A positive note certainly helps. During calibration...they used a face mask on me..I was asleep in seconds...with frequent wake ups of course. It surprised me because I tend to be claustraphobic. I have had so many years of hardly any sleep, that almost anything to try is more than welcome. Also, I have TIA's which the resp. tech. thinks were caused by the sleep apnea...as well as heart arrythmias...so hopefully, I will live longer now...or at least not always be worried about when the big stroke is going to hit! Hopefully this is not just the honeymoon phase for me.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,350 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,646 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.