Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what to do with pressure after getting up
RE: what to do with pressure after getting up
A humidifier puts moisture into the air going into your nose. It's only really useful if the air is overly dry to begin with. I live in North Carolina and the humid summers mean I don't need the humidifier on. But in the winter, when I have the heat on, I have to use the humidifier or I wake up with a very dry nose and some sneezing. Some people still put water in the humidifier tank and use it as a passover humidifier. It still puts a little bit of moisture into the air, just enough to keep away dryness because the rushing air will still dry out your nose.

If you live in the desert, like Phoenix, you'll probably want a humidifier. If you live in a more normal place :grin: that is more temperate, you may not need one at all. If you have a humidifier going already in the room, you won't need another one.

That said, because you don't know what you will need and what your body will require, I think it is always best to get a machine with a heated humidifier. If the machine has one that is separate, like the ResMed S9 series, you can leave it off if you don't need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula...I looked at my machine a few minutes ago...and the heated button is on, so I guess I do have the humidifier on. That must go along with the dial that I had to turn down the second night...as I was gurgling and there was water in the tubing...lol. I hate learning how to use more equipment. Oh no...I forgot, my brain will soon be sharper with the CPAP, and it will be easier to figure out and remember....hoping so anyway. So far though, I am still in a fog. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
KItley..it 's just going to take some time to adjust ;like all of us. The face mask, pillows, machine noise, mask exhaust, tubing rubbing on the bed clothes,,all of these are foreign and un-natural to us. Baby steps is the way to giant leaps.
The gurgling is a strange phenomenon (called "rainout") that takes place when condensation accumilates in the tubing and the pressure is not strong enough to push the water all the way up to your mask, thank goodness . A remedy is either or a combination of these: turn the heat downor off on the humidifier; cover the tubing with a cozy (home made for under a $1 w/ flannel, works great) works best in winter; and the best, is to place your machine lower then your head (on floor is good place).
Don;t know what make of machine you are using, but if its a Respironics; when you wish to restart the ramp feature after a bathroom break, all you need to do is hit the ramp feature button when you get back in bed. You don;t have to turn the machine off, unless the wind noise disturbs another person when you remove your mask.
Taking off the mask and leaving the machine run does no harm to anything; it does not change your AHI numbers if you are concerned about that. AHI numbers (obstructive apnea, hypopnea, central apneas) are calculated when a flow "restriction" is observed, which is not the case because you have removed your mask. If your provider has enabled the mask off feature, then the machine will turn itself off after a couple of minutes when the mask is removed, and you will have to restart it and the ramp feature yourself.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Like almost everyone else I no longer`use a ramp pressure. For a month or so I had the ramp start at 8 than after a few minutes bump up to 12.
You will get used to the max pressure in a short while and probably won't need a ramp.
Getting used to the machine etc. is not accomplished overnight. Good to hear you kept your mask on all night after such a short time.
Bear with it...it gets easier.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the encouraging words. Patience, patience...lucky I have some. So now I know what rainout is too...so many new words and terms to get to know!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2012, 07:14 AM)kitley Wrote: My loaner machine is a Medres Escape 58.
Is the machine ResMed S8 or S9
S9 should look like this
http://www.resmed.com/au/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

When you get your own machine make sure it don,t have Escape in the name like S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto
(both are not data capable machines)
You,re better off with newer (not S8) data capable machine like 9 Elite or S9 AutoSet

The S9 have much more features than the S8 like rainout protection with the climate line (heated hose).

Post Reply Post Reply
I used the ramp feature only for the first few nights after getting my machine. I started out with a straight CPAP setting at 10.0 and would just go straight to that pressure. It did feel a little weird at first, but I adapted to that in a day or two. I've never used the EPR feature on my machine either. My logic behind this is that if the machine goes straight to my 10.0 setting and stays there all night, I have a better idea how well I've got the mask fitted to my face to minimize leaks.

The Resmed S9 machines do have a mask fit feature where you press down on the big knob for 3 seconds and the machines goes right to the maximum pressure setting so you can test for leaks at that setting. If you've got an acceptable unintentional leak rate, you'll get Mr. Green Smiley Face Grin, meaning you have a good fit. If not, then Mr. Red Frowny Face Angry: shows up in the display. Then when you are comfortable with the way the mask fits on your face, you can press down on the big knob again and the pressure will drop back to whatever your startup pressure is set at.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I always turn off the machine when I'm de-masked because the full flow of the air makes so much noise, hence restarting retriggers the ramp, I think my ramp is set to 20 mins. I used the ramp button when I first started but eventually didn't need it and since switching to nasal pillows I really don't notice the pressure anymore. In fact my pressure seemed so low at first that I kept checking my numbers to see if something was wrong with my machine. I have noticed that the pressure appears to be higher, depending on my sleep position, e.g. greater when sleeping on my back than my side.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2012, 06:34 PM)zonk Wrote:
(04-10-2012, 07:14 AM)kitley Wrote: My loaner machine is a Medres Escape 58.
Is the machine ResMed S8 or S9
S9 should look like this
http://www.resmed.com/au/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

When you get your own machine make sure it don,t have Escape in the name like S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto
(both are not data capable machines)
You,re better off with newer (not S8) data capable machine like 9 Elite or S9 AutoSet

The S9 have much more features than the S8 like rainout protection with the climate line (heated hose).

haha...must be a s8, not 5 8. Too old, new glasses too. Good to know Zonk...I do want a machine that gives me data. Not sure at this point what to do with, but am sure I will figure it out in time. Meanwhile...just had my 10th night with cpap, and had a great nights sleep...yeah!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,628 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,347 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,345 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,646 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.