Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what would be the best machine to get, and where?
what would be the best machine to get, and where?
seeing as my apnea is as bad as it is I am thinking top of the line auto one

being extremely new to all this I thought I would ask for some advice
the locals want to charge $1500 for a base unit, I am not sure how much to trust them.

will a base unit be enough or will a high end auto one be a better choice in the long run? what one will do a better job?

I am in Canada, hope I am not stuck for suppliers.

hope to be ordering a machine very soon, also need to know what masks one should look at. had just the nose one for testing, found that at times lots of air went out my mouth. not sure if a mouth and nose or full face mask would be better.

looking for feed back

thanks
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: what would be the best machine to get, and where?
Hi space45, welcome aboard
You and your doctor need data to evaluate how the the therapy is working, machine that tells you AHI and whether mask fitting as should is way better than blower just blow air and tells you nothing other than how many hours using the machine each night
For the price of base unit $1500 in Canada or Australia, you can can get high end auto machine from US and have money left over
Read here about machines choices and what machines to avoid
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Suppliers #2 and #10 ship outside US http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

As for mask choice, everyone is different but in general full face mask is a bit trickier than nasal or nasal pillows masks, chinstrap can helps keep mouth closed while using nasal masks

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Stan, you are on the right track. You should definitely buy an automatic machine and buying it and your mask from the U.S. will save you lots of dollars.
I wasn't able to try on masks and have just been ordering them on recommendations from what I think sounds would suit me from this site and then doing further homework. Probably not the way to do it but I am not in a position to try and return.
I am lucky to have a good supplier where the masks are very cheap.
Good luck on your journey.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Advise please.

I am also looking at CPAP machines. In particular this one:
PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP & Heated Humidifier DS460HS

I have reviewed your list of machines not to get, and this one does not seem to be on the list. I have an older PR System One which works fine, but does not collect any data. It is the 251P series. I am only getting a new machine so I can get data. Does this make sense?

Based on what I am reading here, the only way to get on top of my sleep is to go into the doctor with data. Otherwise how can he help me?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 12:19 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: Advise please.

I am also looking at CPAP machines. In particular this one:
PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP & Heated Humidifier DS460HS
Hi readyforsleep, welcome aboard
PRS1 460 is fixed pressure data capable machine. you can get PRS1 Auto 560, for a few dollars more which is both CPAP and APAP (two machines in one) a better buy. comparison guides http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 01:48 AM)space45 Wrote: Being extremely new to all this I thought I would ask for some advice the locals want to charge $1500 for a base unit, I am not sure how much to trust them.

Have you become familiar with the government programs in your province? In Ontario, for example, the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) supplier /w Assistive Devices Program (ADP) available to everyone is cheaper than on-line pricing from the US even without additional private insurance.

Consumable supplies are definitely cheaper from the US depending on shipping options (for example avoid the UPS $50 cross-border scam).

Good luck from one new hosehead to another!
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in B.C. and have asked around about Gov programs to help pay for machines, there does not seem to be any

looking at 2 machines

S9 AutoSet $950 CAD (H5i Included).

PR System One REMstar 60 Auto Machine $850 CAD (Humidifier Included).

leaning to the S9 right now, the climate control for the humidifier seems like it may be a cool thing
I have no idea about any of this
have a over night stay at a sleep clinic coming up but not sure when, on the 10th of next month is the first appointment for that doc. if they do the over night they will tell me then I hope

I am guessing the S9 will handle any problems I may have, so no matter what the doc says the S9 will fill the bill, that is my guess and hope. info if I am wrong would be a god sent seeing as I hope to buy tomorrow.

looking at the soft fabric mask, looks nice, any help or advice on masks would be of great help as well.

thanks
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
looking into things further
New, Open Box ResMed S9 VPAP Auto w/ Heated Humidifier $1049.00 USD
New, Open Box ResMed S9 VPAP S w/ Heated Humidifier $925.00 USD

not sure what one would be the best to get, rule of thumb is pay the bucks and get the good stuff. not sure if that applies here as one can waste money real easy when you have no idea what your doing.

not looking for doc type info, just what you guys think and know on the subject

thanks
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2014, 07:02 PM)space45 Wrote: have a over night stay at a sleep clinic coming up but not sure when, on the 10th of next month is the first appointment for that doc. if they do the over night they will tell me then I hope

I am guessing the S9 will handle any problems I may have, so no matter what the doc says the S9 will fill the bill, that is my guess and hope. info if I am wrong would be a god sent seeing as I hope to buy tomorrow.

There are people on these forums with years of experience who can help you with equipment selection.

I would caution about buying a machine too early. If you have the resources available then go ahead and have your sleep study then follow up with a titration study. The sleep study should characterize the apnea and severity. The titration study will result in a medical prescription that specifies the device class and prescribed settings. There are different kinds of S9 each of which have different capabilities for applying treatment based on the results of the titration study (i.e., CPAP, APAP, VPAP, VPAP SV). The costs range anywhere from $1000 - $4000 ballpark estimate.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree entirely with SleepWrangler. This is one field where paying top dollar doesn't automatically get the "best" machine. Each of us is different and there are several different types of apnea (obstructive, central, mixed, complex). Jumping in and buying a machine without proper diagnosis might end up costing more for a machine that's not optimum for your condition. Get the tests done first then talk with your doctor about which is the optimum machine for you.

Even after the tests, I'd be inclined to rent a machine for a while and see how it goes. Some machines which are notionally similar actually have very different effects on individuals. For example I have tried both the Philips BiPAP ASV and the ResMed VPAP Adapt - on paper they are very similar, but the ResMed was far more comfortable and effective for me. Other people have found the opposite.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,170 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,756 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,250 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.