Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

which setting helps with mouth puffs?
which setting helps with mouth puffs?
I am not a mouth breather, but puffs of air come out of my mouth and wake me up.  Chin strap solves issue but I absolutely hate it and have resorted to taping mouth shut.  Most times it works, but if I don't tape shut tight enough still happens.  With the bi-pap, is the inhalation or exhalation setting the one that most aligns with the mouth puffs?  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: which setting helps with mouth puffs?
The higher the pressure used the more chance you have of air escaping your lips. You don't want to adjust your pressure because of mouth leaks. You can try a soft cervical collar to try and keep your jaw closed or you can try a full face mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My pressures have never been ideal as yet.  Dr had way too high, and I was having high ahi until it was suggested here to lower.  Reduced AHI to around 1 and took care of bloating, however, I still have these mouth puffs.  I believe they should be reduced further while watching that AHI do not increase.  I just want to know if it is the epap or ipap that is more likely to affect the mouth puffs.  Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back! We talked before. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...k-to-sleep

Glad the lower settings have continued to work for you, and really your pressure is still pretty low. If you were to reduce any pressure setting, it has to be the IPAP, as the EPAP is essential to maintaining your airway. Usually puffs of air in the mouth eventually disappear, but you can try using OpalRose's tongue-suck technique. Basically placing the tongue behind your front teeth and creating some suction against the roof of your mouth.

Many members have learned to control air pressure to the extent they can talk, drink and control their breathing, even if the mouth is open. It can be done, and maybe we could suggest some exercises to help you along.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
for tongue suck technique --- see my siggy
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2017, 11:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Many members have learned to control air pressure to the extent they can talk, drink and control their breathing, even if the mouth is open. 

It is easier to eat, drink, and talk while controlling breathing than it is to stop puffs of air escaping at times, especially if your mouth gets a little dry.  This still bothers me after more than twenty years using CPAP.  Only way is to stop all chance of air escaping through the mouth, but I don't recommend doing this.  Some tape, someone I know uses an exercise band and tape it behind his head, another uses a boil and bite gum thing (no idea where he got it) and another uses a mouth piece that goes over his lips with a band that goes round his head.  (I got distracted, and I was going to ask where he got it as it was ideal for Nasal Pillows.  It didn't look as if it was made for Sleep Apnea, but it did look promising.  When I looked round again he was gone! 
I so wanted to try that.  If he reads this can he let me now where he got it, or how he made it. (Edi/Sco)
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2017, 11:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Welcome back!  We talked before. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...k-to-sleep

Glad the lower settings have continued to work for you, and really your pressure is still pretty low.  If you were to reduce any pressure setting, it has to be the IPAP, as the EPAP is essential to maintaining your airway.  Usually puffs of air in the mouth eventually disappear, but you can try using OpalRose's tongue-suck technique.  Basically placing the tongue behind your front teeth and creating some suction against the roof of your mouth.

Many members have learned to control air pressure to the extent they can talk, drink and control their breathing, even if the mouth is open.  It can be done, and maybe we could suggest some exercises to help you along.

Thank you, and thank you again for your suggestions.  They have helped immensely.  I am familiar with the tongue sucking, however, it doesn't work for me as I have orthodontic aligners I wear at night and it fits a bit behind the teeth on roof of mouth, so I cannot get a good seal. I hope I explained it enough to understand.  I will try reducing the ipap .2 and keep the epap where it is.  Just so I understand- I think dr had told me the epap was associated with the bloating.  Does that sound right?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's hard to say. EPAP is the lower pressure during exhale, and aerophagia could be sensitive to any pressure that exceeds the seal of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) muscle. IMO pressure is pressure, and it doesn't matter when it occurs. I am reluctant to guess whether the LES is more open to air passage during any phase of the respiratory cycle. There are supposed to be some things you can do to strengthen the LES which should improve your ability to resist air from entering the stomach. I can only suggest you search for those solutions, and if you have GERD, to treat that first.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 805 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.