Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

whining air noise from Resmed airsense 10 auto
whining air noise from Resmed airsense 10 auto
hello all,
I am so glad you are out there - it makes me feel much less alone.
btw there was a thread about this - but now I've joined and logged in I cannot find it.
I am new to CPAP therapy, but it is great to get a good nights sleep again.
Or it was.....
I had a trial machine for 2 months - the same model Airsense 10 auto. Worked a treat - never missed a beat.
As a member from WA mentioned, the pricing here is Oz is outrageous, so I have bought a new machine online. I new there was a risk without a local agend :( It has worked fine for a bit over a week, and then the last two nights it has woken me and my husband up with a whining air noise when I inhale. And the bigger the inhale the bigger the noise. After a bit more searching before bed last night I found (somewhere on the internet) someone mentioned the seals on the builtin water tank had caused them a problem.
Sure enough, when the noise started after a few hours sleep, I played with the tank, holding it more firmly closed while the machine was still running, and the amount of aiir leakage and hence noise decreased. In the end my hubby had a look at it, and we found that the internal seal in the tank is very loose.
I also noticed that although the inside of the top of the tank is usually misted over with humidity, it was completely dry and clear looking. (I had the humidity set on 3 as on 4 I was getting rainout). I wondered if the escaping air was also bringing downn the humidity coming to me? (less important).
Anyway, after refilling the tank and restarting the machine, with the humidity turned up to 5 (and then adjusted back down to 4 cos it was too wet! in there) there was no more leaking or noise for the rest of the night.
Atm the plan is to see what happens tonight.
But I'm keen to know if anyone else has any insights here, and if it is a flaw in my tank or a feature of the design and hence needing constant adjustment to work quietly??

Please note I am a novice with the machine - only got into the clinical program for the first time last night after seeing online how to do it.... will investigate the sleepyhead software when am feeling brave. :unsure:
many thanks
bunter
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: whining air noise from Resmed airsense 10 auto
Welcome

It's a common problem with the Resmed Airsense 10 humidifier tanks. they don't seem to be built with quality in mind. Luckily, the tanks are not that expensive. The standard tank is $22 US and dishwasher safe tank is $32 US.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 04:27 PM)AlanE Wrote: Welcome

It's a common problem with the Resmed Airsense 10 humidifier tanks. they don't seem to be built with quality in mind. Luckily, the tanks are not that expensive. The standard tank is $22 US and dishwasher safe tank is $32 US.

thanks for the quick response AlanE. Thanks
I think that since I bought the machine new, I had better contact the supplier about a replacement.....
Does anyone have any stats on the percentage likelihood of getting another dud?
??Presumably Resmed are aware of the issue and are doing something about it? Huhsign
cheers
bunter
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome from FL.

Got mine in July/2015. It has done it once so far, I just unseated and then re-seated the tank. Hasn't happened again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 05:57 PM)ginzo Wrote: Welcome from FL.

Got mine in July/2015. It has done it once so far, I just unseated and then re-seated the tank. Hasn't happened again.

promising news.
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bunter and welcome to the forum! I'm not knowledgeable with all this cause I'm new too. Just thought I'd respond cause what you said in your post is so true! I feel the same way, that now having found this wonderful forum with all the friendly helpful people I don't seem quite so alone in my CPAP journey!! I can talk to my hubby but he's not going through it and tries to be understanding but it's not the same unless you're going through it too.
I'm hoping it's only a small percentage of the machines that have this problem as I'm getting almost the same machine in November except I'm getting the Elite. Anyway, best of luck solving this problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bunter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hopefully, your machine will work well for you since you reseated the humidifier chamber.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 05:39 PM)bunter Wrote: I think that since I bought the machine new, I had better contact the supplier about a replacement.....

Would be the right thing to do.

(09-16-2015, 05:39 PM)bunter Wrote: Does anyone have any stats on the percentage likelihood of getting another dud?

Not even sure ResMed knows that but it is like everything else one takes a gamble on; raffles, lottery, spouse - 50% (either you will or you won't).
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Bunter - welcome aboard!

It is a known design defect but usually solved by tinkering with the seals, the humidifier gasket or the air filter. If this tinkering doesn't solve it (which happened with one of mine) the supplier should replace it - there is a 2 year warranty if I recall correctly. If you search the forum for Airsense 10 noise you are likely to find a thorough discussion of the topic.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the sound for the first time a couple of nights ago. My humidifier was empty. Put water in and it worked again. It seems, based on your comments, that the seal is totally dependent on adequate moisture. However, a level of 3 should be adequate since that is the factory set. If not, then I'd complain especially if you've not had the tank very long.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,713 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,256 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,592 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,760 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.