Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If I use Auto setting on ResMed S9....
RE: If I use Auto setting on ResMed S9...
(07-22-2018, 09:40 AM)sleepy Bruce Wrote: I wasn't looking at my machine when I posted the previous message. You are correct the two modes are CPap and Autoset. 
My question should have read Autoset mode. If you have the default settings of 4 and 20 what causes the machine to increase pressure and does it ever drop back down once its been increased. Is mask leakage the determining factor? My aSSUMPTION IS THAT THE MACHINE WOULD START AT 4 AND then increase incrementally until a max of 20 is reached and never back down until the machine is shut off nd restarted.

When in auto, the machine changes pressure (increase and decrease) as its algorithm determines need. 

The RAMP feature is separate. It increases pressure until it reaches the treatment value.  It is used for comfort - to help people fall asleep at a lower pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9
(07-22-2018, 09:40 AM)sleepy Bruce Wrote: I wasn't looking at my machine when I posted the previous message. You are correct the two modes are CPap and Autoset. 
My question should have read Autoset mode. If you have the default settings of 4 and 20 what causes the machine to increase pressure and does it ever drop back down once its been increased. Is mask leakage the determining factor? My aSSUMPTION IS THAT THE MACHINE WOULD START AT 4 AND then increase incrementally until a max of 20 is reached and never back down until the machine is shut off nd restarted.

Ok, so the Title of your thread should say Auto (not AFlex)?  I will fix that because your question has been a bit confusing, since AFlex is not available on ResMed machines.

With that said, a setting of 4 and 20 is not optimal for most folk, but since you are using that as an example, I will attempt to answer your question, ”What causes the machine to increase pressure..

When the machine detects an event such as an Obstructives and Hypopneas, it will increase the pressure. Depending on the machine you have and the algorithm, the pressure may stay up for a period of time until the machine determines there are no more events. At that point the pressure may start to drop back down to your minimum pressure.

Other things that cause a machine to raise pressure is snores and flow limitations. Pressure will not increase if you experience Clear Airway events.

Your question on leaks and pressure increases has been answered by DeepBreathing above.
Please reread Post #3.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9
Another small point is that 4 is usually to low a start pressure for most people, set it to at least 6 as a start pressure but most require 7 or 8.
I would have the machine on Auto/APAP.  It will give you, or at least most people the best treatment.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If I use Auto setting on ResMed S9....
[attachment=7481]So I'm trying to post my sleepyhead data graphs from last night I can get the thumnail but not the full size graphs I must be overcomplicating it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If I use Auto setting on ResMed S9....
a soft cervical collar will help reduce those clusters of obstructive apnea. wait for confirmation from more experienced members but to me it looks like you need to raise your max pressure above the 13cm it's maxing out at now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 154 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,185 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 393 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.