Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

windows 10 again
RE: windows 10 again
(05-12-2021, 08:59 PM)SevereApnea Wrote: directory naming: 
does it matter if it's OSCAR data or OSCAR_data?

When using a separated file or directory name in a command line, like the one I posted above, the command interpreter may not see the complete directory name.  A command issued from a prompt normally treats a blank space in the command to mean a separation of parameters or options.  To allow for a space in a file or directory name, I would recommend placing the path within quotes.  

The new command would look like this:
C:\Program Files\OSCAR\OSCAR.exe --datadir "C:\users\your username\Documents\OSCAR Data"
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found it strange that 2 people within the past week have reported problems with accessing the data file locations for OSCAR using Windows 10.  Today, out of the clear blue, my Windows 7 computer set my entire 4Tb "E:\ " data drive to Read Only.  All normal attempts using the "Properties" option to remove the Read Only attribute weren't allowed.  I finally had to issue some arcane commands in the Command Prompt before it would release this attribute.  By "arcane", I mean commands that I don't ever recall having to use my entire time using computers (since the early '80's).

I was telling my wife the above scenario when see informed me that for the past week her Excel and Word files on her work computer are being set to read only without warning. Even while she is working on the file.

Also, about a week ago, the Microsoft Security software that has been silent on my computer for many years (I forgot it was even there) started warning about my "hosts" file contained malware.  An inspection of the file showed it to be empty.

Color me crazy, but something is amiss here.

Is anyone else experiencing any anomalies in Windows lately?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night it wouldn't open Outlook from the Taskbar offering to open in offline mode only or similar message.

One option for me would be to revert to dual Boot W10 with W7, each having a specific purpose.

Another would be to defer W10 updates to once weekly with regular restore points every week?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2021, 08:44 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Also, about a week ago, the Microsoft Security software that has been silent on my computer for many years (I forgot it was even there) started warning about my "hosts" file contained malware.  An inspection of the file showed it to be empty.

When I have seen that warning in the past, it was malware or PUP or website simulating a Microsoft Security warning.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen the fake MS security before, but this was the real deal. It popped up when I was using File Explorer and not any web browser was open. Since I use a different Anti Virus brand, I uninstalled the MS Security software and the problem went away. I figured it was a marketing ploy at the time.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Not entirely the same but this was weird.

I was in the middle of watching a youtube video and suddenly my Bluetooth just dropped out. No sign of it, despite installed drivers. Rebooted, suddenly was complaining about USB devices it couldn't start (presumably the USB hardware because it wasn't any of my external USB devices). Couldn't get this to work for days, after multiple reboots, drivers, bios patching even, so finally I gave in and got a USB BT dongle.... then my computer hung, I rebooted, it installed some apparently new Windows updates and oh LOOK. Hello, again, Bluetooth... But Windows has been doing some funny crud for me lately, too with permissions etc.

Though whether it's my fault or Windows' that, for the life of me, I can't get FlashPAP to launch OSCAR, I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ Ratchick.
Wow that sounds like a major pain. I thought i had problems. At least you can do the bios stuff etc. But it sounds like a windows issue.

@Crimson Nape and Guy
I haven't tackled the batch files, yet. Still need to get my son over to help with this.
Strange though that OSCAR still works on the laptop with W10 despite current updates. So yes I think I may have messed something up on the main desktop.

Plan for the week ahead: Reinstall  W7 and W10 and have a dual boot set up. That way I can run OSCAR in W7 offline and let W10 play catch up to its heart content.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ Ratchick.
Wow that sounds like a major pain. I thought i had problems. At least you can do the bios stuff etc. But it sounds like a windows issue.

@Crimson Nape and Guy
I haven't tackled the batch files, yet. Still need to get my son over to help with this.
Strange though that OSCAR still works on the laptop with W10 despite current updates. So yes I think I may have messed something up on the main desktop.

Plan for the week ahead: Reinstall  W7 and W10 and have a dual boot set up. That way I can run OSCAR in W7 offline and let W10 play catch up to its heart content.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2021, 09:07 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: The log looks normal, which is a clue of sorts. The log resembles a crash because of a conflict between video and the graphics code, but you've already checked that by starting with the Shift key. But I've recently seen one case where the software graphics engine (invoked by the shift key) caused OSCAR to crash. So let's pursue that possibility for a moment.

Look at this post and download and unzip the file. That will give you a batch file that you can run from a power shell window. Run that and select option 2. Then start OSCAR and see if the results are any better. If not, run the batch file again and try option 3.

You said you had a new computer. What kind of computer is it, what is the graphics resolution, and is the graphics driver up to date? How much free space is on the Z: drive?

The next step after this is to determine if the OSCAR_Data structure on your Z: drive has been corrupted in some way. Create a zip file of the entire Z:/CHRIS/Health/Sleep Apnea/OSCAR data directory and upload it to my Dropbox folder.

Thanks Guy, I am back at trying to sort this.
(Can't dual boot, can't install windows 7: it won't recognize USB/mouse/keyboard.)

So, back to Windows 10. New install.

Updated Windows and all drivers including Nvidia drivers.

Installed OSCAR as per usual. Pointed it to my OSCAR DATA directory. It hangs again. 

As requested I created a zip file but it is large: 3.27 GB, over your Dropbox limit of 2GB. There are quite a few profiles in there.

I can upload it to my Google Drive if you like, and PM you the link if you think there is a quick way to fix some corruption.

However, I think I may have to just have to start all over again by creating a new directory.

What do you think would be best?
Post Reply Post Reply
Guy, I could upload just the current profile: would that help?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,388 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
  multiple windows ? zaienk 4 311 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  OSCAR 1.5.1 Windows 10 sleeper2460 2 747 11-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  wifi EzShare SD Card for Windows 11 Home Greg1582378 3 832 09-23-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Successfully installed InfoSmart on Windows 10 DrmWEaver 5 2,377 12-07-2022, 09:24 AM
  Installing latest OSCAR on an old Windows PC Rcgop 8 822 07-17-2022, 09:08 AM
  Oscar causing Right click on desktop on windows 11 to crash Explore? hh9797 3 632 06-06-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: hh9797

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.