Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

windows 10 again
RE: windows 10 again
(05-22-2021, 10:54 PM)SevereApnea Wrote: Guy, I could upload just the current profile: would that help?

Could you zip up your data directory but exclude profiles not of interest? That would include you general preference settings as well.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes thanks Guy it is on its way
Current profile = CB 2021+
Logs
Preferences.xml
profile.xml

Hope this helps and doesn't take up too much of your time!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your data hierarchy is incorrect.  In the OSCAR_Data (or whatever name you used) folder, besides the logs folder there should be a folder named "Profiles". Create that folder, then move your "CB 2021+" folder into the Profiles folder.

Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok it might look like that because I copied the profile and the xml files to a folder to upload to your dropbox to reduce the size to upload to your dropbox.

Directory is as per attachment: I have not changed these around.

External Drive = Z
Z:\CHRIS\Health\Sleep Apnea\OSCAR data contains

...logs
...profiles
......CB 2020
......CB 2021+
......CB AutoSense For Her
......CB For Her
......CB Vauto
......CBDemo2020
......ChrisXXXXXX
...Screenshots
...Preferences
...Profiles
...OSCAR profiles.txt

The CB 2021+ and all other profiles are in the Profiles folder.

It seems I am missing something obvious, but what?
[attachment=32433]
Post Reply Post Reply
As you can see from my post, once I put your profile in the correct directory, OSCAR worked fine. Since it works fine for me, I doubt there is a problem with the data.

Let's double check that your attempt to use the software graphics engine worked. Hold down the shift key, and keep it held down, when you double click on OSCAR to start it running. After OSCAR crashes or you need to shut it down, include the first 50 lines or so from logs/debug.txt in your reply to me.

I wonder if you have a hardware issue?

Two possible configuration problems occur to me:

1) Is there a possible conflict in using the letter Z for your external drive? Maybe some other program installed in your computer also uses Z:? When I assign external drive letters, I always avoid X, Y, and Z. I don't recall in detail why I first started doing that, but Z was conflicting with something.

2) You say your SSD is connected by USB. Is that USB C or USB 3? I.e., is it a modern USB port or an older style one? OSCAR does a lot of I/O to the database.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Guy
Thanks for that. Reassuring to know there is no corrupt files. I've done a W10 drive optimise on the Z drive and found no errors.

The Z drive goes via a USB-C on this new PC, on the W7 PC it ran fine via USB 3.2.

Perhaps W10 doesn't like the Z drive allocation as you say. We installed W10 again on the weekend and I am in the process of replacing the standard software.

The plan now on Wed/day off work is to install OSCAR and set up the OSCAR data directory in the standard user profile\documents directory. Although I won't have the OSCAR data on my external drive I can back this up to the cloud and locally on a regular basis anyway. Fingers crossed but I am sure this will work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lockfile maybe?

It is now Sunday and I have all my Windows 10 stuff and running. Graphics drivers, printer drivers, MS 365, Acronis 2021, Irfanview 64 bit, Chrome and Abobe DC desktop app.

Oh and ResScan and that works fine.

Restore points before each software install.

Big breath: time to Install Oscar.

But wait. You can already read my profile so maybe it's not the profile but the Z:\ drive.

So: I moved ALL my Z:\ drive data off the drive, formatted it with NTFS and moved all the data back. Then ran Windows error checking optimise. Everything working fine.

One last thing to try: I copied all off my Oscar profiles from my win10 Desktop (from the Z:\ drive) to my Win10 Toshiba laptop, where my usual Oscar_Data is under user profiles\documents etc.  So, 12 profiles in all. My SD card was not connected to the laptop. I set Preferences to do NOT Automatically load last used profile on startup.

OSCAR will open them All, EXCEPT the one I last used in my Windows 10 desktop. I get a lock file error message. 

[attachment=32549]

(I don't use Cloud Storage at the moment.)

Looking at the forum this seemed to be sleepyhead issues.
I shut down Oscar on the laptop.
I removed the Lockfile to the desktop.
Then OSCAR Crashes whenever I try to start it.
I can go back to File Explorer and remove the Lockfile and then Oscar starts again.
Everytime I try and open my CB 2021+ profile it recreates the Lockfile and then crashes next time.

interestingly the lockfile has no file extension but opening it in Notepad it has the current Computer Name in simple text. 

could this be my issue?
can I simply remove the lockfile from Z:\CHRIS\Health\Sleep Apnea\OSCAR data\Profiles\CB 2021+ and go ahead and install Oscar into my Windows 10 Desktop?
I would like it pointed to my Z:\CHRIS\Health\Sleep Apnea\OSCAR data\Profiles\CB 2021+ if at all possible.

thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
You should be able just to click OK on the lockfile message and OSCAR will clear the lockfile. The lockfile is intended to detect two computers trying to access the same profile at the same time. As long as you are not doing that, just click OK to continue.

The lockfile situation can happen when OSCAR crashes or when you copy a profile from another machine while OSCAR on that machine has the profile open.

At this time, if you still have al the data on the SD card, I do suggest deleting the CB 2021+ profile and recreating it.

I don't think there should be a problem with using the Z:\ drive, though I do recommend assigning a drive letter other than Z:.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Guy
I think i am beginning to understand that.

I will do all that.
Delete the 2021+ profile from the Z drive.
Then not use the letters X Y or Z for the drives.

I am on the mobile phone now having a lie down.

I got back from lunch:
Blue screen windows cant find winloader or something.
Why did it reboot? I had delayed automatic updates!
Windows CD disc system repair no go.
Troubleshoot couldnt repair windows.
Said something about finding windows onthe E drive!!
Troubleshooting going round in circles cant find restore point cause it cant load windows so cant use advanced options and start up repair.
Removed all other drives
Swapped over one of each M.2 drives hoping to find a boot record. No luck. Thanks Microsoft. 

Just installed W10 afresh.
I will get a few things up and running. Then connect  my drives and assign them fixed drive letters.
Main thing is to get OSCAR back.

Bring back windows 7. thanks for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Guy

Windows 10 installed again.
this time the long Update did install the Nvidia drivers automatically, previously I had to do this manually.

then before I did anything else I tackled OSCAR.

Moved the old profile CB 2021+ to another drive (need to summaries journals files)

OSCAR installed beautifully just as it should.

created new Profile with the same name.
Imported data from my For Her SD card and my Vauto SD card.
And then copied over journals summaries data for the notes.
as you mentioned there is no lockfile.
Phew!

Next I will need to create a restore disc/recovery USB and then install all my other programs.

Welcome back OSCAR! many thanks for your tips and patience. Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,421 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
  multiple windows ? zaienk 4 315 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  OSCAR 1.5.1 Windows 10 sleeper2460 2 751 11-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  wifi EzShare SD Card for Windows 11 Home Greg1582378 3 835 09-23-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Successfully installed InfoSmart on Windows 10 DrmWEaver 5 2,377 12-07-2022, 09:24 AM
  Installing latest OSCAR on an old Windows PC Rcgop 8 822 07-17-2022, 09:08 AM
  Oscar causing Right click on desktop on windows 11 to crash Explore? hh9797 3 634 06-06-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: hh9797

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.